Jo's CD Diary

MissyJo

Do I just get posting then...?

I don't write much but will use this to record the joys and pains of the CD journey.

Coming to the end of day 2 now....had no energy and have laid around most of the day. I just wanted to be confortable and calm. I did use the time to start using some affirmations and to remind myself that this is my choice. My favourite affirmations are:

• I can effortlessly stay on track because this is my choice
  • The hunger pangs I am experiencing are a sign that my body is changing and I embrace this with joy
  • I can change and I can succeed
I went for a long over the fields with my doggies at about 6pm and enjoyed the sunshine. Initially, my brain was twittering on about the fact that I will 'be on this all summer' and 'miss the bbq season' and 'lovely salads' and 'why don't I just do a normal diet?'.....I was feeling a bit defeated.

I decided to focus instead about the positives I will experience on my Cambridge journey....
  • The fact that I have started is a positive in itself....I have initiated change
  • I don't have to think about food for a while
  • My body is already changing
  • Clothes that are too small will soon become available to me
  • This is temporary....2-4 months is a small amount of time in the bigger picture
  • Food is just one small pleasure in a world of lovely things
  • I'll save money!!
  • I can have a break from running and the gym
  • I'll have more time on my hands
  • I am going to discover myself away from the shelter of food.
I am picking up loads of inspiration and quotes from everyone else's posts and feeling good again!:eek:

Hi Jo, I see so much of myself in that post!! You have a similar amount of weight to lose to me too. You'll be there in no time! Just keep saying 'It's not forever, all the food will still be there in a couple of months'

:)

Hey ladies!! So good of you to stop by and say hello. This forum is going to be so important to me....kept me going last night when I felt myself buckling under. Looking forward to moving forward along side you xxxx Yeeeeeha xx

This forum is the best for support chick.. honestly.. so keep posting.!

and in sure me and carla will stop by to see how your doing.x

Love that Shanny....so immensely supportive xx

Day 3 and a bit of history

Hi ladies,

How pleased was I to wake up and see that people had posted?? I am not alone.....yay!!

I was struggling a bit last night and suffering from the worst hunger imaginable....(though you have been there, I am sure). I was drinking marigold veg stock and worried about the carbs and nothing seemed to distract me from my starvation except your blogs. Brilliant. :D:kissass::kissass::kissass:

I had laid around and slept much of the day....seemed like the only way of dealing with the feelings of deprivation. I found just lying in bed all cosy and running through those mental affirmations really helped.

History wise (I'll post pics when I can)

1995-2005 fluctuated between 15 and 18 stones....size 18 to 22. Lack of activity and a bad weekend lager habit, plus pies :eek:. Yes pies. :eek:

2007 started to feel conscious of my lard and joined slimming world :wave_cry:

2007-2009 went from 17stoneish to 12 stone but weight seemed to want to gravitate back up to 13.5 stones regardless of intervention. Still reliant upon diet mainly though started walking more. Binned alcohol for good :cry::p

2009- Reached 13.5 stones and did CD for the first time to get into an unforgiving bridesmaid's dress. Looked good at 10st 12 but went down to 9st12. Didn't do stabilisation right but blamed the diet for wrecking my metabolism when the weight went straight back on (2 stones back in 6 months took me to 11.12 by Dec 2009). To be honest I had taken up running and wasn't stuffing my face- had a right to be annoyed. But my thinking was skewed, looking back :sigh:

Dec 2009-Now Battled to stop weight going back on. Regular gym attendance (bodypump classes) plus running (4.5 miles at least twice a week) meant that I was fit as a butcher's pup but the weight gain was just relentless. Joined SW again....2 pound off, 2 pound on for 4 months. Great for stabilisation but just could not lose. Went to WW....after 5 weeks of the same the consultant told me to see my doc. Doc suspects PCOS but has not managed to establish this. I know there must be a hormonal root to the problem because no-one can be that active and committed and still gain.

I got stuck in a cylce where I'd diet and work out, get zero results then fall of the wagon, gain....try again.....zero results....binge and so on until my weight all came back.

I went to New York last week and had a great time. Didn't go mental but ate pretty much what I liked....walked miles and ran in Central Park. Still gained 6 pounds :mad:

I think that was a bit of a turning point. The fact that I am now the same weight as before my last CD was just annoying. I had blamed CD for my weight gain woes to anyone who would listen....and my hubby and family agreed.

Last week I floated the idea of re-starting with my hubby (A) and he agreed with me. I couldn't believe it....I asked him why when previously he has tried to talk me out of getting stuck in what I had labelled the 'Cambridge Trap' and he said 'You have tried everything, Jo.'

He was right. I have. I need to give myself permission to do what works for me.

Fact: Conventional eating plans plus exercise help me to maintain and tone but do not allow me to reduce my weight

Fact: I love my exercise and am fed up that I will need a wee break....but I will come back to it as an essential part of maintaining

Fact: It seems likely that I have some hormonal weight gain/metablolic resistence issues that mean I will need to manage my intake of sugars for life

Fact: Cambridge is the best route for me to re-start and get back to slim. I can plan for the rest of my life later. I need results now.

