Loz's weight loss diary

Ooh, and I need to confess to having chocolate. It was after donating blood, it was an orange club, and it was wonderful! I'd earned it though, I think, and I didn't buy it myself, so still didn't break my rule.

I'm going to try and weigh myself tomorrow. I want to get down to a BMI of 43 or less, get rid of that odd 0.3 hanging around. That would mean getting down to 141.1 - 800g, that should be do-able, and that would, hopefully mean, by the end of next week, I could be in the 130s.

I think my first big goal will be getting a BMI of below 40. To get to 39.9, I need to be 131kg (or less). That's not too bad, I'm a third of the way there, and it's only taken about 6 weeks (with one week of gaining).

I was at mum's earlier, so just quickly shared my weight loss, even though I wanted to write more.

I had said I wanted to get to a BMI of below 43 yesterday, and to below 140kg by the end of next week. I hadn't expected that to happen today. I didn't believe the scales when I saw them today. I weighed myself twice, and I'd already had a coffee that morning, both read 140.0kg, and then I weighed myself after lunch, it had gone up to, I think 140.3 or 140.4, so 140 seemed about right.

I'm over the moon with that. A nice boost and a nice surprise!

It's quite scary, though, that I've lost 8kg just, basically, by cutting out the snacks and high calorie foods pretty much every evening. (I'm a bit disappointed that I don't know where that money I would have spent has now gone, probably the couple of days I had away a few weeks ago - hopefully next month I'll notice it!). I haven't really done any exercise, as I would have been doing things like the gardening anyway. I knew that what I was eating was unhealthy and was full of calories, but I don't think I realised quite how many calories there were in those foods, and that is quite a scary thought.

When I went to the shop on the way home yesterday, which is something I haven't done very often over the last few weeks, I think for a few minutes, I initially slipped back in to my old thoughts. I picked up something out of the hot section, and the thought about grabbing a sandwich or a baguette, too. (I think, as my mum always says when a plate is overfilled, I have eyes bigger than my belly - though unfortunately, I think my belly was catching up). I decided against the sandwich/baguette too, picked up some bottled water, and then wondered over to the cakes. I realised that that would be a bad idea, returned to the fruits and picked up a punnet of blueberries. I did decide to get some pancakes, too, as I used to eat them fairly regularly. They tasted quite bland, though, so I don't think I'll be rushing to get them again.

I was sitting at my desk between patients fiddling with my tunic. Whilst it's not loose (yet), it's definitely a lot more roomy now than it was even a couple of weeks ago, and is probably a comfortable fit now. It's a size 22. I need some new work trousers, too, as the inner thighs are going on them, but I think I'll wait until I've lost a size or two. I don't want to get my current size as the seat of trousers is always too big and just sort of sags unflatteringly, so if I get them now, and they're too big there no, they'll look terrible in a month or two! I hate buying trousers for this reasons. I can't yet see where I have lost the weight from, at the moment, so I'm hoping that it's happening sort of equally all over. I got rid of a load of old bras yesterday that I'd had for years - I think some of them must have been from when I was a teenager - I kept some of the newer(ish), nicer ones, though, in the hope that soon, I will be able to get in to them again.

I think, as 131kg is my first big goal, when I get there, I will take myself out shopping. I love shopping, and know what size to get usually in most shops, but I'm actually already feeling a little nervous about it. I don't usually try clothes on in the shop, with the animals, it's more a case of going somewhere cheap as no doubt they'll soon end up with claws going through them, so if the odd t-shirt doesn't fit, it's probably only cost me £8-10 at the most so doesn't really matter. I think, when I go out for this shopping trip, though, I may have to try things on.

(Sorry about the babbling!)

I've just been double checking my BMI on the NHS website, and converting it in to stones and pounds (was about to say pounds and ounces - oops, that's the midwifery training sneaking out!), 22stone 1. I'm going to try and weigh myself tomorrow - it would be amazing if I could be below 22 stone! That needs a loss of 700g - I'm not sure if I can do that by tomorrow, considering I have already lost 1.9kg since the 15th. Maybe Monday would be a more realistic goal? Ah well, I will see anyway.

Desperately waiting for pay day next week, then I can go out and do a load of shopping again - I think I spent too much on my few days away at the start of the month!

Oops - 141kg the other day. Slight increase. I think this will be the first time I've not met my weight loss goal.

