Katalena's RTM thoughts & thingies!

oh i'm so jealous of you guys eating the jelly - i don't eat it cos of the gelatin and the veggie ones i don't like.
sounds another good day kat, well done
daisy x

Hi Kat - sounds like you are settled into RTM well now and I like your approach. I'm planning lots of fish in the first week as it bakes beautifully with just a little lemon and pepper and is gorgeous with a salad.

When can we eat creme fraiche - the lower fat varieties? I have a few recipes I would like to try and want to know when I can plan them in.

I am not sure about the creme fraiche - I am using fromage frais in the same way as I would use that.

I have just been to the fresh fish counter in Tesco and bought: fresh smoked haddock, fresh smoked cod loin, fresh cod loin, fresh smoked trout and some finiest frozen king prawns! Amazing I want this fish! lol Rik is away this weekend so I "fished up" in preparation! lol

Kat xx

I do have a question if anyone can help.

Can I have a ww fat free yoghurt at lunch time after nibbling some raw veggies or should I save it until after my meal in the evening?

I have been reading through other's RTM first couple of weeks and I noticed some people had flavoured fat free yogs in week 2 - so I can do this?

Thanks

Kat xx

oh man i want prawns could one of you lovely ladies tell me a decent recipe with prawns please :)

Ken I have never really eaten prawns as I had a fish/shellfish allergy which seems to have gone!?

Have a look in your RTM week 1-4 book, there are a couple of recipes/marinades in there.

Tomorrow I plan to marinade 4/5 king prawns in chilli with soy and garlic and cook them in my George Foreman and serve them with baked cod loin on a bed of salad :) (and hope my shellfish allergy has gone too! lol)

Kat xx

hi ken
i stick them in curries, stirfrys etc

marinate in soy sauce, garlic, chilli
or
coat in peanut butter to give a satay type sauce (when you are allowed) or honey - lovely and sticky

or chuck some in a fish pie with other bits of fish

daisy x

Week 2, Day 9

I have started questioning a few things this evening like how many calories I should be on.
I did ask my LLC and she said I do not need to worry about calories at the moment as the choices are limited. But I have seen others say that week 2 should be approx 700 a day and I think I would be more comfortable having a boundary, if you know what I mean. I am also assuming that that includes the calories from the 3 food packs you have in a day!

I do feel like my salad was too big again tonight, so tomorrow I am going to ensure it is smaller.

When I was preparing dinner tonight, I picked at some raw mushrooms. Now I know it is only raw mushroom and I am not going to stress about it but it wasn't the "food" itself it was the "picking". I am aware of it so will ensure that is knocked on the head.

I had some sugar free jelly after dinner with a WW far free flavoured yoghurt, with some plain fat free yoghurt to make it less sweet - I enjoyed it. Then started questioning if I should have had that WW yoghurt.

It is funny how we sow a seed of doubt then allow ourselves to become so involved with it it causes us worry!

Clarification would be nice as there are so many posts on here and I have looked through lots of them but there seems to be so many different answers/thoughts/opinions.

I then started to question if when I have the hot smoked fish i.e. salmon, trout or mackerel. Is 4oz too much!

Oh that seed of doubt! lol

Had my usual skinny lattes, usual shakes/bar, usual soda st clements, usual green/fruit tea. Crudites and a lil dip, cod loin with some king prawns done in soy, lemon, chilli & lemon on a bed of salad with a teaspoon of cottage cheese and some fromage frais as it was so spicy! Followed by sugar free jelly & yoghurt.

Feel like I ate too much today. Will address amounts and ingredients tomorrow.

Kat xx

Last edited:
Kat Darling

So many answers I want to give you but it is midnight and I am up for work again in 5 odd hours, so hang on in there, I am sure other experienced RTMers will reply, but I will drop you a line tomorrow eve with my thoughts - but do not worry from what it sounds like to me you are doing fine, you are just having your first little foodie head wobble!!! Read back through my journal I have had more than a few!!

