MWWWD (or Moonwatcher's Weight Watchers Diary!)

Well done for starting to count again. I haven't quite got that far but am planning to start tomorrow. I think just writing things down really does help as you can't hide from what you are eating that way. I dont think I have gone crazy with food over christmas but when I really really start to think about it there is all the tiny tastes of cheese or ham, the amaretto coffee, the single chocolate while walking past and that all adds up.

I'm quite surprised by the points in the supermarket chinese as well, that's not *too* bad really, was it nice? The dessert sounds lush, chocolate and cherries are one of my favourites. One of the things lurking around which is going to be most hard to resist is the yearly box of marks and spencers dark chocolate cherry brandies that my grandparents buy me every christmas. Mmmmm. I think they are only 47 calories per chocolate so one or two wouldn't be totally prohibitted but its the stopping at one or two that gets tricky isn't it??

When are you back at work? I was in on Monday and back tomorrow. Really not looking forward to going back to a 5 day week next week :(

I think you're right - it is the 'little things' that pile on the points - not necessarily the meals themselves.
The chinese was OK - the duck in plum sauce was very tasty, and so were the spring rolls (sometimes they can be a bit slimy, but these weren't), the chicken with spring onion and ginger was a bit bland IMO. Overall it was good, but not great. I find the sauces in these kind of supermarket dishes are often quite gloopy, but this wasn't so bad, which was a bonus.
My mum always used to get a box of cherry brandy liqueurs for Christmas - haven't had them for ages!

I'm lucky as I work in a high school, so not back to work until next week - we have a 'training' day on Monday, and the kids are back on Tuesday

Wednesday 2nd January

Had to take the cat to the Vet today as she couldn't eat or drink anything at all and kept rubbing at her mouth with her paws. OH is off work today as he's got my cough (much worse, naturally ;)) so that was handy as man-handling her into her cat basket is quite a dangerous activity. Luckily it was 'just' a bone stuck fast across the top of her mouth, from side to side, trapped against her teeth. The vet removed it and gave her an anti inflammatory jab, and she's as good as new now. Once we got back I realised that we'd had nothing to eat and it was 3.00 o'clock. So food today was..

'Lunch'
- one slice of bread tuna and sweetcorn sandwich, half a cheese and onion pasty, two mini sausage rolls and a teaspoon of Tracklement's hot garlic chutney (yummy stuff!) It was rather a random lunch as it was in part half of the OH's packed lunch which he didn't take to work! (13PP)

Dinner - cottage pie with carrots and peas, an apple (15PP)

Snack
- handful of hoisin duck crisps (3PP), two marshmallows (1PP?)

Drinks
- water, NAS squash, one brandy coffee with a splash of brandy (5PP)

Totals for today 37PP, 28 dailies and 9 weeklies

Happy new year xx

Sorry to hear about your cat but glad it was something relatively "simple" for the vet to sort. I am sure the brandy in the coffee was "medicinal" to combat all the cat-induced stress so the points for that don't really count do they???

But it looks like the total daily points used are definitely coming down while maintaining lots of yummy things that make me salivate :) I might have to look out that garlic relish... I bought OH some bacon jam as a jokey christmas present and was quite excited about trying it but I am sad to say it was a bit of a disappointment. Like branston pickle with bacon crisps crumbled in :(

Sorry to hear about your cat but glad it was something relatively "simple" for the vet to sort. I am sure the brandy in the coffee was "medicinal" to combat all the cat-induced stress so the points for that don't really count do they???

But it looks like the total daily points used are definitely coming down while maintaining lots of yummy things that make me salivate :) I might have to look out that garlic relish... I bought OH some bacon jam as a jokey christmas present and was quite excited about trying it but I am sad to say it was a bit of a disappointment. Like branston pickle with bacon crisps crumbled in :(

Purely medicinal of course! Not sure what excuse I can use for today's kahlua coffee though! :D
I know I will be a bit over on my weeklies this week, but I'm working on easing back into things ready for next week. Tracking the points this week has definitely worked on getting me back into the right frame of mind, even though I've gone over. OH was due back in to work after New Year, but because he's got this hideous cough now he hasn't been in since Monday, so our Christmas/New Year has sort of extended into the rest of this week too! I'm quite happy with how I've done though

Branston pickle and bacon crisps - hmmmm - doesn't sound like much of a culinary delight to be honest! The tracklements chutney is lovely - only problem is it says 'seasonal' on the label, so probably will only be out for a short time. I'm planning on having a look at the ingredients and seeing if I can find a recipe to re-create it.

Totally useless day today - so much for getting gradually back on track! Cannot shake off this cough and felling pretty rough with it again this morning so got up late. Had to go out to get petrol ready for next week, so we popped into the garden centre to get some chilli seeds and stopped in the coffee shop - one sausage roll, one cheese scone and butter and a pot of tea. Came home and still felt rough so went to bed for a lie down. Ended up later with fish and chips from the chippie and a few bits of chocolate. Not counted the points as I've had it all now anyway and will be starting afresh from tomorrow. Will weigh in in the morning to see what the Christmas damage is and will be back on proper tracking from tomorrow morning.

