Morticia's Musings

Hi folks,

Been doing quite well since I got back. W/I tonight and I've lost the 3lb I put on last week. I did think most of it was fluid retention but I've been more mindful of the fruit. Next big challenge is first trigger week which starts on Thurs. I better go off and read my books again so I don't muck it up.

Had a good session at LL tonight even though there were only 2 of us and the other woman I'd only just met, for some reason we just clicked and a lot of what we talked about (body image) made lightulbs go off in my head. Food for thought.

Hope everyone else has had a good day....:)

What sort of issues were you discussing in relation to body image? :) It'd be interesting to know your thoughts on the subject!

And well done on the WI! It was indeed mostly just fluid retention; it accounts for about 6-11lbs of weight in some individuals, depends on your body to be honest! :) As for fruit; it's important and interesting to explore the issue of - just because it's the 'healthy' choice - does that mean we can have more of it? Well, 'healthy' and 'non-healthy' is crooked thinking, technically every food has some merit in it. And even too much of a good thing can be bad. :D

Have fun with the trigger week - don't overthink it, but also really look and listen to your body for these. Don't push it, if you aren't completely ready for these items yet, don't force yourself. :) Personally I only introduced bread/pasta/rice (my triggers) only when I was totally ready, and that was actually 3 months after I finished RTM. I'm still working on the sugar bits - but in all reality we don't NEED chocolate or sweets every day; so that one's a moot point. I just need to increase the fruit which in itself will be interesting. :)

x

Hi Min,

Re the body image thing. Was quite simple really, just looking at what part of our body we focus on when we look in the mirror. For me, like a lot of other LL'ers it's my tummy. Mostly due to the fact I've always felt that's where I hold most of my fat, or did. Also because I got really bad stretch marks while pregnant and have never come to terms with them. So I talked about how much I loathed my tummy, how repulsive I've felt it was etc. The LLC did a kind of Gok Wan thing where she turned it round and asked how I feel about others with a bit of a tummy and stretch marks. Well I see a lot of that in my job so I said I note it, I can see it as a clinical observation, but I attach no feelings to it. It's not like I look at someone else and think...ohh yuck she has stretch marks.....so why feel that way about my own???

So simple really but puts it in perspective a tiny bit. I'm going to work on looking at my tummy when I'm in my underwear and thinking about the positives...ie it helped bring into the world my lovely son and without that important event my life would be poorer. Listening to the Cd yesterday helped too, I think it was number 4 and has a bit about body image in it.

Hope that makes sense....:)

I love that idea Morticia :) I can look at my sister and think she looks amazing even though we have the same little belly and probably a similar amount of streach marks. However I look at mine and put myself down for it. I need to get over this. Can I ask what you do for a living?

Jez
xx

Re the body image thing. Was quite simple really, just looking at what part of our body we focus on when we look in the mirror. For me, like a lot of other LL'ers it's my tummy. Mostly due to the fact I've always felt that's where I hold most of my fat, or did. Also because I got really bad stretch marks while pregnant and have never come to terms with them. So I talked about how much I loathed my tummy, how repulsive I've felt it was etc. The LLC did a kind of Gok Wan thing where she turned it round and asked how I feel about others with a bit of a tummy and stretch marks. Well I see a lot of that in my job so I said I note it, I can see it as a clinical observation, but I attach no feelings to it. It's not like I look at someone else and think...ohh yuck she has stretch marks.....so why feel that way about my own???

That's an interesting technique isn't it Morticia! I figured that one out for myself back in high school. Why criticise myself so harshly thinking that everyone else does the same - when you don't judge others anywhere near in the same light? Sometimes when people obsess over something - it's only visible to them. Lets say - I have a spot on my forehead. I think it's huge and think everyone else will think so aswell. However, when I see someone else with that exact same spot - I think nothing of it; as long as they don't actually make a fuss!

It's like that with most things in life. At the end of the day, most of us have the same issues, problems, joys and experiences. We are all human, and by striving for individuality we forget how truly similar we all are. It is in our nature to be extremely self-involved; so; it's almost easier to live life by not worrying about the insignificant lumps and bumps, but try to make our lives worth while by going forward and never letting such things hold us back!

Keep on growing that idea - when you are in doubt of whether your 'bum looks too big in this' (or any other issue!) - just walk out the door and soon enough that worry will be a drifting memory.

