MWWWD (or Moonwatcher's Weight Watchers Diary!)

Thanks Serena. OH is like a cat with two tails at the choice of cake in the house! I'm a bit less enthusiastic because although I want to have a piece, everything I eat is affecting my stomach since Sunday, so will probably settle for yogurt for breakfast. Just don't fancy cake (he is planning to toast a piece of the raisin loaf,) I was going to have a blueberry scone with cream cheese and honey... maybe later. I am sure my cake appetite will come back soon enough!

Some of the Gf stuff is higher I'm calories, especially the shop bought ones, because the gf flours absorb more moisture so more fat is often added to make up for that. I try to add my moisture in other ways, but I think that is partly what went wrong with the muffins - the recipe was far two dry. I have noticed it with several of the recipes in the book - she must use very large eggs! I added some milk, but the coconut flour didn't absorb it properly, hence the slimy textute. I used honey instead of sugar in the scones, which doesn't reduce calories as such, but gives some sweetness as liquid, and they have a little butter rubbed in, but not much when you divide by 8 scones.

I think it is quite difficult to make a successful really low cal gf cake. I promise to continue my extensive research though!

You have to continue on your quest for GFers everywhere! Those Muffins sound 'delightful' ;-) Hope your Cake Appetite comes back soon, you're letting the Team down! X

You have to continue on your quest for GFers everywhere! Those Muffins sound 'delightful' ;-) Hope your Cake Appetite comes back soon, you're letting the Team down! X

I promise I'll do my best... managed half a scone this evening!

Update for Tuesday 29th October

Stomach still 'glutenated' today (yep that is what they call it!) plus the other usual weird effects yesterday and today, so I'm sure something 'illegal' sneaked in somewhere. Bought some digestive enzymes today which are supposed to help if you slip up or unknowingly eat something you shouldn't, but it is too late for them to do much this time I think. At least I will be prepared for the future. You can take them all the time, but I would rather not do that, so will probably aim to take them on days when I am eating out, holidays etc. I know I am super careful at home. Anyway, today's food...

Breakfast - greek yogurt with teaspoon of honey, cup of earl grey with milk

Mid morning - coffee and cream, handful of kettle crisps

In the car on way to the (cold) coast - Hairbo Tangfastic - quite a few, we shared the packet between us.

A bit of bargain hunting - an autumn colours fleece lined jacket for a fiver, 4 large packs of crystalised ginger at £4 for two (usual price at H&B is £3.75 per single pack) and two packs of Sainsbury finest mince for half price.

An affogato coffee, then a walk along the front and round the town (hats and gloves on now - the wind was cold) and then a pub meal. We went to the same place as on Saturday, as I know they are clued up on gluten free and I had the gammon again, as it is very good, plus a whisky and dry ginger, for a change

Walked back to the car along the sea front, in the dark - there is something so mysterious about the sea at night!

Once home we lit the fire and plonked down for teas and coffees. For supper I did manage a half of a gluten free blueberry scone with a scrape of butter. Off to bed now. OH is back at work now for the rest of the week, so I have three days to play with up to the weekend. I think tomorrow will be a washing and ironing day. Oh deep joy!

Very cross MW here. It turns out the supplement Holland and Barrett sold me yesterday to help with the effects of eating wheat/gluten actually contain wheat products! So I have been taking extra in the tablets! Feel worse than ever now after taking them yesterday. Awake most of the night and awful stomach pains, ache all over etc. Will be taking them back to the shop at the weekend. Am very annoyed. Should have checked the ingredients list but after explaining in detail what I wanted. I never dreamt in a million years they would sell me something.with wheat in it!

Last edited:
OMG MW I can't believe that about the Tablets :-0 I'm shocked, that would be like me explaining I was Veggie and them selling me something which contained Gelatine, I would be horrified! I do hope you're going to take your Complaint to Head Office Level? You mustn't let them get away with that. X

OMG MW I can't believe that about the Tablets :-0 I'm shocked, that would be like me explaining I was Veggie and them selling me something which contained Gelatine, I would be horrified! I do hope you're going to take your Complaint to Head Office Level? You mustn't let them get away with that. X

I have been thinking about going to the Head Office, but, annoyed as I am, I'm going to give the shop a chance to put it right first. It wasn't the manager who served me as he wasn't in, but a young boy. I'm sure it wouldn't have happened if the manager had been there as he is brilliant. The Holland and Barrett stores are franchises and this one is a small store in a town that is struggling to keep small stores going, so I would not like to do anything to make it difficult for them, BUT I don't feel it is acceptable. I think the manager will be horrified and will deal with it well, but if not, then I will take it further.