So....that's me. I was an 18 stone size 24 when I started this journey and am now 13.5 stones and a size 14 (oddly....I was a 16 last time I was this weight...the toning must be working!!)

I am finding it tough....but I want to get there so bad that I'll stick

xx Jo:jelous:

wow Jo size 24.. and now a lovely slim 14 way to go hun.! i adore body pump and combat each week!

I had a personal trainer this year and the results were fab honestly.. so keep up the diet and the exercising and you will be happy again chick..x!

Thanks so much Shanny. I will take stablisation seriously this time petal. You seem close to goal? How are you feeling? x

I feel fine but Jo I've been Herr before lost all my weight in 2009 4 stone and gained some back..

But I'm delighted that I'm nearly here again in time for summer.

What day is your weigh in ?

Thursday my love....I started Saturday but want to have a regular Thursday weigh in. Are we allowed veg stock in the first 2 weeks btw?

You have done amazingly already x

Yay, another Thursday girl like me :D

I was exactly the same with exercise, I could easily maintain but not manage to lose, though I was cheating with dieting, probably eating bigger portions than I should too. At least we know what to do when it's all off :)

New York, jealous! I would love to go, OH isn't keen though. Plus I'd probably need to take a 2nd mortgage out for what I would spend :D

I love your affirmations.... I might have to steal them!!!! Totally understand the lack of energy thing; luckily for me at the moment all I need to do is stay inside and do my work to finish my degree in a couple of weeks (minimins unfortunately is not conducive to this!)
CD makes me feel smug in that I know it will work against my success to slog my guts out exercising, so I can languish in my bed, drink tea and do my work without guilt! woop!!!

Good luck xxx

Afternoon ladies....just back from a bracing walk by the beach.

Shanny: Thank-you for that. Can we have Bovril as well?

CP: Totally with you there. Slimming clubs deny it but some people can't lose weight by their rules...plateau defo exists. My portions on SW weren't dainty like. New York was tremendous. 8 days of bagels, pancakes and pizza slices. What worries your OH? xx

Charlotte: You are so brave doing this so close to your degree....feel that power girl!! I pinched my affirmations from elsewhere so nick em at will. They work....so far.

How is everyone today? xxxxx

Hi ladies,

How pleased was I to wake up and see that people had posted?? I am not alone.....yay!!

I was struggling a bit last night and suffering from the worst hunger imaginable....(though you have been there, I am sure). I was drinking marigold veg stock and worried about the carbs and nothing seemed to distract me from my starvation except your blogs. Brilliant. :D:kissass::kissass::kissass:

I had laid around and slept much of the day....seemed like the only way of dealing with the feelings of deprivation. I found just lying in bed all cosy and running through those mental affirmations really helped.

History wise (I'll post pics when I can)

1995-2005 fluctuated between 15 and 18 stones....size 18 to 22. Lack of activity and a bad weekend lager habit, plus pies :eek:. Yes pies. :eek:

2007 started to feel conscious of my lard and joined slimming world :wave_cry:

2007-2009 went from 17stoneish to 12 stone but weight seemed to want to gravitate back up to 13.5 stones regardless of intervention. Still reliant upon diet mainly though started walking more. Binned alcohol for good :cry::p

2009- Reached 13.5 stones and did CD for the first time to get into an unforgiving bridesmaid's dress. Looked good at 10st 12 but went down to 9st12. Didn't do stabilisation right but blamed the diet for wrecking my metabolism when the weight went straight back on (2 stones back in 6 months took me to 11.12 by Dec 2009). To be honest I had taken up running and wasn't stuffing my face- had a right to be annoyed. But my thinking was skewed, looking back :sigh:

Dec 2009-Now Battled to stop weight going back on. Regular gym attendance (bodypump classes) plus running (4.5 miles at least twice a week) meant that I was fit as a butcher's pup but the weight gain was just relentless. Joined SW again....2 pound off, 2 pound on for 4 months. Great for stabilisation but just could not lose. Went to WW....after 5 weeks of the same the consultant told me to see my doc. Doc suspects PCOS but has not managed to establish this. I know there must be a hormonal root to the problem because no-one can be that active and committed and still gain.

I got stuck in a cylce where I'd diet and work out, get zero results then fall of the wagon, gain....try again.....zero results....binge and so on until my weight all came back.

I went to New York last week and had a great time. Didn't go mental but ate pretty much what I liked....walked miles and ran in Central Park. Still gained 6 pounds :mad:

I think that was a bit of a turning point. The fact that I am now the same weight as before my last CD was just annoying. I had blamed CD for my weight gain woes to anyone who would listen....and my hubby and family agreed.

Last week I floated the idea of re-starting with my hubby (A) and he agreed with me. I couldn't believe it....I asked him why when previously he has tried to talk me out of getting stuck in what I had labelled the 'Cambridge Trap' and he said 'You have tried everything, Jo.'