All good points there min, thanks for that.

Well I've had a couple of rollercoaster days. However, have not gone off plan and can recognise these are the times I would have been overeating. Just the process of that recognition is enough to show me how far I've come.

So what's it all about? Well my first week of trigger foods started yesterday. I've been in two minds about introducing them as I've felt so healthy both in foundation and in RTM so far. None of the previous bloated feelings, tummy bloating up and feeling uncomfortable (got this sounds like an ad for actimel!!) So as I said I was in two minds. But the stubourn part of me wants to continue doing this by the book. I just feel such a sense of achievement having not lapsed etc. So yesterday I added in some rice to my lunch, nothing too fancy just boiled rice with some curry powder to colour, added in some sultanas, pine nuts and some red pepper. I had this on top of a crunchy salad and it was fab. However, about 45 mins after finishing my luch I felt a bit bloated, and also felt quite tired, I could have fell asleep at my desk. This brought back lots of memories of feeling "too" full. I guess that's how I used to eat...:(

So next hurdle is that over the last week I've developed a medical problem that can be brought on by about 7 different causes...6 of which are serious. So I've been a bit anxious about that. Had a colleague check me out, he was concerned enough to say...leave work now and go see your own Gp....my own Gp was concerned enough to write a letter and send me off to A&E with it....:(

Good news is, after spending a good few hours at the hospital, they don't think it's caused by any of the serious causes and may resolve in the next few weeks. So when I came home I realised this would be the time I would want food. I've been through a scare, have had terrible anxieties and now feel releived but want to fil that hole. I ate a bit of fruit as although I knew I was feeling a degree of emotional hunger, I still felt some physical hunger. I've since had my dinner which was some pasta added to some ratatouille. So far I feel fine other than feeling a bit tired again. I'm not sure I want to have these carbs when I'm on maintenance.

If anyone who has been through this part of RTM before and has any words of wisdom for me then please go ahead and though your 2p in...:)

The carbs issue... When they are reintroduced back they are likely to make you feel a little odd at first. They are quite a heavy substance on their own, and the feelings which you are feeling now - WILL lift in a few days. Remember carb-withdrawal? It was horrible, headaches, hunger etc... this is kind of similar. Your glycogen is going to be restoring itself by having these. Perhaps to ease the process you could try proper Wholewheat varieties - they are lower Gi than white processed wheat varieties of pasta/bread and what not. Also they will give you longer lasting energy. So: Wild/Brown rice over White. Maybe you can even try Buckwheat noodles instead of White Durum pasta. It's bound to be easier on the tummy. ;)
Perhaps some Couscous. Have a go at buying some of the Ainsley Harriott couscous packets: I personally find about quarter of the packet (25g dry) is more than enough to be mixed in with a salad and some vegetables, with a lovely slither of chicken or drizzled with prawns! Have a go perhaps easing yourself in that way. Small portion and it's extremely delicious!

Also; having a predominantly protein meal with a little helping of carbohydrate will give you lots of energy! Such two eggs and a slice of toast, or beans and baked potato. They compliment each other very well. It's important to find that balance for yourself, and sometimes, with carbs: less is more! Never cut them out completely because they are one of the main sources of energy for us, but it's knowing how much we need to keep us running well and healthy - which is an individual judgement. :)

Min, thanks so much for your advice. I had couscous last night with my meal and tonight again. Not felt that tired way at all with it. Tomorrow will try noodles...:)

:D Egg noodle nests are awesome in that case! Already measured out for you, though I still find 50g quite a lot in one go!
Have fun with it, and explore. :) Perhaps try some Quinoa - which is also quite similar to couscous; but is more 'protein' based as I think it may be a pulse or seed? I'm not sure! And I've always found Butter Beans an excellent substitute for potatoes. They taste starchy and powdery like potatoes, but are predominantly a complex protein? Tinned varieties, if you slide the skins off, boil the beans a little - you can probably make a really lovely mash with some mayonnaise/or sour cream, herbs, salt & pepper to taste. I've been meaning to try this for quite a while! :)

Lol, we make a lot of cannelini bean with roast garlic and thyme puree at work, as it is on a dish on my menu, it is absolutely lush!!!