Still in bed at the moment - managed to get back to sleep after some mint tea and my microwave wheat pad on my tummy for some heat (I know, how ironic is that? Haha!) Just had some yogurt and another mint tea for breakfast.

I have been thinking about going to the Head Office, but, annoyed as I am, I'm going to give the shop a chance to put it right first. It wasn't the manager who served me as he wasn't in, but a young boy. I'm sure it wouldn't have happened if the manager had been there as he is brilliant. The Holland and Barrett stores are franchises and this one is a small store in a town that is struggling to keep small stores going, so I would not like to do anything to make it difficult for them, BUT I don't feel it is acceptable. I think the manager will be horrified and will deal with it well, but if not, then I will take it further.

Still in bed at the moment - managed to get back to sleep after some mint tea and my microwave wheat pad on my tummy for some heat (I know, how ironic is that? Haha!) Just had some yogurt and another mint tea for breakfast.

Did you manage to speak with the Manager? I agree to take it to Store Level and then escalate it if you don't feel it has been suitably resolved. X PS-How's the Tummy now? X

Did you manage to speak with the Manager? I agree to take it to Store Level and then escalate it if you don't feel it has been suitably resolved. X PS-How's the Tummy now? X

I haven't been back there yet - will probably go back to the town tomorrow or Saturday. Hardly left my bed yesterday in the end until about 5 o'clock! It completely knocked me out this time, with all the pains and the fuzzy brain effect too! I could hardly string two words together when I was trying to talk to OH last night - kept forgetting the words for everything. Apparently that is quite a common symptom, but I''ve not had it so severely before. Now I'm off the wheat/gluten, slip ups seem to hit me harder than they did before. :((

Tummy seems to be a lot better today thanks Serena. I feel like I have been steam rollered, (like a cartoon character!) but a lot less stomach pain than yesterday. Have just had a late breakfast of greek yogurt, so will see how that goes. Can't make up my mind whether to stay in, or go out. I had planned a shopping and bargain hunting day just for me today, but not sure I can be bothered! Already feel that I have lost one day of the holiday though and don't want to lose any more. If I stay in I will catch up on the ironing, which isn't appealing much either!
I'm going to finish my cup of tea, catch up with Minis, and then decide.
Are you feeling better today?
I am off now to catch up on your diary. May need to put the kettle on again!

I haven't been back there yet - will probably go back to the town tomorrow or Saturday. Hardly left my bed yesterday in the end until about 5 o'clock! It completely knocked me out this time, with all the pains and the fuzzy brain effect too! I could hardly string two words together when I was trying to talk to OH last night - kept forgetting the words for everything. Apparently that is quite a common symptom, but I''ve not had it so severely before. Now I'm off the wheat/gluten, slip ups seem to hit me harder than they did before. :((

Tummy seems to be a lot better today thanks Serena. I feel like I have been steam rollered, (like a cartoon character!) but a lot less stomach pain than yesterday. Have just had a late breakfast of greek yogurt, so will see how that goes. Can't make up my mind whether to stay in, or go out. I had planned a shopping and bargain hunting day just for me today, but not sure I can be bothered! Already feel that I have lost one day of the holiday though and don't want to lose any more. If I stay in I will catch up on the ironing, which isn't appealing much either!
I'm going to finish my cup of tea, catch up with Minis, and then decide.
Are you feeling better today?
I am off now to catch up on your diary. May need to put the kettle on again!

