Just a quick hello

Hi everyone, due to start the Dukan on Friday have already said my introductions in the main forum, but thought I should show my face in here too. Have many questions about the diet, things that are different when you read stuff on the internet from what is written in the book, will get my list together and bombard you with them all tomorrow.
Thanks,
Jill x

hi and welcome
post away im sure we can help in someway

Welcome Jill, I'm sure you'll find all your answers here - ask away. There are some things that appear in the book that don't really work in practise based on collective experience so you've got a head start with the trial and error aspect of it all.

Ok here goes

Thanks everyone for your offers of help. In the book unless I'm going blind I see no mention of weighing out Dairy products, but when I have looked on the internet people are saying 1kg of Dairy what is correct? also the unlimited protein (watching eggs though) is that still right? Now onto water, 1 and a half litres of fluids the book says but no mention of an upper limit (couldn't see that anyway) but I have read on the net that you should have no more than 2 litres. To tell you the truth, the more I read the more I'm confused. Also the attack can be 5 to 10 days long,which common sense tells me that the longer you are on the better weight loss but apparently people say no to that too. So any help on these would be great, also any other pitfall thats anyone came across in the beginning would help too.
I have done many diets in the past so know what things can stall you so will be sticking to mainly chicken, beef, fish, seafood and egg whites oh and the delicious looking oat bran. I have cleared all cupboards of crap and now only have Dukan friendly stuff in the house. Oh one more thing, diet cherry coke??? a no no?:) maybe I'll stick to water!! lol.
Thanks again, Jill.

Hiya-have you been onto the dukan site and worked out your true weight. This will also tell you how long you should be in attack for. There seems to be no proven greater weight loss for how long you are on attack for. I think its all relative and if you are bigger you'll lose more etc etc-the calculator online gives you a realistic and sensible option of attack for your size so id go with that. (if the site isnt under maintenance...grrr)

Both the book and the coaching site do not give an upper limit of dairy but i think its a case of everything in moderation. If you are having 4 yoghurts a day and your weight loss stagnates you'll know why...

Unlimited protein is a YES but again its the the case of not completely stuffing yourself just because you COULD eat 5 chickens a day. Eat until you are full and if you get peckish have chicken or something dukan friendly in the fridge to snack on...a snack for me might be a couple of chicken legs if im peckish...but obviously im eating in accordance with my current weight too-which is greater than those who have already lost a lot with this-never the less the weights dropping off!

hehe...re the diet cherry coke...i havnt looked...the general rule is if its 1 cal a glass or less its ok. Diet coke, dr pepper zero and sprite zero all come under this catagory...he list fanta on the coaching site but i cant find one low cal enough!! The coaching site does also say you can have sugar free squash (a new thing again!! which im not realy using yet as not bored of lovely water in this heat) and also sugar free jelly which you may not have come across yet.

Hope that helps a little from a well educated newbie myself, xxx

Thanks everyone for your offers of help. In the book unless I'm going blind I see no mention of weighing out Dairy products, but when I have looked on the internet people are saying 1kg of Dairy what is correct?

On attack diary is pretty much unlimited...however dairy does not suit everyone and you may not lose ....

also the unlimited protein (watching eggs though) is that still right?
protein the more you eat the more you lose and in the first few days when the hunger fails most diets you know you can eat , when you get to ketosis you will not feel as hungry so wont in therory pig out so much eggs whites fine yolks about 2 a day cholestrol issues here !!

Now onto water, 1 and a half litres of fluids the book says but no mention of an upper limit (couldn't see that anyway) but I have read on the net that you should have no more than 2 litres.

water no less than 2 litres to flush the kidneys as protein are hard on them ...as much as you want is good i did read you can drown after about 12 litres mind:D

To tell you the truth, the more I read the more I'm confused. Also the attack can be 5 to 10 days long,which common sense tells me that the longer you are on the better weight loss but apparently people say no to that too. So any help on these would be great, also any other pitfall thats anyone came across in the beginning would help too.
have you been on the dukan site and got your true weight it will also tell you how many days to do attack for your weight
5 is a good level the body has the shake it needs and will need some veg by then more than that wont make much difference
I have done many diets in the past so know what things can stall you so will be sticking to mainly chicken, beef, fish, seafood and egg whites oh and the delicious looking oat bran. I have cleared all cupboards of crap and now only have Dukan friendly stuff in the house. Oh one more thing, diet cherry coke??? a no no?
whats the calories on the tin ...not more the 2 cals per glass coke zero diet coke or my fav pepsi max
:) maybe I'll stick to water!! lol.
Thanks again, Jill.

you will be fine hun just come on here and look at the menu thread if you get stuck x

Excellent post IDS...

