My Personal Weight Loss Journey

Hey all, Thanks for popping by and cheering me on - makes a huge difference!

So, a full on week last week! Weds I had a funeral then 2 day wedding Friday and Sat. After discussing with my CDC, I decided I would have a meal on the Fri and Sat with the wedding.

Friday was beef, prawn and salad - I was amazed at how quickly I was full up. I also had a naughty little bit of pudding... Sat weigh in and BOOM, -6lbs! Taking my loss to 1st 7lbs! :)

Saturday's food was pork loin, salad and caramelised onions. Again, a little portion for me. I "drove" all weekend, so drank my body weight in sparkling water. It was a free bar all weekend, but I remained strong!

Feeling positive for the week ahead. Looking forward to seeing the next stone gone! :)

xx

Hey all, Thanks for popping by and cheering me on - makes a huge difference!

So, a full on week last week! Weds I had a funeral then 2 day wedding Friday and Sat. After discussing with my CDC, I decided I would have a meal on the Fri and Sat with the wedding.

Friday was beef, prawn and salad - I was amazed at how quickly I was full up. I also had a naughty little bit of pudding... Sat weigh in and BOOM, -6lbs! Taking my loss to 1st 7lbs! :)

Thats an amazing loss honey , i was home in Glasgow for the week end and am dreading weigh in on Wednesday lol xxx

Saturday's food was pork loin, salad and caramelised onions. Again, a little portion for me. I "drove" all weekend, so drank my body weight in sparkling water. It was a free bar all weekend, but I remained strong!

Feeling positive for the week ahead. Looking forward to seeing the next stone gone! :)

Well done , you done really good , keep it going , I too had a busy week end as i was home to Glasgow for a christening , im dreading my wednesday weigh in !!!! lolx

Thanks Arli for popping by! Feeling quite smug after weigh in, though today I'm feeling shaky and headachey - I think i'm heading back into ketosis after food at the weekend. Got to be a positive I guess - back to ketosis = more losses hopefully...only another 3 1/2 stone to go! lol.

Been reading up about the next steps - I like to be prepared... I've started logging again on my fitness pal in the hope I can get into a routine now before I have to start logging proper food. I can't believe how good you can feel on under 500 cals. This diet continues to make me think about my food habits and what I will do to break these moving forward...

xx

So, i've been reading other people's logs today. Nothing like a bit of nosing about for inspiration. I realised that a much better use of this log for me is to put down my musings and things I learn along the way - along with the usual weigh in info. This is MY log to look back on and allow me to see the changes.

Things I learned from the weekend (and my first meals)
- If it's not on your plate, you don't eat it. I didn't even look at the potatoes - I know these are off limits, and without them being on my plate, I wasn't tempted to have one.

- I am capable of leaving food. I started to feel full. But the food was really good...and I had some left. What to do? Well, usually - power through and feel dreadful afterwards. What I did? Had two more mouthfuls, then put my knife and fork together and stopped. (The worst part was that they were so slow clearing the plates that I had to wait with the plate for ages.) BUUUUT...It reminded me that I don't HAVE to keep eating. You don't HAVE to finish what's on your plate, and then - if you're full, and it's still there, YOU DON'T HAVE TO EAT IT JUST BECAUSE. "Just because is an old favourite...

- I am in charge of what I eat. Not anyone else. If I eat that extra chocolate bar, or go and get some pudding, I am only letting myself down. If it's not there, you can't have it.
On Day one of the wedding, I helped myself to pudding - a little of everything, ate it all and forced myself not to have seconds. On Day two of the wedding, I got up and helped myself to pudding - even though I told myself I wouldn't...I had two bites before deciding I didn't want or need it, and I was only eating to satisfy that little voice in my head. I pushed it aside and didn't touch it. I could have easily gorged, but guess what? I didn't NEED it.

So, lessons learned which will hopefully make my next foray into mealtimes easier. I am away with work in two weeks which will involve an evening meal. The rest, I can avoid. Then, that weekend, I am out for a curry with colleagues for a leaving do. Both occasions are being planned for. No starter, Main of protein and salad and no pudding - coffee if I want something... I know that this is possible for both occasions now, and I also know that a meal out does not mean a relapse into old eating habits. These events are one offs that give me a little break, but do not derail me from the plan.

