losingit's losingit again diary

Did some shopping, got all the right things, no junk. I haven't been feeling myself today though, i'm severely low on energy to the point where i had to go lie down for 2 hours. I'm wondering if i'm being a bit over the top on my carb counts as i've been proud to keep it below 5g/day on many days. After a bit of googling i realised lower isn't always better and could have been responsible for feeling like death lately. I have been eating plenty, i always feel stuffed, but have perhaps been a bit stricter than other times when i've low-carbed.

So, resisting the urge to order a pizza, i've instead had half a banana because i read that it could be that i'm low on potassium. Half a banana has around 13g carbs so not the end of the world (and a good dose of potassium). I'll try and boost my carbs up to 15g to 20g a day from now onwards and see if that helps (actually i think it already did cos i feel a whole lot better already, but i am rather psychosomatic, so who knows... lol).

Out of interest, i've been doing a bit of reading on this and apparently it's quite common to get calcium and potassium deficiencies on low-carb if you don't eat enough of certain veggies (green veggies mostly). I already take calcium supplements and vitamins, but will look at adding potassium also. If you are deficient it can result in being lethargic, or even ultimately end up in heart problems like an irregular heart beat, or palpitations. Which brings home the importance of a good amount of veg in the diet and why this isn't a part of Atkins which should be cut out, something i'm prone to doing! Guys and gals, veggies are not optional ;-).

Now i hope this didn't make anyone run around like a headless chicken, that wasn't my intention, the important thing is that any issues are easily reversible by simply doing what we are meant to and sticking to the plan as it is. simples.

As I understand it there's not any real need to lower your carbs under 20g a day, I mean you probably won't get any extra benefit.

However, if you're going to get carb flu, you'll get it at 20g just as much as 5g. Believe me, I know! I had the muscle cramps when I first started (and the headaches, fatigue, nausea, sleeplessness...ugh) and added organic sea salt to my diet as it has potassium and magnesium in it. Broth is recommended too.

Alpaca said:
Love your posts boggins!! X

Vibro plates work when used - Quak (Bren) will give you the low down - I'm just far better at ideas and purchases rather than implementation ! Lol x

Me too lol!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

boggins said:
I don't know what a vibro plate is....do I want to know?? :eek: :D

(Dragging my mind out of the gutter for a second, I can actually imagine a battery-operated dieter's dinner plate that shakes so much all the food falls off. New on QVC! Lower your calories the vibro plate way! ;))

And that's hilarious :) I bet it would sell too to all those low cal'ers......there's no way anyone would be shaking my steak off my plate!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Bit of a 'wobbly' day today, but i think i survived OK considering what i normally do on bad days (jump on down to mcdonalds and stuff my face with burger and fries, following up with a KFC afterwards!).

Here is what i ate:

breakfast: 2 boiled eggs
lunch: 5 small roasted chicken drumsticks and veg with cheese.
dinner: small steak & mushrooms.
snacks: 40g scratchings, cream mixed with sweetner and flavouring, banana

So, the main deal is the banana which as explained above, i ate due to feeling awful. It did start out at half a banana but my daughter didn't want the other half and i can't bear throwing away food, so i ate it. Bit naughty, but at least i drew a line under it and didn't continue to eat badly.

Carbs today is higher than it's meant to be, but not enough to knock ketosis. 26g from the banana, 3g from the cream, 1g from scratchings, 3g from veg = 33g total, maybe slightly more cos i didn't weigh the creme exactly. Aiming for 20g tomorrow :), and more veg.

The banana might give you a sugar/insulin spike so watch out for cravings; drink plenty of water and legal snacks around to manage

Got my cross-trainer, took almost 3 hours to build it, and it is REALLY heavy so took quite some effort to get it up my stairs (in parts, one bit at a time, lol). I did a 1 minute 'workout' to test it was all working then collapsed on my bed for an hour exhausted! Just putting it together was the biggest workout i've done in a few years!

Curiously, my cross trainer weighs 55kg, which is only around 5kg more than the total amount i need to lose to be healthy. Really puts it into perspective just how much weight that is, i could barely drag the box across the floor and there was no way i would have been able to take it upstairs without doing it in parts. I wonder how i'm able to even lift my own body up to do everyday things, no wonder i get tired just in normal day to day stuff looking after my daughter, it must feel heavenly to be a normal weight! That's some serious motivation right there.