Love Ya

Jez
xx

Thank you

Thank you hun, I know you will reply when you have time and I am always grateful for your advice and support.

I feel better about it all this morning now that I have slept on it. It is amazing how we can rock the boat in our heads and starting doubting and questioning everything.

Look forward to hearing from you soon hun.

Kat xx

Kat Darling

So many answers I want to give you but it is midnight and I am up for work again in 5 odd hours, so hang on in there, I am sure other experienced RTMers will reply, but I will drop you a line tomorrow eve with my thoughts - but do not worry from what it sounds like to me you are doing fine, you are just having your first little foodie head wobble!!! Read back through my journal I have had more than a few!!

Love Ya

Jez
xx

Week 2, Day 11

I have decided due to time I shall not post daily but will post as and when.

I am still having the usual for breakfast every day, I am enjoying the warm peanut bar with some fat free plain yeo valley yoghurt and my skinny latte. I would like to have this forevermore! lol

I have started having approx 160-180g of mixed salad at lunch time with a heaped teaspoon of low fat plain cottage cheese followed by some sugar free jelly & some yoghurt. I don't like grazing on veggies throughout the day.

I have ran out of st clements! Nooooooooooooo!! lol My LLC did text me and suggest I had some sugar free flavoured water that you can buy prepared in bottles in shops but I find them too sweet. I am happy with plain soda water. I also had a can of diet pepsi today which I enjoyed and some green tea with pineapple & grapefruit.

For dinner tonight I had Sainsburys Taste The Difference Wild Alaskan Salmon fillet - I covered it in lemon juice, garlic pepper & fresh red chilli. Whilst that was baking I marinated 80g jumbo king prawns in garlic pepper, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice. I then dry fried them to warm them through and had the salmon & prawns on a bed of salad - eyes bigger than the belly today and once I had plated up the salad I removed a good amount and popped it in the fridge for tomorrow. Whilst it was all cooking I made the mushroom salad and the tzatziki from the week 1-4 book and had a good spoonful of both with my dinner. I enjoyed it all. I followed it with some sugar free jelly & yoghurt.

I have had one shake today and will endeavour to have the other one later although I would really rather not. I am looking forward to dropping a foodpack next week.

I am eating lots of fat free yoghurt! I am obssessed with it!

Kat xx

sounds lovely kat :)
btw is it possible if you could tell me what bgty dip is?
doh got it, its the be good to yourself range lol

In my sad obssession with Yeo Valley Fat Free Natural Yoghurt I have found some fab recipes, so thought I would share!

Smoked Trout Pate

SmokedTroutPate.jpg

Serves 4

Ingredients:

225g (8oz) smoked trout fillet
125g (4 1/2oz) Yeo Valley Organic Fat Free Natural Yogurt
1 tsp lemon rind grated (week 3)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp freshly chopped dill
Freshly ground black pepper

A wonderfully tasty, healthy pate, rich in essential omega 3 fats yet low in saturated fat and calories. This is perfect for lunches, as a dip with vegetable sticks and elegant enough for buffets and parties.

Instructions
:

Place the trout in a food processor with the yogurt, lemon rind and juice. Blend until well mixed but make sure the trout still retains some of its texture. Add the chopped dill and lightly pulse to combine. Season with black pepper.

Place into pots or ramekins and chill well before serving.

Variations:

You can use smoked mackerel for a cheaper option which is equally rich in essential fats. For additional flavour and colour try blending in a little roasted red pepper or a few sundried tomatoes.