Hey MW, I'm so sorry to hear that you were KO'd yesterday! That sounds horrendous :-( Digestive Problems are just the worse, luckily mine has never been as bad as yours but can totally sympathise with how rubbish you must of felt :-( I know you want to make the best of your Hols but don't push yourself today, remember that you need to recover, don't want you In pain again tonight. Who would of thought something as simple as Wheat for you and Fibre for me could cause so many problems :-( x

It can be a swine what our bodies do to us can't it? I have decided I will go out, but probably just to one town, instead of the three town bargain swoop I was planning! Will go to a nice little market town nearby which I don't very often go to. The shops are all around the centre or under cover, quite close together and I can stop for a coffee and perhaps a jacket potato. (I know, I lead a jet setting life. Hold yourselves back!) Will take my graze box which arrived yesterday, in case I need a snack too. There is a Morrison's in the town too. so I can pop in there for a mooch around, but we don't need a 'proper' weekly shop, so if I have had enough can just come home.

I think I will be grouchy tonight if I stay in, as I'll feel it was forced upon me. I also don't want to do the ironing! Just going to check OH's wages have arrived in the bank, then jumping into the shower, wrapping up in a cosy jumper, and I'm off. Bargain radar initialised!

It can be a swine what our bodies do to us can't it? I have decided I will go out, but probably just to one town, instead of the three town bargain swoop I was planning! Will go to a nice little market town nearby which I don't very often go to. The shops are all around the centre or under cover, quite close together and I can stop for a coffee and perhaps a jacket potato. (I know, I lead a jet setting life. Hold yourselves back!) Will take my graze box which arrived yesterday, in case I need a snack too. There is a Morrison's in the town too. so I can pop in there for a mooch around, but we don't need a 'proper' weekly shop, so if I have had enough can just come home.

I think I will be grouchy tonight if I stay in, as I'll feel it was forced upon me. I also don't want to do the ironing! Just going to check OH's wages have arrived in the bank, then jumping into the shower, wrapping up in a cosy jumper, and I'm off. Bargain radar initialised!

I like the idea of using his wages ;-) I hope you enjoy your Day, anything has to be better than Ironing! I'm jealous of your Graze Box too ;-) Do you just ask to be sent the WF Options? X

Yay! His wages are in! Yes I selected only the gf options for the graze box. My next one is free, then I will probably cancel, as although they are good, and it is nice to get home and see one on the doormat waiting for me, they work out expensive for what you get. I can make up my own mixes for a lot less, and have exactly what I want in them On this special offer I will have had 5 for the price of 3, so not too bad!

Right, I am finally off to the shower, and then out of the door. Bye bye ironing pile!

Slight change of plan as it is market day where I planned to shop! I thought it was on Fridays! Half the main car park closed off for it, and other car parks all choc-a-bloc. After seeing two men almost come to blows over a parking space I gave up and drove somewhere else. This is supposed to be a fun, easy afternoon after all! Got a few bargains, but have to admit my heart isn't in it as much as usual. Will update with details later. At the moment I am indulging in some quality control at Costa's. I am happy to confirm that their gluten free brownies are up to their usual standard!

Morrison's next. May have to pay their cheese counter a visit for smoked feta and bonfire cheddar.

Yay! His wages are in! Yes I selected only the gf options for the graze box. My next one is free, then I will probably cancel, as although they are good, and it is nice to get home and see one on the doormat waiting for me, they work out expensive for what you get. I can make up my own mixes for a lot less, and have exactly what I want in them On this special offer I will have had 5 for the price of 3, so not too bad!

Right, I am finally off to the shower, and then out of the door. Bye bye ironing pile!

Think I've only had Graze when they have been Free or Half Price, too expensive otherwise! X

Slight change of plan as it is market day where I planned to shop! I thought it was on Fridays! Half the main car park closed off for it, and other car parks all choc-a-bloc. After seeing two men almost come to blows over a parking space I gave up and drove somewhere else. This is supposed to be a fun, easy afternoon after all! Got a few bargains, but have to admit my heart isn't in it as much as usual. Will update with details later. At the moment I am indulging in some quality control at Costa's. I am happy to confirm that their gluten free brownies are up to their usual standard!

Morrison's next. May have to pay their cheese counter a visit for smoked feta and bonfire cheddar.

Mmmmmmm Costa! Did the 2 Legged Mouse find anything nice in Morrisons ;-) Any other exciting Purchases to report? X

Well, when I went through my bags I did seem to have more than I thought! I got a couple of skirts and a top for work at less than £3 each, two scarves for 95p each, a £2 green canvas handbag and my buy of the day was a pair of brown leather and suede ankle boots for £3.50. They are comfy flats - for casual walks, rather than proper 'walking boots,' I saw a similar pair in a local discount store a couple of week ago for £13, but mine are nicer, and a lot cheaper!

