Lunch Ideas

cold lunch ideas?

Hi all,

I'm about to start a new placement where I won't have access to a fridge or microwave and will have to eat my lunch on the move for most of the week. Does anyone have ideas for what I can make for easy packed lunches? Normally I just make extra the night before and heat it up at work.

Thanks

I make a big( 6 eggs and a big tub of cottage cheese) quiche with whatever u want in it, on a Sunday night and have that cold with salad every day for lunch.
Also try curry loaf
1 pack of curry bachelors rice made up as per pack
1 tin asda chickpea dhal (free on ee)
4 eggs

Cook rice mix in chickpea dhal and eggs and cook in a loaf tin for 40ish mins on gas Mark 5
You can also make it into cakes, just cook in a Yorkshire pus tray for 15ish mins

Enjoy with salad and home made raita
Also warms up nicely

Make up a salad using ainsley harriot flavoured cous cous as a base adding some chopped ham, spring/red onion, salad leaves etc and maybe some sliced egg on top. Its very filling even my kids enjoy it.

Hubby prefers it with some dressing on, but I dont bother.

Hey,

An idea for if you do want to heat something up (such as leftover rice or stew from the night before) If you have a kettle at work, boil it. Have your leftovers in a freezer bag, put it in a tupperware box and flatten the mixture out. Pour the boiling water in the tub, over the bag. Put the top on the box and leave it for a few minutes. Every so often, take the bag out and mix the contents up a bit and replace. Your food will not be piping hot, but pleasantly warm! Obviously don't do chicken this way!

Otherwise, search for bento box ideas on the interwebs, cool and cute as well as yummy!

Ellen xxx

I know you said cold lunches but you can get food flasks designed for taking hot food. You can put in left over shepherds pie from the night before, stew, curry and rice, soup. Some people even pop in packets of pasta and sauce, add the boiling water in the morning and it has been absorbed by lunch time. They are only about £5 :)

I hope this helps a little

Hayley xxx

Thanks for the ideas guys. I said cold lunches as I probably wont be in an office for most of the week so hot food wouldn't really be practical. I hadn't heard of food flasks before - think it may well be worth investing in one to keep the food varied!

Thanks again,

hel
x

Maybe take a flask full of boiling water if access to a kettle is a problem, then use to to make up one of those mug shots, or a cup-a-soup etc?
Cous cous is a dream with hot water. I noticed a lot of packets say to microwave or simmer but the chefs on telly just pour some boiling water over it and leave it for a few minutes to fluff up. Works a treat on the flavoured packets and most of them are free on green.

Iv just made Potato,cheese and onion cake and had them with cous cous. You could make it up the night before and eat cold at work.
I got 5 out of the recipe I used, if you would like me to post the recipe let me know.

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]Cheese & Onion Potato Cakes
Free on Green & Extra Easy! This recipe is also really nice with bacon too.

1 large onion
3 medium sized potatoes
42g of low fat cheese (HEA)
a handful of chives
fry light
salt & black pepper

Chop up potatoes into chunks and boil for 10-15 minutes on a low light, making sure they are not too soft.
In the meantime cook the onion in a pan of frylight.
Grate 42g of low fat cheese.
Once potatoes are cooked, leave for 5 minutes to cool off, then grate them gently.
Once grated add the onion, cheese, salt & pepper and chives. Mix together and mould them into round shapes.

Cook in a pan of frylight for 2-3 minutes either side to give them a nice crisp.
Yummy!
[/FONT]

Absolutly gorgeous! Nearly grated my fingers a few times :)

Packed lunch ideas!

I hope I have put this in the right section, I wasn't too sure!

I seem to be spending a lot of my time out or on the move, it's making things a little hard, and at the moment I haven't many ideas for what SW-friendly foods I could take with me. :confused:

I generally do EE, though I'm happy to try a red/green day.

I don't like cold food that much (and don't have access to a microwave at college :() and I'm not big on sandwiches strangely - but I like couscous, fish, pasta, salad, chicken, etc.. anyone got any exciting packed lunch meal ideas for me? Suggestions would be great. :D

x

In my last job we had no microwave and it was a nightmare at lunches! I got a food flask though and it is brilliant. Like a thermos, but with a really wide opening so you can get pretty much anything on there and it keeps it hot for 8 hours.

Other than that i've found wholemeal pittas very handy for lunches

I love pittas (almost forgot) and I'll have a look at the food flasks definitely. I hadn't heard of them before. Thank you.

Sorry also, I just did a search and found some similar threads so I apologise for the repetitiveness, ideas still welcome though of course. :)

My food flask was a god send, i've used it for soup, stew, couscous and roasted veg, and risotto- not all at the same time though!!

Millets and blacks have got them reduced at the moment

If you have time to cook the night before, I made these. I made 5 had three for tea and you could take the other two for dinner. I had mine with cous cous and veg.
Id imagine there are a few other things you can make for tea and have the left overs for lunch, iv been saving recipes on my computer and iv got one for a Lasagne and potatoe and leek bake if you want me to post those too?

• [FONT=Courier New, monospace]Cheese & Onion Potato Cakes
    Free on Green & Extra Easy! This recipe is also really nice with bacon too.

1 large onion
    3 medium sized potatoes
    42g of low fat cheese (HEA)
    a handful of chives
    fry light
    salt & black pepper

Chop up potatoes into chunks and boil for 10-15 minutes on a low light, making sure they are not too soft.
    In the meantime cook the onion in a pan of frylight.
    Grate 42g of low fat cheese.
    Once potatoes are cooked, leave for 5 minutes to cool off, then grate them gently.
    Once grated add the onion, cheese, salt & pepper and chives. Mix together and mould them into round shapes.

Cook in a pan of frylight for 2-3 minutes either side to give them a nice crisp.
    Yummy!
    [/FONT]

Your both welcome. Im doing Boxercise this wednesday, im tempted to make them before I go so they just need cooking when I get in with some cous cous.

Back