mightymonocle's up and coming food log

Morning MM... Great menu! I must try the sushi log! Lol ... Hope you have a good day :)

Morning MM, your starting to give Heston Blumenthal a run for his money lol........!

Sounds great :eek:)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Morning,

LOL @ the sushi log :)

Hi MM - very excited about your sushi log/salad idea:D. Have been missing sushi for 10 and half nonths now...and yes im counting!!!;)

it genuinely does taste like sushi, but the cauli-rice is too moist for the nori (seaweed) so it becomes difficult to cut + doesn't make for successful sushi rolls
.. if you're missing the flavour though, I would suggest you just make it into a 'sushi salad' by mixing, veg + fish of choice, (I chose avacado + salmon) with some prepared cauli rice. Add about a tbsp of soy sauce, sesame seed oil, rice wine vinegar + just a dash of sweetner to the rice and it really has that sushi flavour, if you have nori you could include it in the mix. let me know if you try it or if you figure out a better way of preparing the rolls! :)

MM... Definitely one to try! Hope you have a good day :)

it genuinely does taste like sushi, but the cauli-rice is too moist for the nori (seaweed) so it becomes difficult to cut + doesn't make for successful sushi rolls

Would it work to quickly fry the cauliflower a bit - to get rid of some of the moisture? Not sure if that would change the taste too much, though...

Otherwise could xamthan gum or arrowroot make it a bit stickier?

Good luck, Mx

yeah i think frying it could do the trick to dry it out if you have the time to wait for it to cool, I have some xanthan gum too, next time I try it i'll add a little to see, thanks SP. Not heard much about arrowroot, is it a similar thing?

yeah i think frying it could do the trick to dry it out if you have the time to wait for it to cool, I have some xanthan gum too, next time I try it i'll add a little to see, thanks SP. Not heard much about arrowroot, is it a similar thing?

It's like cornstarch (and is all carbs) but you can use less of it for the same result. It's more expensive than cornflour, but not as much as xanthan gum. I saw it mentioned on an Atkins site, but the more I read, the more controversial it seems to be... Most people seem to come down on the side of xanthan gum. :)

Mx

PS - you do know it's me, right? :D

It's like cornstarch (and is all carbs) but you can use less of it for the same result. It's more expensive than cornflour, but not as much as xanthan gum. I saw it mentioned on an Atkins site, but the more I read, the more controversial it seems to be... Most people seem to come down on the side of xanthan gum. :)

Mx

PS - you do know it's me, right? :D

yeahhh will probably stick with xanthan gum in any case.

And yeah haha - your profile picture had given it away. Wasn't sure if you knew it was me though, as I don't tend to use my name on minimins- so didn't know if it was awkward or not. :p But, yeah, hey marianne :)

You becoming more interested in low carb eating lately or just generally researching different diet plans?

09/11/11
B- oopsie roll w/ tsp almond butter, cheese triangle
L-none
D-2 chicken thighs, stuffed mushroom + 1/2 a yellow pepper
+ I tried a little bit of a choc MIM w/ cream cheese frosting.. yum!
I made it for a (non-low-carbing) house mate's birthday, as it was so quick + easy to make, haha.

...You becoming more interested in low carb eating lately or just generally researching different diet plans?

Mmm, I was doing the whole "is this awkward?" thing too! :D

I think I've known for years that I was having too much in the way of carbs, but maybe didn't appreciate *just* how much. I've written some of my ideas and thoughts about it here, if you're interested (um, you mention in it briefly, but it's all good, honest... :eek:):

http://www.minimins.com/lipotrim-maintenance/237201-carbs-devil-d.html

Incidentally, I'm dying to try those ham-egg-cups!
Mx

Hi M... Just read you postings on LT - really interesting :)

Morning MM et al.

I agree cauli rice can be too wet, and I use xanthum gum as well.

Morning MM... I've not bought any gum yet - was worried that it might fall under the frankenfoods category!

Jim - I didn't realise you used it... I'm guessing it might make meals feel more substantial if they have been thickened? Am thinking of a curry sauce or something...

Di - dont buy any....i've got a spare pot. First one they sent had leaked all over the box so i moaned and they sent another. Also i've only used twice...found other ways to thicken it up (usually cream) or dont bother! Will bring a pot to next meet

Hi MM, food sounds good as always:). Try not to skip to many meals!

Morning MM, yes you shouldn't be skipping meals.

I do use it Di, but not very often. The tub i have is probably 2 or 3 years old.

not planning on skipping meals, just trying to respond to my hunger, plus I was just too busy for lunch yesterday! but yeah, don't think it will happen to often guys :)

11/11/11
B- 2 stuffed mushrooms + a 2 egg omelet
L-spicy chicken salad w/ a spoon of home made salsa + sour cream
S- mim, slice of ham + cheese
D-cauliflower + tuna melt

Back