Totally useless day today - so much for getting gradually back on track! Cannot shake off this cough and felling pretty rough with it again this morning so got up late. Had to go out to get petrol ready for next week, so we popped into the garden centre to get some chilli seeds and stopped in the coffee shop - one sausage roll, one cheese scone and butter and a pot of tea. Came home and still felt rough so went to bed for a lie down. Ended up later with fish and chips from the chippie and a few bits of chocolate. Not counted the points as I've had it all now anyway and will be starting afresh from tomorrow. Will weigh in in the morning to see what the Christmas damage is and will be back on proper tracking from tomorrow morning.

Don't beat yourself up over it Hun, you are poorly and the Xmas period has only just ended, it's done now just concentrate on starting afresh tomorrow. Good luck for WI

If you are feeling really rotten its not the time to be harsh with yourself. Everything eaten may not have been what you had intended but its one day's food, just try and be positive about the next few days. There is always another day tomorrow.

Hope your cold finally ******* off soon! Its been rather stubborn hasn't it?

Thanks Nessa and Atomic. Yes, it's only one day after all and actually I feel really positive to be starting 'properly' from today. WI - hmmm well, the scales say 15st 2lbs this morning. That means that since just before Christmas I have gained 4lbs as I had just edged up to 14st 12lbs by the weekend before. Since the beginning of December I have gained 6 and a half pounds so it is really time to get to it now for this year.

I've just checked back to this time last year and I was 16st 7.5lbs so that is a total loss this calendar year of of 1st 5.5lbs. I am aiming for 3 - 4 stone off this year. Might sound a lot in comparison, but I was pretty dramatically de-railed last April and for a lot of the summer. I have decided that this is definitely going to be my year. 3 - 4 stone won't take me to target, but it will be well on the way there, so here I go... day one, week one of 2013...

Food for Saturday 5th January 2013

Breakfast -
2 Lidl crumpets, soft cheese and honey (7PP)

Lunch - homemade butternut squash and mexicana chilli cheese soup with one small slice from a bloomer loaf (6PP)

Dinner - Lamb massala kebab in WW pitta bread with large mixed salad and fry-lite roasted red pepper, tbspn LF mayo, fresh pineapple with a squirt of spray cream (10PP)

Snacks - one marshmallow and one Lidl's dark choc ring with candy sprinkles (1PP for the two?), one multipack packet of french fries (2PP)

Drinks - water, NAS squash, one cup of earl grey with a teeny splash of milk, one small kahlua coffee with cream (5PP) (OK, so haven't given up the liqueur coffee yet - but all counted in!)

The BNS and chilli cheese soup was absolutely divine! The lamb massala kebab is from the WW cookery book that minimins secret santa sent. We haven't had it yet but I dipped a finger into the marinade and it tasted very, very good! I used lime juice in the marinade instead of the lemon juice, and LF mayo with a little mint sauce, instead of the recommended 0% greek yogurt, which added one more PP on to make it 9PP. I am really looking forward to tucking into a plateful in a little while!

Totals for the day - 31PP, 28 dailies and 3 weeklies (haven't actually had the french fries yet, but they are planned for a bit later!)
Weeklies remaining - 46
APs - none today. Watch this space from Monday! (or maybe tomorrow if we both feel well enough for a long walk!)

Brilliant day there Moonwatcher! Everything sounds utterly utterly divine. Can I come for a fully catered holiday, please?? If you have time I would really like the recipe (however vague) for the BNS soup as that sounds very much my type of food :) Glad to see that the liquer coffee also featured. No reason they have to disappear completely as long as you are counting them. Because I am doing simply filling at the moment there isn't the same flexibility for things like that as there is with pro points so I have resisted my expresso amaretto so far but i can hear it calling me today...

Being pretty much a stone and a half down on this time last year is really positive. Especially if you had some hiccups along the way last year. It shows the long-term commitment and motivation to get back on plan when you have fallen off and that's what will determine getting to goal in the long term. You may not be where you want to be yet but don't underestimate how much of a difference losing all the weight you have will have made.

Brilliant day there Moonwatcher! Everything sounds utterly utterly divine. Can I come for a fully catered holiday, please?? If you have time I would really like the recipe (however vague) for the BNS soup as that sounds very much my type of food :) Glad to see that the liquer coffee also featured. No reason they have to disappear completely as long as you are counting them. Because I am doing simply filling at the moment there isn't the same flexibility for things like that as there is with pro points so I have resisted my expresso amaretto so far but i can hear it calling me today...

Being pretty much a stone and a half down on this time last year is really positive. Especially if you had some hiccups along the way last year. It shows the long-term commitment and motivation to get back on plan when you have fallen off and that's what will determine getting to goal in the long term. You may not be where you want to be yet but don't underestimate how much of a difference losing all the weight you have will have made.

You'd be welcome any time Atomic!