Not many yellow stickies at Morrison's today. Added to the cheese stash though with bonfire cheddar, blacksticks blue, jarlsberg, sweetfire chilli and jalapeno cheddar and a pineapple and almond cream cheese roll (Morrison's own version of Castello, I would think).

Will update today and yesterday's food in a mo.

Food for Wednesday 30th October

Breakfast - greek yogurt with tropical trail mix and maple syrup, mint tea x 2

Lunch - Mrs Crimble's gluten free cheese crackers, castello pineapple cheese, sweet chilli philadelphia light and chipotle cheddar, mini salami stick, sweetfire beetroot, mint tea

Late afternoon - piece of gluten free carrot cake, coffee with cream

Dinner - roast beef with carrots, sprouts and roasties, leek and onion gravy and homemade horseradish sauce. The beef and gravy was basically already made for this and although I really didn't want to cook, I was really glad I did as it was delicious and I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected.

Later - 2 satsumas, gingerbread slice

More mint teas, water, tiny glass of cider

Total calories for the day 2204/2160 (+ 44 calories)

Today, Thursday 31st October

Breakfast - greek yogurt with maple syrup, earl grey with milk

While shopping - Graze Box 'Scrumptious Strawberry Swirl' mix, Costa latte, Costa gluten free choc brownie

After Morrison's - one ounce packet of lightly salted kettle crisps

At home later - one coffee with cream

Dinner - roast beef with mash, onion and leek gravy, carrots and home grown runner beans, home made horseradish sauce,

Treat later - snack size twirl (well I got these in for Trick or Treaters of course and we didn't get any, so it would have been rude not to test them out!)

Total calories today 2135/2160 (under by 25 calories)

I popped into a (different) Holland and Barrett today and picked up some Aloe Vera juice and some nettle tablets, both of which are supposed to be soothing and helpful for inflamed tums. I asked the owner of the shop which digestive enzymes she would sell me to help with accidentally eating wheat/gluten. She was quite horrified when I told her why, and kept apologising for the other shop, even though it wasn't her fault.

Well, when I went through my bags I did seem to have more than I thought! I got a couple of skirts and a top for work at less than £3 each, two scarves for 95p each, a £2 green canvas handbag and my buy of the day was a pair of brown leather and suede ankle boots for £3.50. They are comfy flats - for casual walks, rather than proper 'walking boots,' I saw a similar pair in a local discount store a couple of week ago for £13, but mine are nicer, and a lot cheaper!

Not many yellow stickies at Morrison's today. Added to the cheese stash though with bonfire cheddar, blacksticks blue, jarlsberg, sweetfire chilli and jalapeno cheddar and a pineapple and almond cream cheese roll (Morrison's own version of Castello, I would think).

Will update today and yesterday's food in a mo.

Yey for Bargains! I *might* be Popping out myself today, fingers crossed for some clothing shaped bargains for me! Cheese Stash sounds good other than the Pineapple and Almond Comobo, that just sounds WRONG with Cheese! X

Food for Wednesday 30th October

Breakfast - greek yogurt with tropical trail mix and maple syrup, mint tea x 2

Lunch - Mrs Crimble's gluten free cheese crackers, castello pineapple cheese, sweet chilli philadelphia light and chipotle cheddar, mini salami stick, sweetfire beetroot, min

Late afternoon - piece of gluten free carrot cake, coffee with cream

Dinner - roast beef with carrots, sprouts and roasties, leek and onion gravy and homemade horseradish sauce. The beef and gravy was basically already made for this and although I really didn't want to cook, I was really glad I did as it was delicious and I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected.

Later - 2 satsumas, gingerbread slice

More mint teas, water, tiny glass of cider

Total calories for the day 2204/2160 (+ 44 calories)

Wow! All that food and only 44cals over! Amazing! X

Today, Thursday 31st October

Breakfast - greek yogurt with maple syrup, earl grey with milk

While shopping - Graze Box 'Scrumptious Strawberry Swirl' mix, Costa latte, Costa gluten free choc brownie

After Morrison's - one ounce packet of lightly salted kettle crisps

At home later - one coffee with cream

Dinner - roast beef with mash, onion and leek gravy, carrots and home grown runner beans, home made horseradish sauce,

Treat later - snack size twirl (well I got these in for Trick or Treaters of course and we didn't get any, so it would have been rude not to test them out!)