Nutritional Information:

Per serving: calories 98kcal, carbohydrates 2.9g, total sugars 0.1g, protein 16.2g, total fats 2.6g, saturated fat 0.5g, fibre 0g, sodium 1g, calcium 64mg

Per 100g: calories 107kcal, carbohydrates 3.1g, total sugars 0.1g, protein 17.6g, total fats 2.8g, saturated fats 0.5g, fibre 0g, sodium 1.1g, calcium 70mg

Last edited:
Spicy Prawns With Apple And Mint Yogurt Chutney

SpicyPrawnsWithAppleAndMintYogurtChutney.jpg

Serves 4

Ingredients:

450g (16oz) large raw prawns, peeled and de-veined
100g (4oz) Yeo Valley Fat Free Natural Yogurt
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
Metal or wooden skewers

Apple and Mint Chutney

300g (10 1/2oz) Yeo Valley Organic Fat Free Natural Yogurt
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp finely chopped root ginger
2 tbsp finely chopped mint
1 eating apple - peeled, cored and finely chopped
1 tsp mustard seed
little lemon juice to taste

Instructions:

Mix together the prawns with the rest of the ingredients, except the fresh coriander leaves. Cover, chill and marinate for 2 hours or overnight.
Thread the prawns onto skwers and place under the grill. Grill until golden brown (about 5 minutes) turning during cooking to ensure they are brown all over.

Sprinkle over the fresh coriander leaves and serve with the apple and mint chutney.

Quick Tip:

If using wooden skewers, soak them for 30 minutes in cold water to prevent them burning during cooking.

Apple and Mint Chutney:

Whisk together all the ingredients except the mustard seeds. Place the mustard seeds in a non stick frying pan and saute until the mustard seeds start to sizzle and pop.
Add to the yogurt mixture and mix well.

Cover and chill until required. This will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.

Nutritional Information for Spicy Prawns:

Per serving: calories 102kcal, carbohydrates 2.6g, total sugars 0.1g, protein 21.4g, total fats 0.8g, saturated fat 0.1g, fibre 0g, sodium 0.21g, calcium 133mg
Per 100g: calories 70kcal, carbohydrates 1.7g, total sugars 0.1g, protein 14.6g, total fats 0.5g, saturated fats 0.1g, fibre 0g, sodium 0.14g, calcium 91mg

Nutritional Information for Apple and Mint Chutney:

Per serving:

calories 52kcal, carbohydrates 8.8g, total sugars 2g, protein 4.6g, total fats 0.2g, saturated fat 0g, fibre 0.3g, sodium 0.19g, calcium 126mg

Per 100g:

calories 55kcal, carbohydrates 9.4g, total sugars 2.1g, protein 5g, total fats 0.3g, saturated fats 0g, fibre 0.3g, sodium 0.211g, calcium 135mg

Tandoori Salmon

TandooriSalmon.jpg

Serves 4

Ingredients:

200g (7oz) Yeo Valley Organic Fat Free Natural Yogurt
1tbsp medium curry paste
Juice of 1 lemon
1 clove garlic, crushed
1tsp freshly grated root ginger
1tsp ground cumin
1tsp ground corander
1tsp ground paprika
1tsp ground tumeric
4 salmon fillets, boneless, skin on

A delicious spicy dish, low in calories and saturated fat. Whether you're dieting or just want to watch what you're eating, this is a wonderfully tasty dish, simple to prepare and full of flavour. Salmon is a fantastic source of protein and essential omega 3 fats for health and vitality.

Instructions:

In a large bowl, mix together the yogurt, curry paste, lemon juice and spices. Pour over the salmon fillets and coat thoroughly. Leave to marinate for 3-4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.

Place the salmon skin side down on a lined baking sheet and grill for 10-15 minutes until cooked through and golden brown. Baste with any remaining marinade during cooking.

Serve with a leafy green salad and raita.

Nutritional Information:

Per serving:

calories 264kcal, carbohydrates 5.5g, total sugars 0.3g, protein 28.7g, total fats 14.6g, saturated fat 2.4g, fibre 0g, sodium 0.08g, calcium 122mg

Per 100g:

calories 135kcal, carbohydrates 2.8g, total sugars 0.2g, protein 14.7g, total fats 7.4g, saturated fats 1.2g, fibre 0g, sodium 0.045g, calcium 62mg

lovely recipes will try a few
thanks Kat

They do all sound fab! I am defo gonna try some!

Kat xx

Back