Lasagne help

HanSpan

I have a low-carb recipe for lasagne from a fantastic lady called mazzers on the MSE lowcarb forum which I cooked several times when low carbing and even OH was impressed. However the cheese sauce bit is a definitely no-no so I'm wondering what any of you do for that if you make lasagne. I have a vague recollection of a friend on low fat using possibly whizzed cottage or Ricotta cheese and eggs in some combination but can't find a recipe anywhere that doesn't include mozzarella and parmesan.

Here's the recipe with the cheese sauce ommited!

Lasagne Mazzers

minced beef about 500g
2 cloves garlic, some basil leaves
3" piece chopped leek
[really naughly bits ommited!]
tin toms 400g (12g carbs)
270g courgette - 1 large one best

Fry 1/2 of the chopped leek, one clove garlic until softened, add tin toms and simmer til thickened, add basil and blitz to make sauce.

fry mince 1/2 chopped leek and clove garlic, when browned add sauce and simmer til tender.

Thinly slice courgette ( with cheese slicer) and boil in salted water for few mins, drain and cool.

make cheese sauce by [oh no]

layer mince, cheese sauce, courgette, repeat and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Makes four servings

180-200 for 20 mins.

Its fantastic (sufficiently so that someone like me who cooks once or twice a year made the effort more than once) but the cheese sauce really was OMG! when I re-read this now on dukan.

I made a bolognese bake last week topped with sieved cottage cheese and it was fine. One of my friends never bothers with white/cheese sauce for her usual lasagne - she always uses cottage cheese and (while it's not as nice as mine :giggle:) it's perfectly adequate. :rolleyes:

Do u know if lasagna topped with natural yoghurt or quark would work? Wanted to do it tonight but forgot the cottage cheese!

I reckon any low fat cheese like product would do the trick! Extra low fat ricotta? Quark? Extra light phili or other low low fat cream cheeses?
I'm due to make a dukan lasagne today so will let you know how I get on .. I'm gonna use a mix of quark and cottage cheese :)

I made this last night and it was divine. Not exactly reminiscent of traditional lasagne but the courgette really works. I made the white sauce from the DD recipe book and added an extra light laughing cow triangle to it. Not that cheesy but it was enough.

Back