Kim's Diet Coke to Water challenge

I used to be a BIG pop drinker years back, but have slowly cut them out over the years. I also don't like to consume too many artificial sweeteners as they are certainly not good for you and even the no added sugar squash contains them.

I drink mostly water now, sometimes when out or whatever I will occasionally have a glass of diet coke or similar but notice I always end up bloated and constipated afterwards.

In the early days of this pregnancy I got cravings for full sugar coca cola, so had to have some of that and then went off water for a bit, as I found it made the sickness worse, so had to drink fresh juice. But I am back to drinking just water now.

If I fancy something other than water, I have carbonated water with lots of ice and fresh lemon and orange slices in it, gives it a very light flavour. But I find even the carbonated water can make me bloated and uncomfortable.

I think I know that I'm addicted to the stuff ~ espeically as I have heard all the downside of caffine and aspartamene (excuse spelling) and how harmful it might be ~ so logically I should be able to give it up ~ but I can't :cry:Well I will but I'm not sure how at the moment, says she sitting here with the ultra cheap stuff by my side.

Ever heard of Kathless DesMasions? She wrote the book Potatoes Not Prozac and The Sugar Addicts Recovery Programme and she has this 7 step programme for giving up sugar..... well she says that giving up cola and diet cola is just as hard if not harder than giving up sugar and needs to be done gently.

One thing she recommends is keep drinking it but keep it to meal times..... thats something I'm thinking about..... but for tonight it just ain't goin to happen.

Judith

Where did Kim go?

I was just wondering. Kim, are you diabeitc or have you been tested?

I was a diet cokeaholic but with me it was always diet coke, no diet pepsi or pepsi max etc. Not only that, but it had to be ice cold - therefore out of the vending machine at work. The mad thirst and constantly seeking ice-cold pointed towards diabetes and sure enough it was confirmed.

I was having 10 cans (330ml) per 5 hour shift a good few years ago. Someone calculated it as well over £1000 A YEAR ON DIET COKE AT WORK ALONE! To me, the addict, that seemed small beer as i spent a lot more on cigarettes!

Now I'm under control. I can take it or leave it, indeed last night I managed 4.5 pints of diet pepsi on a works night out (I was taxi-driver to mates). I can now leave a glass or can to go flat and get thrown out. Even better they don't need to be in the fridge.

It can be addictive though. I loved Florida - buy one for for $1.79 and free refills:cool:

Steve

Back