Now, after that strenuous time i'm not sure i'll be able to even get on it by tomorrow, i'll probably have serious muscle ache. We'll see :). At least it all works and i don't have to take it all apart and put it back in the box and order another one, that'd be my idea of hell! (and i normally love flatpacks!).

No signs today of feeling ill like i was yesterday, and on track with the diet today, although i might have had a tiny bit too much cream, but it was calling my name and i needed quick energy. All in all a good day so far.

Just had some bad news about my Uncle. He was diagnosed with Leukaemia 12 months ago, and given 12 months to live unless he has a bone marrow transplant. The dr's at the time found a bone marrow match with my mother who agreed to donate, however they refused to give him the treatment because he was too large, something to do with how vulnerable his immune system would have been and the chance being high that he wouldn't pull through the process at all/risk of pnuemonia. He weighs around 30 stone and they told him he had to slim down to 21stone to get the treatment and that even then it was risky.

He managed to lose around 2 stone in the past 12 months, and was having having chemotherapy in the meantime which was holding things at bay. It wasn't enough and not quick enough though, today he got told that his chemotherapy treatments are not working and they have next to no options for treatment now, that they cannot even do a bone marrow transplant because his leukaemia is too advanced. So he has a few months left to live at best.

Sorry to have to write such bad news here but just had to vent. Feel like ordering a pizza and cracking open a bottle of wine - as is the usual route when faced with bad news, but under the circumstances i should probably learn from my Uncle's dilemma and forge ahead with the weightloss. I'm sad that it's too late for him, i just can't imagine how that feels to be told you will die very soon :(.

Oh sweetheart that is awful news, I am so sorry!

I got the awful "Mum has two months to live" call seven years ago, won't go into it all here, but if you want to talk about it and what's coming, please do PM me.

Susie xxx

So sorry about your uncle :( my hubby had APL leukemia a few years ago. They said that is the only kind that can be cured. He had chemotherapy and we almost lost him once when he became septic and also had pneumonia. He pulled thru thank God and is fine now. Sending prayers your way

Thanks for all the love and support :)

Didn't crack in the end yesterday and start eating junk, got through it just fine afterall, nice to know that it is possible to do this even in the face of awful news. Even did 10 minutes on the cross trainer. But wow, i'm seriously out of shape! I used to be able to do 45 minutes at a time on a medium resistance level, but yesterday after 10 minutes at the lowest possible resistance my heart rate was pretty high and i was exhausted!

Considering the stressful and busy day yesterday, i feel amazingly high on energy today, which is great - i love keto-highs - the energy is way better than any sugar induced high and it just keeps on coming. Hopefully the carb sickness is over with now!

I'm so very sorry to hear the news!! What a terrible shock!! Big hugs xx and well done for sticking with it!! Xx

Terrible news about your uncle but I admire you immensely for not cracking and for carrying on with your weight loss.

Have you tried mims? I made one for the first time this morning and what a treat. Perhaps would be useful for you when you junk food beacons. Recipes are on a sticky.

Nelle

Morning love, so sorry to hear about your Uncle, stay strong.

End of a great day :), bouncing with energy today and feeling GOOD!

Did two sessions on the cross trainer, 10 minutes and 30 minutes each, so a total of 40 minutes, yay.

Today's food:

breakfast: prawns and mayonnaise
late morning 'snack': 3 jamie oliver cheeky chipolatas, tasty (around 1.5g carbs, good for sausage!) and a couple of mushrooms.
lunch: beef in butter, big mushrooms stuffed with sausagemeat and cheese
dinner: rest of the beef, cabbage

Hi losing it, well done you are doing brilliantly. Don't you just love cabbage! I can't get enough of it!

Actually i used to hate cabbage, but have discovered a new fondness for it since starting Atkins this time around, weird or what?!

My scales are not shifting this week which is a bit disappointing, thinking i'm hitting a flat zone on the weightloss, time to dig in and bear it, when this starts to happen it usually lasts for a good couple of weeks for me. Actually, i've never really been able to break through this phase properly in any diet, but then again i normally get to the "forget this" point after just 1 to 2 weeks of no loss. Not this time, there are no other options here, i have to do it!

Morning, looks like you've got it cracked then, stick with it love. You'll see the results

Back