Thinking ahead, I am hoping to stick on SS until the beginning of December. From then, Step 2 is the way forward, and with CDC, I will tackle Christmas as it comes nearer, but I think i'll probably have Christmas lunch as carb free as poss, but get back onto Step 2 from then...not filling the fridge with all the usual culprits...

Just had Pecan and maple porridge for lunch. Feel really full now!

xx

Hi Flic

I have just enjoyed reading your diary thread and the way you write reminds me of the the first ( and best) time I ever did cambridge.when in the "weight loss zone " I tend to be quite strict and committed,if I deviate....I deviate properly (if you know what I mean )
I did cambridge in 2010 and lost 4.5 stone....this changed my life forever! That's the only way I can describe it really.
I have always maintained at my lower weight (give or take a couple lbs after holidays/Xmas )which would be a few weeks back on plan to shift only... That was up until this year :( :( :( This year I have had a tough 12 months really and totally spun out of control and started eating like a pig .....I don't come up with excuses or blame ,bottom line is I just ate too much and have only myself to blame for relapsing.

Anyway,I have psyched myself up since June about getting back in "the weigh losing zone". I messed around in June/July and then really gave myself a good kick and eventually got going in mid august !
I looked at all diet options as wanted to try something new,thinking that a "new diet" is always a bit more exciting and I didn't want to be starving /feeling like crap for a week either.I had/have 3-3.25 stone to lose so felt whatever I decided on...I would have to be committed due to the length of time I would be on it.

Anyway it was a toss up between Atkins and dukan, and I chose dukan as I had heard great things about it and had the books.I found dukan a really alien type of diet being that I have always done cambridge.I found it easy peasy and was never hungry ......and do now wonder if I was eating enough! Anyway although it was easy,I found the weight loss to be much lower than I am used to and just kept thinking about "what I could have lost if I did cambridge". Anyway long story short I lost 10lbs in 3 weeks on dukan (a good and easy start to kick me off )and transferred back to cambridge 9 days ago. I did a ss+/810 last week and lost 4lb which I was pleased with,as I know all my water weight went weeks back and it's fat loss.Anyway I'm a stone down,have 2 stone to lose and am feeling great.I generally like to keep myself only in a minimal ketosis (+ketones) because like you ; I have the occasional event out whereby it's normally a protein meal and water/diet coke.

Because I have done it before (long and short spells) I know the plan inside out and find minimins VITAL to my success with it.
I'm a bit of a bore with shakes and tend to go for the same 6 shakes,3 bars and rice pudding.I'm not touching bars until I have been on for few weeks and quite happy without them at the moment.i drink the summer berry flavouring with about 70% of my water! I can't stand tap water, but if it is out of a filter jug I find that ok to drink. if you have not tried the mix a mousse....that works well with CERTAIN shakes only,it's a bit of a faff on but worth it if you want something different.
I'm eating a ss+ meal each day which keeps me "normal" at work.

Anyway Well done with your loss so far ! Onwards and upwards

purple

Sent from my iPad

Morning all,

Thanks Purple for your comment. I know exactly what you mean - after loosing the weight originally with Dukan, I tried a couple of times - badly - to restart and then decided on slimming world because I could still eat real food. I lost a stone in seven months and put it all back on again - SW may work as a maintenance thing, but as a weight loss plan, for me, it didn't - too much freedom.

I couldn't face Dukan again, and also, I knew that ultimately, it wouldn't help me with my biggest problem - portion sizes. With DD, you can eat AS MUCH AS YOU LIKE of the allowed foods. So I was still stuffing my face.

I chose Cambridge because it's as close as you can get to not eating - going cold turkey on the usual stuff. When I don't have a function or party, I am 100% - using the outings as a treat. It is only VERY special occasions (or ones I can't not eat at) that I treat myself to a meal. I've avoided meals when my friends came up from London, takeaway evenings with other friends, lovely home cooked meals by MIL...I am still feeling strong (I should be I guess - i'm only four weeks in!) I am as you say, "in the zone" and I need to stick here.

3 1/2 st to go and counting! :)

xx

I've been doing a lot of lurking today. Reading old maintenance posts, and getting scared of the number of "returners." I really want this to be my last time of loosing all this crazy weight. I really want to be one of the people who come back in a year after reaching target to say "yeah, I did it, and maintained!"

I've been lurking about reading food logs and diaries too. I might be getting a bit ahead of myself, but I don't want this to be it. I am very focussed on moving up the steps, on making sure that it's not just about the weight loss, it's about everything else too. Portion sizes. Attitude to food. Making the right choices.