I had a bit of a naughty weekend calorie-wise. It was a friend's 30th on Friday, so we had a bit too much prosecco to drink. And then, on Saturday, it was my friend's daughter's birthday party, so cake, ice cream and party rings.

Anyway, I've tried to make up for it today - I'm trying not to eat too many calories and I've run a mile in my dining room this evening. I actually think I could push it to 1.5 miles - maybe I'll try that some point next week. I'm going to start my 'marathon in a month' as of tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'll get to do any running, I've got to take mum out for some dog food and cat litter in the evening, but I've absolutely no reason not to do it (the running) Saturday and Sunday morning.

For the first time ever, I felt uncomfortable at work today. I had a patient with slightly raised blood pressure, and he was asking about lifestyle changes to bring it down without medication. So we discussed salt, alcohol, caffeine and exercise. And then, we discussed weight loss. We worked out his BMI and how much he would need to lose to get down to a healthy weight. The whole time, I was thinking how can I be advising someone to lose weight? It's ridiculous!

I've always wondered how Dr's etc felt when they were giving out weight advice when they were a little over weight themselves. I know you can carry weight and still be fit so we shouldn't judge people by how they look.How do you feel when doing it?

No excuse not to run around the house while dinner is cooking. :) You could do some light exercising as well. Like when the kettle is boiling,while washing up. And time any place really.;)

I can empathise, giving advice on weight and feeling uncomfortable doing so... BUT. The thing is - you are practicing what you preach. You shouldn't feel self-conscious doing that because you, yourself are doing something about it! Soon you won't even think about it because you'll be slender and you'll have put all that advice into practice yourself, so you'll be coming from a place of experience which is far more valuable than a doctor/nurse who have been slim all their lives and don't have a clue how hard it is.
The slight up might just be a bit of water weight from the weekend, don't worry. :) Everything will balance itself out. You're doing great! x

Thanks both.

I suppose I'm it being too hypocritical as, as you point out, I am doing something about it. That's a good way of looking at it!

I'm pleased to say the scales today, after coffee, said 139.6kg. I've got it below 140! I cut it fine but I did it!

Thanks Dylan!

I'm still chuffed that I actually managed to get down to the 130s - I know it's the top end of the 130s but saying I weigh in the 130s sounds better than saying I weigh in the 140s, so I'm so pleased with that. 1.6kg and I would have lost 10kg, which sounds like quite an achievement - it's not yet been 2 months since I started this. Do you think that might be a realistic target for this week, or is that a bit too much? I'm thinking that might be a little optimistic - it's over 3lb. Would the Friday after (two weeks today) be more achievable, do you think? Anyway, I've lost over 5% of my weight. I know I've still got a long way to go, but 5% actually sounds like a pretty good start. I'm also bang on 22 stone (apparently) so whatever I lose now will bring me in to a new stones bracket, which is also a good feeling. All in all, I'm feeling pretty positive tonight!

Definitely going to do my 'marathon in a month' thing - going to do my first mile tomorrow morning. My calves are a little achy today but nothing like they were that first time. I have also found a really old exercise book (as in doing exercises, not a school book) from when I was a teenager - I quite enjoyed the exercises in them back then, so I might try them again this month.

I still haven't got around to ordering a swimsuit or sports bra, so I think that is something I should do this month, especially being as I am planning on doing this running in my dining room. I do fear, though, that my boobs might be getting a little smaller :( - I'm starting to get a little loose material in the cups. On a more positive note, though, my midriff seems to be getting smaller, too, as that is where my uniform is getting looser.

Well done Loz, on the exercise and getting into the 130's! Breaking into the next bracket is always such a joy, because it's a mini-target, and I'm sure you'll get through this one into 120's very soon too! :D 3lbs in a week is doable actually, depends on how careful you are, people do lose it doing SW and WW when they're on plan (at least from what I've seen!).
If you're going to buy a swimsuit or sports bra, BHS online is probably a good bet at the moment, since they're selling all their stock off asap. I need to get on with buying one of their skirtinis before they're gone forever, but whether I'd actually ever be brave enough to go swimming is another story ... :(

I hadn't thought of them Minerva, might have to go and have a look there. I used to swim a lot when I was younger. I'm not so sure I could do the distances I used to be able to do, not without some training anyway, but it would be good if I could work back up to that. I can't remember when I went swimming in a pool - I went swimming in the sea last month.

I suppose 3lb is do-able, but, if I don't achieve it, I would be gutted, whereas if I achieve it early, I'll feel great!