He was right. I have. I need to give myself permission to do what works for me.

Fact: Conventional eating plans plus exercise help me to maintain and tone but do not allow me to reduce my weight

Fact: I love my exercise and am fed up that I will need a wee break....but I will come back to it as an essential part of maintaining

Fact: It seems likely that I have some hormonal weight gain/metablolic resistence issues that mean I will need to manage my intake of sugars for life

Fact: Cambridge is the best route for me to re-start and get back to slim. I can plan for the rest of my life later. I need results now.

So....that's me. I was an 18 stone size 24 when I started this journey and am now 13.5 stones and a size 14 (oddly....I was a 16 last time I was this weight...the toning must be working!!)

I am finding it tough....but I want to get there so bad that I'll stick

xx Jo:jelous:

Oh my God. You're me! Well, without the exercise thing, but I'm guessing you swapped one addiction for another, right? Please feel free to slap me if I'm wrong, but sometimes I think the only way of me staying slim for good would be to find a better hobby than eating - and what better hobby than exercise? Unfortunately, I'm not sure my knees could take it just at the mo. :D

But seriously - right up to the 17st to 12st line - that was me!! Well, apart from the lager habit - I've never struggled with that. But I too struggle desperately with carbs and have finally accepted that they'll just have to go. If you've read my diary here, you'll know that I'm currently wavering on the whole 'should I stick at Cambridge' thing (again :rolleyes:) - but the one thing I have realised is that my bread, cheese and chocolate binges have to go, because they're (quite literally) killing me.

Cambridge is a fantastic diet when you're in the right place to give it 100% (which I think you are, by the sound of your posts). :clap:

Well done on giving it another go, and just getting through these first few days. :happy096:

Dear Lily,

I am loving the similarity!! Fantastic- sometimes you feel like you are the only person on earth with a baked potato habit and a pants metabolism!! I am going to get on and read your diary in a mo...how do I find it?

Have to say that your posts are extremely illustrative and knowledgeable....they make so much sense. Thanks for the encouragement.

I don't actually know how much I weighed at my biggest because I was a scales dodger. About a month into the gym and the GI diet in 2005 I weighed in at 17stone8 so I guess I would have been about 18 in my pie-lager phase :-o

Do you think the weight loss from CD is sustainable if the carbs are minimised??

xx Jo

Afternoon ladies....just back from a bracing walk by the beach.

Shanny: Thank-you for that. Can we have Bovril as well?

CP: Totally with you there. Slimming clubs deny it but some people can't lose weight by their rules...plateau defo exists. My portions on SW weren't dainty like. New York was tremendous. 8 days of bagels, pancakes and pizza slices. What worries your OH? xx

Charlotte: You are so brave doing this so close to your degree....feel that power girl!! I pinched my affirmations from elsewhere so nick em at will. They work....so far.

How is everyone today? xxxxx

Ooh, the beach? I miss the beach on days like today. :(

Just popped back (after reading your post properly) to say that Bovril's a no-no. Too salty, sorry.

Aw shame :( Thanks though. Am running out of marigold but probs having too much anyway

The beach was amazing....love it x

Dear Lily,

I am loving the similarity!! Fantastic- sometimes you feel like you are the only person on earth with a baked potato habit and a pants metabolism!! I am going to get on and read your diary in a mo...how do I find it?

Have to say that your posts are extremely illustrative and knowledgeable....they make so much sense. Thanks for the encouragement.

I don't actually know how much I weighed at my biggest because I was a scales dodger. About a month into the gym and the GI diet in 2005 I weighed in at 17stone8 so I guess I would have been about 18 in my pie-lager phase :-o

Do you think the weight loss from CD is sustainable if the carbs are minimised??

xx Jo

LOL, we cross-posted. :D There's a link to my diary from my signature, if not, go back out of this thread and go to 'Lily's Lyrical Lollop to Lighterville'. :)

I'm not sure mine is the most inspirational diary in the world, LOL, but it's honest... I've spent the last 2 months (possibly more) going up and down the same range of the scales - so definitely don't do what I do. I know the theory backwards, I just have trouble putting it into practice. :D :D

I think the weight loss from CD is sustainable on any diet, actually - but you need to find the diet that works for you. Like you, I know I have huge problems with carbs - and so have reluctantly come to the conclusion that they're going to have to go if I have any chance of (a) sticking to Cambridge or (b) moving to a different diet.

Just having stern words with myself about eating them, or not eating them, just doesn't work. I'm guessing I'm addicted, scary though that is to admit. Eating bread has the same effect on me as having a cigarette does to an ex-smoker - it just sets me right off - and it seems to take days for me to pull myself together again.

My birthday was back in December, and a good friend of mine was really keen on buying me a session of hypnosis to see if that would help. But you know what? I wouldn't let her do it. I didn't want to be hypnotised not to want chocolate or bread again, LOL. How stupid is that? I guess all that demonstrates is that I really am addicted to those little carb blighters. :sigh:
Now, well, I rather wish I'd let her book me that session... :)

Last edited:
Back