Yep - I'm in for the long haul. I have accepted that and am feeling pretty positive at the moment. Have had a lovely afternoon so far - watching old films on TV with the OH, whilst looking at potential recipes to try this week!

The BNS soup was something I made up, so you are spot on - the weights etc., of the ingredients are very vague! Here it is:

Butternut Squash and Chilli Cheese Soup, serves 2, 4PP per portion on PP, or 3PP per portion on SF

One onion - chopped
BNS - about 3/4 of a medium sized one, peeled and chopped into approx 1 inch square pieces
2 tspns olive oil
Sea salt
Several grinds of dried chilli and garlic flakes (optional)
2 oz Mexicana extra hot chilli cheese (or similar)

Olive oil, onion and a few grinds of sea salt into a saucepan and cook gently until the onion is beginning to soften. Add BNS and the chilli and garlic and cook on as low a heat as possible until BNS is at least beginning to get a bit browned at the edges, preferably also beginning to soften (you could roast the BNS squash first instead). Add enough water to just cover the veg and simmer for a while until BNS is nice and gooey. Blitz in the blender, or mash with potato masher (I blitzed mine as I fancied it smooth and thick). Grate the cheese and stir in over a low heat until it is melted. Enjoy!

It was absolutely divine and I will definitely make it again. I added the minimum amount of water to keep it very thick and full of flavour and it made two soup bowls - not massive bowls, but enough for a lunch bowlful. Next time I will use more BNS and make larger portions though!

Last edited:
Sunday 6th January

No walk today after all as weather really dull and misty and both of us still hacking with these coughs, so decided to stay indoors by the TV instead!

Breakfast
- one crumpet with butter (4PP)

Lunch/Dinner - turkey tournedos, cranberry sauce and purple and orange caramelised bubble and squeak! (mashed potato with carrots, caramelised onion and purple cabbage) fresh pineapple with a squirt of spray cream (11PP)

No third meal as I made the most of the last day of the holidays and got up very late.

Snacks - 4 marshmallows, 6 chocolate raisins, one caramel choc bar (similar to Mars bar) (11PP)

Drinks - water, NAS squash, one earl grey with splash of milk, one kahlua liqueur coffee (5PP)

Totals for the day - 31PP, 28 dailies and 3 weeklies
Weeklies remaining 43

Rather too many PPs on chocs and sweets, but it is the week-end, and I'm feeling pretty happy that I ignored the mixed nuts and raisins, salted peanuts, crisps, dates, turkish delight etc., that the OH was enjoying!

Last night's Lamb Massala Kebabs were lovely. The marinade was very tasty - they are definitely on the list to be made again.

Back to work/school tomorrow. It will be a staff training day, so lunch will be provided - usually lasagne or hunter's chicken and salad. The dessert is typically fruit pie or steamed pudding, but there is normally a fresh fruit salad option too. They also provide extremely tasty biscuits, so they will have to be avoided!

Last edited:
Sounds like a perfect Sunday!!
What are turkey tornadoes?!
Good luck with your first day back tomorrow, it's my first day back too alarm set for 6am :-( xx

Sounds like a perfect Sunday!!
What are turkey tornadoes?!
Good luck with your first day back tomorrow, it's my first day back too alarm set for 6am :-( xx

Yep- it's going to hit hard after a fortnight off! OH's alarm goes off at 5.00am, I try and get another hour and a half in before I get up though.

Turkey tournedos are sort of cylinder shaped - turkey breast rolled into shape, with a layer of sausagemeat stuffing on top and then a rasher of streaky bacon around it - to look like it is a parcel tied up with the bacon, if you can imagine that. I got a box of 12 ridiculously cheap from one of my visits to the Bernard Matthews shop.

The turkey things sound gorgeous!!!

Fab diary!! Xx

Thanks and welcome! Yes the turkey tournedos are really tasty - don't know if I'll be able to get any more at that price - might have a chance at making something similar when I run out though. They should be easy enough really - turkey, stuffing and bacon - simples!

Thanks and welcome! Yes the turkey tournedos are really tasty - don't know if I'll be able to get any more at that price - might have a chance at making something similar when I run out though. They should be easy enough really - turkey, stuffing and bacon - simples!

They do sound good!! Might of been a Xmas thing maybe? Xx

They do sound good!! Might of been a Xmas thing maybe? Xx

Yep, I got them a while ago, but then Bernard Matthews obviously do their frozen stuff well in advance. You had to buy a box - so I wondered if they were for the restaurant trade. We once got some braised turkey joints in a gorgeous sauce which were basically microwave or boil in the bag, which were definitely trade - I looked them up on the web and found them for sale in some restaurants!

Yep, I got them a while ago, but then Bernard Matthews obviously do their frozen stuff well in advance. You had to buy a box - so I wondered if they were for the restaurant trade. We once got some braised turkey joints in a gorgeous sauce which were basically microwave or boil in the bag, which were definitely trade - I looked them up on the web and found them for sale in some restaurants!

You are making me hungry!! All sounds delicious xxx

Back