Hi Loz, have finally caught up with your diary. Well done on the weight loss and exercise, you're doing so well.

With regard to giving people advice on healthy lifestyle choices I totally agree that people will actually empathise more with you if you struggle with the same issues. All through my journey to have my knee replacement I had appointments with various healthcare professionals and have found that the nicest, most caring people were those that obviously struggled themselves. I have no illusions that my joints are in the state they are in due to years of being overweight and not exercising and it's uncomfortable sitting with some skinny minny that hasn't got a clue how hard it is, particularly the more immobile and in pain you are, who you are pretty sure is sitting there just thinking you need to get a grip and stop making excuses. Whereas people like you can totally empathise with these patients and encourage them to make changes to their lifestyle, as you are. Well done you! xx

I guess set the 3lb loss target for two weeks and if you reach it sooner, then you'll feel good! I don't usually set myself any timed targets as that screws with my head, or I set targets that are like a minimum. So 1lb per week, which if I'm on track is usually below actual losses.
I hope your week goes well x

I think I want something to aim for! Plus I have so much to lose that I don't really want to think about the bigger numbers, so having small amounts to concentrate on are helping me break it up.

I think I need to make things a little more structured - I just come up with numbers as I go. I was just thinking to myself, 'hmm, why is it I want to lose 3lb' and then realised that it's because it will bring me to 10kg gone.

Food-wise, my weekend was terrible (this seems to be a bit of a theme!). I had chocolate yesterday, 2 bars! 2 months or so ago, I would have thought nothing of eating 2 bars. Now, though, I am a little disgusted (maybe horrified would be a better word?) with myself, and I suppose that's a good thing. Today, I've had about 1100 calories and am going to try and not have anything more.

It is depressing when you've a lot to lose isn't it, it seems almost impossible. It's definitely a good idea to break it down to smaller goals and numbers. I do that and reward myself with small non food related treats when I achieve each goal, like a beauty product or pair of earrings, something that's a luxury and makes you feel nice!

Don't beat yourself up about a slip, we're in it for the long haul and we all have days (or even weeks) when life gets in the way, we have a bad day at work or just fail to resist that bar of chocolate or glass of wine, we're human and it happens! But if you can pick yourself up and draw a line under it not much damage is done and hopefully you can get back on the wagon. Says me who's not much of a role model!! :rolleyes: xx

My bad weekend turned in to a not great week and bad Saturday foodwise. Weight on Friday was 140kg, so slight gain.

I had friends round for dinner Friday night. I cooked chicken in a cream based sauce (with lots of veg) followed by cheesecake and then we had some fruit later that evening. We drank a lot of wine, I had about a bottle of it, and then finished off the cheesecake Saturday and had some beer.

Still haven't started any exercises - I've been meaning to but just haven't got around to it. I have no excuses though, and really will start this week.

Wow - it's been nearly 3 weeks since I've been on here!

So, I've been trying to keep a check on what I've been eating to some extent but have had some chocolate and other rubbish in the last couple of weeks. I don't know why really. Anyway, I weighed myself at work yesterday for the first time in a couple of weeks - 141kg. That's not too bad, but I'm desperate to get below 140kg again. I was quite pleased that, even though I thought I'd slipped back in to my old ways, it couldn't have been as bad as it was before.

I need to get on with it again now.

I'm back, and sad to say I'm back up to 148kg.

I'm ashamed and disgusted with myself. Last summer, I was doing so well and, having just read back through my diary, I was so motivated, upbeat and positive about the whole thing. Now, I'm just mortified that I have undone all that good work. I don't even have any excuses.

I'm back eating chocolate, crisps and cakes.

I'm doing next to no exercise at the moment - nothing needs doing in the garden right now.

I have bought a swimsuit and a sports bra (so there is one small, positive thing I have done) and I plan on going swimming tomorrow morning. That will be the first time I have been swimming in a pool in years - I can't remember the last time I swam in a pool.

So, I now need to get back on track, stick to it and actually lose this weight once and for all.

Hi Loz, nice to see you back, me too! It's so depressing how hard it is to lose, but how quickly and easily it piles back on again isn't it! I managed to put 9lb back on just over December, it's crazy. But we're back for another go, which is good, hopefully this time we can both do it once and for all. You were so supportive of me last summer, let's try and help each other keep on track this year.

Nicky xx

Back