I think I might go back to the gym next week. I've been putting it off for whatever reason - mostly because i'm worried that i'll collapse! (I always do the really intense classes. An hour of exercise, cardio and strength, three times a week and I can't cheat because people are watching me.) I'm going to speak to CDC about it on Saturday WI.

Sorry, rambling away...brain is tick, tick, ticking away and in a year, I can hopefully read this back and marvel at my self doubt...

xx

Hey,

Don't worry yourself too much about maintenance. A lot of people who come back never moved up the steps. They went SS all the way, got to goal or near to goal, and then thought that because they were slim they now couldn't put on any weight when eating cr*p.
Just make sure you follow steps and you'll be fine. You'll always need to watch what you eat and exercise but that's a given to anyone who hasn't got a fast metabolism.
I lost over 3 and a half stone and I have maintained it in the last 5 months. I'm only back as I want to get down to 10 and i'm impatient to really wait. Not because I piled the weight back on.
So keep focused and keep going!

V x

Thanks Viita,

That's really nice to hear, and it helps me to think about what happens in the future...I really want this to be it.

Now, let me tell you about last night (and the night before.) So, i've always been obsessed with food - cooking, programs etc. but it now seems I am some sort of veritable masterchef! Tuesday night, I made incredible Mediterranean veg cous cous with chicken, halloumi, salad, houmous and pitta breads for OH and my brother. It looked INCREDIBLE, but I didn't touch it... Then last night, I made homemade pesto which i topped a pizza base with, including cured meats, mozzarella, olives and sundried tomatoes. It looked soooooooooo good. I literally sat and watched OH eat it and then he left 1/4 as he was going out to a meeting. This was like TORTURE, let me tell you. He said he would eat it when he got back but was back too late so it was still looking at me this morning. My willpower remains unwavering, but it's interesting looking at OH's eating habits. I would have demolished the pizza first off, or if not, no matter how late, I would have gone back for the slice, or eaten it first thing in the morning.

My CDC thinks he will be really good for my journey because if he's full he just STOPS EATING. Weird for me since my whole family eat until we feel sick, just because it's on our plates...

Anyway, rambling over. I didn't eat anything bar my CWP products. Went to bed at 9pm so that I didn't have to look at the pizza anymore! Haha.

Hope you're all having good days.

xx

Ha ha FlicG, I am the same as you - portion sizes are a real downfall and OH eating habits are an eye opener

Well done with your progress so far. You seem really focused so I'm sure you'll get there

x

Good work! Just keep focused and don't waiver.

I honestly find this diet really quiet easy however the main thing is you NEED to be focused. Otherwise it won't work.
I just think long term this isn't forever so I just keep pushing.
I was on CD for a majority of time & recently switched to slim n save as I really don't need a councilor and having it delivered to my house is easier.
Also they have AMAZING variety and on their SS alternative I can eat 4 packets a day, skimmed milk and sugar free jelly and only eat 600 calories.

Glad you are still kicking ass though! Keep going! xx

Hi all! thanks for the boost - really helps!

Viita - I looked at Exante and slim and save, but the CDC is great to keep me on track - I find it quite useful to discuss what's going on with me too.

xx

Eek, having to reschedule my usual Sat morning appointment. I'm entering the baking competitions for our local ploughing match, and my timings of dropping everything off and seeing my CDC clash.

I've got 10 baking competitions to enter, OH is going to have to do some trying of them, as not a morsel is going past my lips!

xx

Today's Phrase: Mindful Eating

So, this isn't an unknown thing, but I just wanted to post a little about it and my thoughts...

As I mentioned, I have a tonne of baking to do this weekend. I started last night and got going with it. Baking makes you think a lot about picking and mindful eating - cases in point:
1 - licking the bowl. I have a REALLY good spatula for this job now. I chuck it in the sink then which is filled with soapy water - nobody wants to eat bubbles of fairy!
2 - trimming off the excess. Again, usually the baker's perk. Something which I gave to the dog last night!
3 - Tasting the icing - got to make sure it's ok...and then lick the bowl too. Nope, not needed.
4 - when baking individual things, like scones for example, the last one is always the "baker's" because it's been rolled out a couple of times. The dogs LOVE cheese scones (they are Labradors so eat anything. Infact, Von has become my kitchen assistant!) Or, I chuck it straight in the bin/composting.
5 - To check a cake is done, stick a skewer in. Then if there's any mix on the skewer, that's what I get to have! I washed it away yesterday.
5 - When portioning, it is easy to have the "offcuts" or the rubbish bits. Bin or OH. Not for me.
These are ALL things I have done/used to do. Sometimes, if I was alone in the evening, I would make a mini cake JUST TO EAT MYSELF. Madness. It's this mindfulness and focus which meant I didn't have ANY of these "perks" when baking last night. I got straight to it and whilst I was waiting, cleaned the hob off and did the washing up. I sipped my fizzy water and not a morsel of cake was eaten! :)