Total calories today 2135/2160 (under by 25 calories)

I popped into a (different) Holland and Barrett today and picked up some Aloe Vera juice and some nettle tablets, both of which are supposed to be soothing and helpful for inflamed tums. I asked the owner of the shop which digestive enzymes she would sell me to help with accidentally eating wheat/gluten. She was quite horrified when I told her why, and kept apologising for the other shop, even though it wasn't her fault.

I'm glad that one H&B Store had some sense ;-) I occasionally take Aloe Vera Gel and find it to be very very good. I choose Treat....You could always post me a Twirl ;-) x

Yey for Bargains! I *might* be Popping out myself today, fingers crossed for some clothing shaped bargains for me! Cheese Stash sounds good other than the Pineapple and Almond Comobo, that just sounds WRONG with Cheese! X

Wow! All that food and only 44cals over! Amazing! X

I'm glad that one H&B Store had some sense ;-) I occasionally take Aloe Vera Gel and find it to be very very good. I choose Treat....You could always post me a Twirl ;-) x

We haven't tried the pineapple cheese yet, but we love the Castello and I imagine it will be similar. What about cheese and pineapple on sticks? Or is it the nuts with it you don't fancy?

Haha. I would choose Treat every time!

I'm taking the Aloe Vera for a few days to really give my stomach a chance to settle down, then I'll keep it for 'emergencies.' I don't like relying on any medications or supplements unless I have to, even the natural ones.

Not updated food for yesterday. Didn't log calories, but here is the list as best I can remember.

Friday November 1st

Breakfast - gluten free honey nut cornflakes with milk, mint tea

Lunch while shopping - found a delightful little coffee shop, with several gluten free options. I have never seen it before in that town as it is down a side street which I have never been down. I had their home made broccoli and goats cheese soup with gluten free bread and butter, followed by a gluten free brownie with toffee sauce and vanilla ice cream. Washed it down with an affogato coffee.

The shopping was not as exciting as usual - managed to find a nice scarf which matches a skirt I have, for under a pound, and a hat with a built in scarf for going on winter beach walks. I have been looking for a particular style and colour of boots, but no success, despite trawling just about every secondhand shop in the county!

Was absolutely shattered by the time I got home. I think the wheat/gluten episode took more out of me than I realised. OH was also tired after a long day of driving, so we went to a local pub for food, especially as it was still technically holidays! What a disaster - first the waiter forgot to bring the gf menu and wanted to take my order anyway. Fair enough, any one can make a mistake, but then I asked what kind of flavoured ciders they had as I don't like any of the red ones. The strawberry and lime one is nice, he said. Er, no thanks, (isn't strawberry red?) I tried again - what do you have that isn't red? White grape, he said. Brilliant, white grape it is, except when it finally arrived, after about 25 minutes and a polite reminder from OH, it was red grape. They don't do a white grape one said the waitress. So anyway we both ordered a starter and a main. Starters were ok, but for main course OH ordered a Great British Combo from the specials board, which is steak and sausages. chips, etc. When it came, he had the starter dish called Classic Combo, which was hard fried mushrooms, soggy garlic bread, frozen onion rings, two smoked chicken wings etc, which was not what he was expecting at all! The corn on the cob side order was so mushy that we showered ourselves with water when we tried to eat them. The stacked up starter plates were left on the table after the waitress had delivered our main courses, which of course for my poor OH wasn't even a main! One of these things on their own, well OK, sometimes things go a bit wrong, but add them all together and it's not good. OH couldn't face waiting any longer for his proper main to be cooked, which would have meant keeping mine warm, or each of us eating alone, so he made a start on it, but left most of it. They did knock it off the bill when he complained, and took off the cost of the sweetcorn, plus another 10% off, but tbh it ruined the evening.

Wrote so much in the last post moaning about the meal that I forgot to say what I had! Starter was loaded potato skins (bacon and cheese) with salad and my main was steak, salad and potato wedges, plus about a third of a glass of cider!

Back