I - just to fill in a few gap - don't forget that the English Dukan book is a translation of the French original written many years ago, with some additions for the English palate. Since the French original came out, he's been working on his diet through personalised consultations and his French official website so there is a wealth of knowledge out there that you won't necessarily find in a book. Up to you though.

To recap:
- 1K maximum of fat free dairy (find your own level - I stall on far less);
- length of attack is determined really by your start weight. At your weight, five days would be fine. Three minimum if you're struggling without veg/salad. More than five and you could well experience constipation and not necessarily lose any more than if you moved on. Up to you.
- water - down to common sense really. I drink far more than 2L if I'm thirsty and in the current heat, I definitely do. Keep plenty of water coming to help your kidneys with all this protein.
- cherry coke no. Unless it's less than one calorie a glass, which I doubt.

Pitfalls? New people often start without thinking of menus, getting in the right foods, clearing diaries of difficult "can't resist" engagements, lose the plot and disappear. It doesn't sound as if you're going to be one of those so...
Open a diary, tell us more about yourself, and post menus! Join us anywhere and everywhere, and never hesitate to ask questions!

Great Help!!!

Thanks everyone!!! That has cleared up loads for me. So trial and error with the dairy then, luckily not a great lover of all things dairy anyway so 500g will probably do me. So glad we can drink more than 2 litres of water as I think it really helps with hunger. Actually looking forward to starting tomorrow and it helps that I have my husband doing it too. So off to look at some menus on here and then off to the freezer to defrost everything I need. Oh before I get lost in the menus, we are or should I say WERE big crisp eaters (yep, thats what got us here!!) but I know now that breaking that night time habit of crunching through a family sized bag each is going to be hard to break, has anyone got any ideas what we can replace that with as all the proteins I have are soft and nothing is going to give us that "crunch". This is just for attack really as raw veg will compensate later. Maybe I should try burning the chicken?:D
Jill

HI Jill

Good luck with the diet. I am fairly new to it too and finding new things on here all the time. I read about the Goji berries yesterday, I didn´t know you could have them at all before that and I love them. So I just bought myself some of those to get me through the long weekend. If you like them, may be an idea of something to snack on in the evenings. They don´t really crunch, but you can chew them and then spend hours picking the bits out of your teeth! :D I think you can have one tablespoon a day on attack, but check as I say I am new!

Hi Betty, thanks for that. Will look into it but I have tried then before and wasn't that impressed with them (mine were yoghurt coated ones, lol). Maybe i'll try tiny shreds of chicken in the actifry with no oil ;) and see if that makes some kind of yummy snack, can't see it myself but you never know. I will keep you all posted if I can come up with something exciting.
Jill

Crunch is alas something which I too miss on attack and PP days (and on PV days, remember to keep your quantities of protein higher than the veg - 66/33% is usually recommended).

Getting out of certain bad habits while dieting, like nibbling in front of the TV at night, is a good thing (but, once in PV, if desperate, you can make a few celeriac crisps!).

Goji berries are quite high in carbs, which is why we don't mention them to new people. I'd not go there until you're seeking some variety a few weeks/months down the line. (They're excellent in oatbran muffins with some sweetener - almost a "fruit cake" taste/texture).

I "cured" the evening nibbling, weekends at least cos weekday evenings I don't have dessert, by eating my dessert later in the evening... if that helps!

Good luck!

Thanks Joanne, what kinds of dessert? Egg custard, sugar free jelly, yoghurt? I want to keep my eggs really low as I have quite high cholesterol so the custards are out. Might try some sugar free jelly though, is this ok on attack? As for the crunch, i cut up tiny pieces of chicken added spices and chilli flakes and put them in the Actifry for about 15 mins (they could have been anything really,LEATHER lol) Let them cool and made a dip of fat free Fromage Frais and pepper and dried mint (please don't tell me I cant have these!!! arghhh) They weren't half bad!! The dip helps though. Saving them for tonight as our "crisps".

Sugar free jelly is fine on attack. Your crispy chicken sounds good! No worries there!

Back