Number two mindfulness: Preparing sandwiches for guests at work.
So, the sandwiches are bought in, so essentially, I just have to cut them and put them onto platters along with crisps etc. This is another opportunity for picking...
1 - having a sneaky sandwich whilst nobody is watching. They'll not count them up, so you can easily sneak a bit/half and NOBODY will know. Nobody except you. You're not dieting for other people, you're doing this FOR YOU. So you only cheat yourself.
2 - A bit of filling that falls out is fair game, right. Wrong. The bosses dog had a bit of prawn and a bit of beef that usually, I would munch.
3 - Putting crisps into a bowl means that usually, I could eat a couple of them and again, nobody knows. Not this time!
4 - There's ALWAYS leftovers. I can share them out after i've taken what I wanted, and eaten it whilst loading the dishwasher. That way, nobody sees and it didn't happen.
5 - Bits on the sandwich platter that have fallen out. Mmm, ham hock and bits of lettuce are tasty, but I don't need to eat them, do I?
6 - Bowl of crisps. Middle of the office. I can have a crisp EVERY TIME I WALK PAST. Nope. Do not need these.

The same goes I guess when preparing lunch at home. Aside from picking as i'm preparing, I am the cook, so I get to pick which meal/portion size I have. Invariably, I will pick the one with the bigger portion, because I get to make the choice, piling my plate up with food which is most definitely far too big a portion, and then munching through it quickly, rather than savouring the meal and leaving it when i'm full. Then, if OH hasn't finished his, I can take the plates back into the kitchen and have a dishwasher treat again, because that bigger portion wasn't enough. Now clearly, if OH didn't finish, the portion size was too big...so i'm eating a bigger portion to start, and then finishing his...portion control is one of my big problems I am going to combat with this diet.

So, mindful eating. Learning what my body is trying to tell me. Which is WHY I STOPPED EATING at the wedding meal at the weekend when I was full.

Things I need to remind myself of:
You don't have to clear your plate to show appreciation of your food.
I don't have to rush my meal - it's not a race.
If I only have a little portion, then I have to SAVOUR every mouthful, every taste, and listen to my body if i'm too full - not put more on my plate to get more taste.
If I "cheat" with the portion size, I am only cheating myself.
To eat mindfully is to enjoy eating, rather than picking and ultimately just eating for the sake of it and eat because it's there.
Once mealtime's over - THAT'S IT. You're NOT hungry, just bored. Have a glass of water instead.

These are all things I need to start doing once I start moving through the steps...but important to be thinking about it already for me.

Again, long massively rambling post, but i'm sure there's some of you that can relate to parts of this (well I hope anyway that i'm not alone!) It's all of these "bits" which add up and up and up which is why i'm here in the first place!

xx

Morning ALL!

Well, Sat weigh in again. 1pm weigh in rather than my usual 9.30am. Ate a little yoghurt bar to keep me going and had a glass of water, but didn't want too much as I didn't want the scales to be too different...must have worked because my weigh in was...

13st 9lb! Another 5lb off! :)

Had a nice weekend - busy evening friday with baking. Saturday was the show - 3 firsts, 2 seconds and 2 thirds overall - and then yesterday I spent 5 hours cleaning the kitchen and larder out - felt super productive! Its amazing how when i'm busy, even if i'm surrounded by food, I'm just not bothered by it. Loving ketosis!

Also, had a discussion with CDC about target weight. Have decided to set a preliminary target of 11st 7lb, with a view to reassess when I get to there, and probably going another 1/2st down - using 11st 7lb as my upper limit, and 11st as my target. Feeling confident about getting to that point now - almost 2st down now! :)

Hope you all had a good weekend?

xx

Hey Viita,

I'm on plain old SS. I think what helped my losses were my little meals last weekend (one on Friday, one on Saturday.) I think they gave me a little boost! I'll probably be back to 2/3lb loss next weekend!

xx

Back