lbs V inches

Bella30

Silver Member
Hi All

Was just wondering, is anyone following a diet where they're not using the scales as their targets and are using clothes sizes instead? After a turbulent few weeks and a shock trip to the doctors last friday where my weight was considerably more on their scales compared to mine - turns out floor surfaces have a lot to answer for - I am considering ditching the scales in favour of going by inches instead.

Is anyone else losing weight this way? I always hear people say they go by their clothes sizes rather than scales and for the first time I can actually see sense in it but am wondering if I am setting myself up for a fall as I have a lot to lose still.

Bella :) xxx

I couldnt do it - i have wobbly bits so depending on how tight i pull the tape measure i can drop inches in mins :)
I have to go by the scales and with over 40lbs to lose if the scales aint moving - then ive not lost weight
i always use them on a hard floor and weigh myself the same time of day first thing in the morning undressed before breakfast.
but depending on if I had a large dinner and alot of fluids the night before that cant even be an accurate measure at times :) but my scales do have fat percentage and bmi ect on them
good luck
xx

Hi :)

I didn't weigh myself for the first 6 months of my diet. In that time I went by clothes alone and dropped 3 dress sizes! It is very possible and as long as you stick to your plan you can definitely drop a considerable amount of weight. I used to be a slave to the scales, weighing upwards of 40 times a day (yeah - seriously!) and it just used to frustrate me. I could tell I had been gaining last summer as I was heading into size 18 territory. One day something just changed in me and I started a healthy eating plan. The rest is history :) I have found that over the last month I have needed to weigh - I am about a stone from goal now and need to optimise my weight loss and need to check if I'm plateauing or not so I can change my calories. I lost 2 and a half stone over the six months I didn't weigh. Go for it - you CAN do it. PM if you want any more details (I set lots of little clothing goals) or if you need some support!

Morrigan xxx

Thank you, I really appreciate your reply. I think I might give the clothes sizes a go but as a compulsive weigher myself, I think it will be hard to do. Having said that, I've weighed myself on 4 different sets of scales this week and each one has been completely different so maybe clothes sizes is the way forward! Xx

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using MiniMins

Ditch the scales! I did last November and it is just wonderful. I use the tape measure instead. My weight loss is slow, I have just gone down a size, but the freedom is great. When you think about it it is logical. No one knows your weight, it's not tattooed on your forehead! What people see is your size. So I am going for decreasing that.

(Should say I do jump on my SIL's scales about once every three months - and they are very kind!)

Good luck!
SilverS.

Last edited:
I was reading something interesting the other day that said you shouldnt focus on the scales. It said it is possible to change the amount of body fat you have (and therefore making you look slimmer and smaller) without actually changing your weight at all. If you can do it then its probably best in the long run.

I was reading something interesting the other day that said you shouldnt focus on the scales. It said it is possible to change the amount of body fat you have (and therefore making you look slimmer and smaller) without actually changing your weight at all. If you can do it then its probably best in the long run.

Ditch the scales! I did last November and it is just wonderful. I use the tape measure instead. My weight loss is slow, I have just gone down a size, but the freedom is great. When you think about it it is logical. No one knows your weight, it's not tattooed on your forehead! What people see is your size. So I am going for decreasing that.

(Should say I do jump on my SIL's scales about once every three months - and they are very kind!)

Good luck!
SilverS.

Thank you both, I apprecite your comments. I really think I might give it a go and see how I get on. I do need to focus on reducing my body fat and have been taking my measurements on my journey so I think I'm going to ditch the scales and see how I get on!

I actually go by clothes size. I would say well I want my waist to be a certain size in a certain amount of time and I work towards it and check it against my clothes.

I find it makes me feel much more accomplished that way.

Good luck Bella, and remember you can whittle away those inches a bit by toning up. I think your targets with clothes will work too, it did for me. Nothing like the incentive of being able to fit into a favourite dress again and a great feeling when you get there. I used to decide I wanted to fit into something by a certain date.....perhaps a special occasion. You need to be realistic but it is better than leaving it open ended....this year, next year, sometime, Never!

Let us know how you get on.
SilverS

Thanks, SilverSlimmer. I have got 3 dresses that I am aiming to get into, with my favourite by New Years Eve when I am in Cape Town. Between now and then, I have another 2 to keep me motivated. I will let you know how I'm getting on! xx

You could try just weighing at Boots once a week, it gives you a little printed readout thats useful to keep.

I use both. I like seeing the scales change and if they go up it makes me work even harder, thats not really possible with clothes. I know what I want my waist and hips to be so measure them once a month too

Bella, I know you are going to make it as you seem to have the right attitude. I have just managed to get back into a dress I haven't worn for at least 8 years and which I made back in 1995. It is a very simple straight dress and you have to have lost the weight to get into it so I am feeling very happy. Like you I have the next 2 targets lined up! It actually makes it fun!!

Keep up the good work!
SilverS

Hi Bella,
I would stick to the scales. Buy a new digital set and place them on a hard floor, in the same location each time you weigh.

I also take my measurements, but I find that to lose an inch, I need to lose around 7lb, which can take 3-4 weeks. At least with the scales, I can see a result each week.

Once I get to my goal weight, I will use my clothes as an indicator.

Do whichever keeps you the most motivated. You have some great goals, which I'm sure you will achieve.

Thank you so much everyone for all your advice. I really do appreciate it. I'm still weighing myself but I'm not getting so phased by it anymore.

Hope you're all ok xxXXxx

Back