Jez
xx

Yum

I use Quinoa, hot and cold. Hot with some Marigold, roasted garlic vegetables and a dollop of the fat free yeo valley yog with some smoked paprika and fresh basil on top.
Cold like Tabboulleh with loads of fresh parsley, mint, chopped tomatoes olive oil and lemon juice. Zingy and fresh.
You can add all sorts including pine nuts or cashews.
Lentils and chick peas are good "fillers" too.
As Del Boy said "the world's your lobster Rodney"!

As we're talking about Quinoa - I tried to make some for the OH a couple of weeks ago and it ended up looking like semolina! As I wasn't eating at the point I couldn't tell what it tasted like but it certainly didn't look like cous cous - more porridgey.
Any tips for cooking it?

Oh sounds nice BL, I must try it.

Ok, another little bit of rambling from me. Firstly I'm doing quite well with my first week of trigger foods I think. As I said before, rice and pasta made me a bit tired post prandial. Couscous has been much better. Planning on noodles or potato tomorrow before having a non trigger food day on Wednesday (I did not plan that well, Wednesday is my birthday and going out for dinner, but then it will be no different to any other day I've gone out to dinner in non trigger food weeks). Food wise my choices have been good, calorie intake has been good, and nothing is tempting me the way it used to. I've had a few moments where I'm a bit stressed and I recognise I want food, and I would normally have food in the past, but I just let it pass, and for some reason these days it does not have the pull it used to have...tis all good stuff.

Saturday saw me having some wine. I'm not really that fussed for alcohol and probably did not have any until week 7 I think. So I usually have one glass. Did the same on Sat but it was a pub measure of a large glass. Had it then imediately wanted another, now I know alcohol is not a trigger for me, but because it was a large glass, I'd not had dinner and I'm not used to alcohol I felt very merry very quickly and I think that's why I decided to have another. Anyway after about 2 sips of the next glass I suddenly realised that I did not feel great. Nothing too serious, just that light headed way when you know you've had enough and you really should eat something. So I stopped and asked for a diet coke, and luckily I had my bar in my bag and started to munch on that...did not finish it but it was enough to stop my blood sugar from going any lower. I'm not really writing anything here very profound, just another little step in the re-introduction of everything that we stepped back from and it's interesting to see/feel how your body reacts and copes with them.

I think my stumbling block will be sugar. I've always been drawn to sweet things. I'm keeping an open mind though because all the way through and at this moment in time I would not thank you for a cake/biscuit or anything that used to pull me in. I just don't want it. I want/crave healthy things and revel so much in having the control back......who said I was a control freak...:D

Well first week of trigger foods under my belt which saw me lose 2lb, I'm just 1/2lb away from 4 stones off....:D

Only minor problems with rice and pasta that made me feel tired afterwards. Nothing else has caused any probs. I'm going to try brown rice and wholewheat pasta when I finish RTM and see if that makes a difference.

Tomorrow (or technically today) is my birthday so going to have my new favourite breakfast in bed, scrambled egg with smoked salmon.

Had a lovely positive stroke moment tonight when my LLC asked me if I could stay behind next week to talk with the new people from the class that comes in afterwards. I was puzzled and asked why she wanted me to chat with them. She said it's cos they all rave about me every week when our class leaves and passes them in the corridor. They think I look quite glam and can't imagine I was ever a fat person....lol. I was quite flattered. So agreed and will take in my before and after pics next week to show them I absolutely was a fat person.

:birthday: :birthday: to YOU!!!

Have a fab day Morticia! Sounds like a scrummy breakfast. Hope you have other big plans for the day - where are you going for dinner?

Congratulations on achieving glam skinny minny status for this birthday :D.

xx

Ohh thanks very much guys.....:D

Had a lovely day today. Felt thoroughly spoiled. As I said in another thread, I went shopping for an amazing pair of patent boots from Dune but could not decide between two styles so ended up with both....no idea how that happened...:sign0007::D

Had coffee with a friend in the morning, went shopping with hubby in the afternoon and out to dinner with family tonight. Went to a lovely fish restaurant. Had steamed mussels in cider and rosemary to start with, then for mains had grilled mackrel with warm tomato and olive salad. And for puds I just had a poached pear. One glass of wine only and some black coffee. Think iI did not bad as had light breakfast of 40g smoked salmon and scrambled egg and a bar at lunchtime. Well even if I've gone over my allowance today I don't think a fat person will make!!!

Back