My Atkins Diary.... here we go!

Hi Katie: i hope you have a great weekend!

I wish I could speak to the chef ... or should I say. I wish the chef would listen!.. I mentioned 'no carrots'.. etc etc.. but their response was "but you said meat and vegetables.. so I thought I would put many vegetables". (this is the same chef who sprinkled my salad with raisins, croutons and tiny strips of crunchy tortilla- even though I'd said just lettuce, olives, feta cheese and dressing- she thought she was being nice and creative for me and said my suggested salad was boring.. she doesn't make my salads anymore! eek).. they really don't get the Atkins diet.. I just have to find ways to figure it out myself

I"m sick this weekend.. just arrived back into Miami and I have a raging cold.. and to make matters even worse... my right knee gave out this week. I have a history of dislocated knee caps.. arthritis, mal tracking knee cap.. and now i have a build up of fluid on both knees that needs to be drained on Tuesday.. so NO GYM for me.. my personal trainer is gutted as he has some great workouts lined up for me and my new routine...

bummed out to say the least.. can hardly walk!..

Still the sun is shining.. and I"m doing the best I can!

Omg - hope you get better and feel better soon! Try to make the most of that sunshine :)

Oh so sorry to hear your knees are playing up, roll on Tuesday! But jealous to hear about the sunshine - we had a glimmer of lbue sky this morning then....rain...again :(

Do you have your own kitchen space? Maybe make up salads and chuck them in the fridge?

Raging headache since Saturday. I wonder if this is 'flu'?.. right through my temples.. OUCH..

Breakfast: two pots of sugar free Jello.. coffee with cream and two packets of Stevia
Lunch: Curried shrimp 'soup'.. (handful of small prawns/shrimps, sauteed with olive oil and curry powder until tender, added handful of chopped collard greens, then added two tablespoons of heavy/double cream and a knob of butter... the frozen shrimp let out a bit of water so there is some yummy liquid. I put it in a bowl and ate like a chunky soup.. LOVELY!..

Dinner: Scallops with cream mushroom sauce and collard greens with sesame oil.
Dessert: Sugar Free Jello with CREAM!.. yum

Hi Kizzie
Hope the headache goes soon. And your soup sounds super haha :)

It was YUMMY!!.. maybe there should be a SOUPER SOUPS thread! heheh..

My ground flaxseed arrived today. Um...?.. not sure what I did wrong but I couldn't mix the egg and butter into the dry ingredients and ended up with a hard lump sitting on top of dry flaxmeal.. I ate SOME of the lump.. but it wasn't what I was expecting.. I wonder what I did wrong? I guess I'll have to try another recipe ( I used the first one on the MiM's recipe)..

Hoping to get into ketosis SOON.. I've gained weight.. and I"m not harry the happy.. I'm guessing that yo yoing on this diet is really not good for the health..or the weight.. Maybe I should re-name my diary.. 'Diary of an Atkins yo yo ".. I wonder though how many other people lose weight -as I did- the first time around and find it really hard second time around to stick to it...

and I WILL keep getting back into it.. because I KNOW this is the one for me... quitting sugar and carbs for me, really is equal to cold turkey and getting off of addictive drugs.. easier for some than others. Eventually I'll get through it.. and come out the other side!.

**Having my knees drained tomorrow. I went to the gym tonight and did some upper body work tonight but I'm in pain.. and worried that my wonderful gym routine is going out of the window until my knees are healed!..

I've just seen a recipe for mashed cauliflower on twitter. Not for Atkins.. but we can add .. butter/cream/ cheese.. LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of adding fresh mint! YUMMO!...and I probably wouldn't add so much chicken stock... just enough to make it mushy!..
Going to try this tomorrow.. (Tuesday)

1 Head cauliflower, chopped
1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock
4 Tbsp. olive oil
Pinch of fresh mint, chopped ( optional)
Small amount of shredded or grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Bring cauliflower to a boil.
2. Lower temperature and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Drain completely.
4. Mash cauliflower in glass bowl. *I WOULD ADD BUTTER HERE! YUMMO
5. Blend in chicken stock.
6. Add a pinch of mint or grated cheese. (optional)
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Serve hot.

Take a look at the recipe thread in the stickies section, you'll find lots of uses for cauliflower - as cauli rice to go with curries, as the fake potato topping on shepherds pie etc. Cauli mash is a BIG Atkins staple - I actually hate mashed potato but like mashed cauli :) I haven't made mine with stock or mint, though. Let us know the verdict.

