Total Solution Mere's Diary

Had a lovely lunch at Frankie and Benny's with hubby, son and his fiancé. I had the light chicken salad but couldn't eat it all. My stomach has shrunk! Finished the day on 803 calories and before any of you kind ladies point out I should be eating more i know I should but I just can't I am stuffed full. x

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

I think you're doing fabulously Mere. You are so controlled! Glad you had a lovely family day. X

Diet fail, I was making a Nutella cheesecake for the family coming for dinner tonight and while looking out the ingredients I found a 100g bar of chocolate. I do not know what possessed me but I ate the lot, did not enjoy it and have felt both physically and mentally sick since. I am not even that keen on chocolate but the damage is done so the rest of the day will have to be damage limitation. Have eaten 720 calories so far today and it is still morning!

Good on you for coming on here & getting it down in writing straight away Mere. Many a times has chocolate been my down fall & I would not have been able to stop at one bar.

Perhaps the smell of the cheesecake ingredients set you off Mere ?? x

I think you are right Susie, I think it was handling the chocolate digestive biscuits I was using as the base. I could kick myself for giving in to temptation. X

Try not to beat yourself up too much. You've been massively under bmr cals all week so you'll still be under if you were looking at the overall week and it'll keep that metabolism ticking nicely xxx

Thanks Carrie I will try to look at it that way. :) x

Finished the day on 1160. Had a stressful evening Mum ended up in hospital with a chest infection, I was there for hours but in the end they sent her home because they had no beds. So came home and I am now sipping a restorative Jack Daniels and diet coke but counted it in my calorie total which was much lower than I was expecting. x

Don't worry Mere, Carrie is right, you've been so under all week it will balance out. It was a mad moment when you were cooking for the family. If it was me I'd have eaten the whole cheesecake :) . Don't dwell on it, tomorrow's a fresh day. Sending you a hug :bighug:

Hope your mum has a speedy recovery Mere x

Thanks Susie, Mum is 84 and this time last year she was in hospital for 4 weeks. She has never really recovered fully and I think one fine day she is going to have a chest infection that she can't get over but hopefully that day is a long way off. x

To be honest Mere, hospital isn't the place to be if mum can mange at home.

Once your lungs have been weakened chest infections do tend to re occur. Take it mum is on anti-biotics. x

Yes she was given antibiotics to take home, she has to see her own doc tomorrow.
Problem is she has early stages of dementia and can't remember things like taking her tablets etc. she gets very confused with anything outside the norm so I will have to keep checking up on her.
She is fiercely independent and wouldn't let me stay over. She can't come to my house although we have four bedrooms they are all upstairs and she couldn't manage them. She lives in a two bedroom bungalow.
Dad died almost 10 years ago so she is on her own. I have to say it is a worry and although I have a brother and sister my brother is in complete denial about Mum's difficulties and my sister is in her own little Ivory castle in the very North of Scotland over 300 miles away!
Enough moaning I am just a bit stressed, off to bed to read a chapter of my book and hopefully a decent nights sleep then everything will seem better. x

Sounds like a tough time for you and your mum mere - dementia is really hard on the family to cope / deal with - big hugs xxx

And don't worry about the chocolate - with the little amount you've been eating this week it will probably give your metabolism a boost :)

Thanks Carrie but she has had a very active life up until last year and no doubt she will get over this too just every illness now leaves her a bit more frail. She has never been overweight but now there is nothing of her. She has gone from a size 14 all her life to wearing size 10s which are hanging off her! x

Thanks Yoyo with Mum ending up in hospital last night the chocolate paled into insignificance. I had a damage limitation day and ended up under my 1200 target so that was fine. Down day today. x

I understand what you are saying Mere.

People do like to hold onto every ounce of independence as they get older. I suppose that's the only way they can feel in control of their own lives.

My dad lives alone 80 miles away so its regular backwards & forwards at the moment with one appointment or another. I cant let him go on his own cos he forgets half of what they say !! xx

I am lucky Mum is only 15 miles away but I too have to take her to all her appointments. The problem is my brother and sister give me no help. My brother is supposedly always working, the only person I know who works 24 hours a day 7 days a week! My sister lives conveniently hundreds of miles away so when she does come she stays for 1 day and expects Mum to run about after her!
I am very fortunate that I have a wonderful daughter who takes over Mum's care when I am on holiday, I don't know what Mum or I would do without her. It is difficult when your parents get very elderly. x

Both my sister & my husbands brother moved away so looking after the parents became our sole responsibility. Not sure if its because we are both the first born in our families. Gone are the days when families all live close together x

Back