Morning Kizzie :)

Morning Jim!... thank you for always popping up and brightening my day!.. YOU ROCK SIR!

Hi Rosebug. I love using cauliflower as mash. I actually used to use it as mash even when I wasn't on Atkins. I am a HUGE mashed vegetable fan.. LOVE carrots and parsnips mashed too. (although no good on atkins induction!).. and love mashed broccoli too! ha..

I tried with mint and stock tonight.. and it's bloody LOVELY!.. give it a shot.. the mint is so refreshing and delicate. I ate it with steamed salmon and chopped greens. Really lovely and filling.

Thank you for your support!

I had my knees drained today.. OUCH.. and had a cortisone shot put into them too.. so hopefully I'll be on the mend soon and back at the gym!. I'll let you know!.

Morning Kizzie love. I didn't know you had a knee problem. Not good, sounds painful to me love

Yeah.. it's past 4am here in Miami and I'm awake and uncomfortable. I've had bad knees most of my life. .even when I was 7stone at 21 years old!.. weight doesn't help.. in my 'before' pics I have a walking stick to support my HUGE frame..poor knees. I"ve got arthritis in both. very little cartliage, bony spurs (osteophytes) mal tracking knee caps!.. and softening of the cartliage behind my knee cap!.. NICE!... I've dislocated my left one THREE times .. snapping the ACL (ligament that runs through the middle).. and my right one has the worst of the arthritis!.> BUGGERED JIM!...
Procedure was painful.. and I'm super uncomfortable tonight.. walking like a 90 year old woman with brittle bone disease.. -fearful of snapping something.. and going at super slo motion!!!.. NICE!!..

Apparently.. when I broke both of my ankles TWICE . I was told I'd have weak knees then hips.. just waiting on the hip pain to start!..

aside from that Jim.. GOOD MORNING TO YOU!! hah.. Have a great Hump Day as we say over here!.

That's such a shame that you have so many problems there Kizzie. I had a hip replacement some years ago, but I can still vividly remember the hip pain before I had the op love.

It's the constant 'ache' and slipping of my knee caps that drives me mad. I'm glad you got a replacement though Jim. You must feel so much freedom to move, exercise and LIVE as you want to. I"m too young for knee replacements.. and I do actually have a good range of motion still. My trainer wants me completely healed before he carries on training me.. but I've said this is NEVER going to happen with arthritis.. I have some great knee supports now.. so will get him doing his best with me on the rehab front.. a shame as I lost SOME weight with him in the first two months of training 3x a week.. and exercising 6 days a week twice..

It's degenerative so one day I will need replacements but for now.. if I can't bare it.. I can have an osteotomy and they'll realign my knee caps.. but not until I'm incapable of walking!.. keeping my fingers crossed the next few days sees relief after this procedure.. not holding my breath though.. we kind of know when there's something up with our bodies right?

thanks for your kindness Jim . :)

haven't slept a WINK tonight.. not even a minute.. my alarm is due to go off in a few minutes. I've had a bath.. done my laundry.. and NOW I'm getting sleepy... gggrr.. off to teach FIVE kids.. 3 years old.. 9 years old.. 9 years old.. 11 years old and 13 years old.. all at the same time from 9-4 !..just a little taste of my 'job'!...

maybe it will have to be MOVIE DAY!... he he

We study Media on Saturdays so I thought I'd make it a Wednesday special!..
so here's to reviewing Rex Harrison (we did Dr Doolittle last week) and introducing Audrey Hepburn..

we'll watch My Fair Lady.. they'll love it.. I can sleep!.. or sing along with my eyes closed..

Was supposed to be covering:
Maths:continuing with Pythagorus Theorem, Areas of triangles... and basic shapes for the three year old..
Literacy: punctuation, paragraph and essay structure.. drama and song ...
Science: Bones (co-incidental I assure you..we've done this topic for weeks)...
History: Finishing 'The Spanish Armada" ... even the three year old knows about old boats now and Elizabeth the 1st!..

My Fair lady it will be!.. then I'll take the afternoon OFF and go home!.. sounds like a plan. I'm already falling out of my arse!

6 days a week!.nobody knows my pain.. really they don't.. hehe.. Von Trapp! that's funny! I was told many years ago how the family loved the idea of lining the children up with a whistle..
my reply.. I am a teacher.. not Barbara Woodhouse.. (they didn't know who she was! lol)...

Back