My spangly low carb odyssey

I think few people say calories aren't important at all - I know one low carb guru who says that but his diet is a version of a fat fast as its true that when your fat levels are around 80 percent you can eat a ton. At the 60 percent level you need to keep an eye on calories but not as stringently as calorie counters. I had trouble losing at 1200 calories when calorie counting - and was constantly hungry - but can eat 1500 a day, sometimes higher, sometimes lower, on low carb and lose 2lb in a week, which by strict calorie counting rules shouldn't be possible. It's metabolizing fat that changes the calories in - calories out formula.

It also is important not to overeat protein - Atkins is a moderate protein diet and fat should at least double the protein intake. Too much protein can also be converted to glucose. Fat is really the satiety element.

In the end though it's important to do what's right for you. Paleo looks a great place to maintain to me - technically stricter than Atkins maintenance. Eventually, should I get there, I'll probably maintain on a version of paleo myself.

I forgot how lovely it is to wake up each morning having stuck to plan the day before, KNOWING that my weight is going in the right direction. What a relief! Haven't weighed again yet but will do in a few days' time. Amazing how the old behaviours around food were so entrenched that they came back eventually - once my weight had got to a certain 'sod it' point for me mentally I mean. I can maintain well as long as I don't go beyond three or four pounds. I was hoping for a bigger window of flexibility for maintenance but I've learned that just doesn't work for me. I need to nip any gains in the bud in future, right away.

Think something is affecting ketosis. Either that or I've just got serious mind games going on. had major cravings all day. Have been able to resist, which is good. It could be my breath spray (!) as I've discovered it has sodium citrate in it :-(

Other than that I've been 100%, so the cravings/hunger don't make sense! Anyway. Another day done and another day closer to goal!

Am really proud of myself for resisting the cravings yesterday. I even went as far as to open the cupboard and look for the (insert name of low carb item here). But I didn't actually do it! I didn't eat any! Yay!

Might weigh again today as it's over a week since I last did...

I was on a vlcd for a few months and definitely had cravings! For things I don't even like, like sausages and pâté. Toward the end of the diet I think they were my body's way of telling me it needed more, but early on it was mostly my mind playing tricks. The worst was I used to dream about eating pizzas or huge bars of choc and wake up feeling guilty!

Sounds like you are well on track;) and agree that maintenance needs to be the one that works for you. Unfortunately we will never be able to totally relax and eat anything :sigh:

Well yesterday was an accident waiting to happen. I was seeing an old friend and her family, who are down for the weekend from Scotland.. I realise as I get older that social things make me anxious. Unless its one of a very select handful of people, I get anxious. Weird, eh? But it's who I am. I wasn't like this as a child - was quite gregarious in fact. Anyway.

So I get anxious around this friend. She can be quite negative and judgemental at times (a relic of the 'old' me before LL and CBT is that I realise I've tolerated a lot of critical parent behaviour from friends over the years, but now tend to pick people up on it very quickly and make healthier relationships as a result) but I've never called her on it (not yet, anyway. 25 years - but prob worth having the conversation at some point.) Anyway she was lovely yesterday. Which was fab. But suggested we go to a farmers market - which I love (we're both foodies). Anyway. We had a lovely afternoon, both families together. But I spent too much money and ate far far too much and lots of carbs.

Felt horrible when I got home. Bloated, hiccuppy (!!) and down. And oh man! The sugar cravings!!!!! OMG!!

Anyway. Draw a line. Ok I used carbs for fun/social entertainment - which was ok at the time but made me feel pants. Physically, not just mentally, but real physical discomfort! Time to think up a new approach for next time. And back on the packs. I hope it doesn't take me a whole week to get back in ketosis. What a lemon.

Last edited:
Not feeling too bad so far today, considering. I did coffee at church and wasn't even tempted by the biscuits. Made lunch for the family - didn't even want to pick at grated cheese. Hurrah! I think I'm really so determined - I'm not going to let yesterday take me too far off course. I'm hoping that because we did a LOT of walking yesterday the damage won't be too bad, glycogen-wise.

Anyway, I'll keep drinking the water and see it as a lesson learned!

Ah, the long slog back into ketosis. What a numpty, eh?! aaaaagh

Surviving, and sticking to it. Keep reminding myself it will get a wee bit easier soon. Would like to weigh myself at the end of the week and see the numbers going in the right direction!

Last edited:
Got brave and stood on the scales this morning and VERY happy! :D I've lost another 5.5 lb!!! 11.5lb altogether! Come on, stone!! I can do this!! Almost back in the 'normal' bracket!!

I've got one goal in mind, which is my next lupus appointment at the end of October. It's far enough away that it feels achievable - and at this rate as long as I stick with it I will get there. I've agreed to go out for dinner with my Mum on 5th October though which is worrying me, because last time I ended up having some bread with my meal and then feeling rubbish afterwards. I don't want to cancel her though as I've cancelled her before because I was on packs and it just feels a bit selfish of me when she lives alone.

Writing this I'm thinking there must be something low carb on the menu - and I can always get them to swap something for green veg if need be. I can do this, surely?

Really happy today - which is fab, given that I'm due on and usually a misery at this time of the month. Ketosis high maybe?! Anyway, whatever it is I'm not complaining as it's helping me to be positive and productive at work, which is always a good thing. Tomorrow I'm working from the London office, which is great, because instead of leaving the house by 6:30am I don't have to get the train until 7:40! Yay!

I like your Boots weight tickets, gettingfit. I don't know if I'm brave enough to do that, but it's a great way of holding yourself accountable and making your progress real. Might give it a go if I'm feeling brave next week.

Excited about the possibility of getting back to goal again. I really think it's doable. I didn't let Saturday de-rail me at all, which I'm quite proud about.

Well done staying focused! Hope the energy sticks:)

Got some crooked thinking going on (in old LL speak). Because of pmt got the whole 'just one won't hurt' thing going on. I am going to stay strong! Will go to bed soon to make sure I've got another 100% day under my belt!

Well. Good and bad. Succumbed eventually to some teaspoons of peanut butter and cashew butter. Am not getting too cross with myself though. It would have been better to head up to bed but I wanted to finish my tv programme and didn't want to go upstairs as I knew I'd be pestered by my husband and was tired!!

So. Of the things I could have had, not bad choices. And compared to what I've sometimes eaten with pmt as an excuse, really good in fact!

Thanks for the encouragement. Much appreciated!

I think I'll weigh myself again on Monday. Had a good week at work, one way and another, but very glad it's the weekend. Nice to have some down time.

Our new dog has gone on holiday for a couple of days with a local dog trainer as he's beautifully behaved in every single way, really obedient and well trained, except when he sees another dog!! This is making walks challenging, to say the least. She reckons spending three days with her dogs will help him. He's going to an obedience class tomorrow as well. The house feels empty without him!

Off to church in a bit as we have an open weekend and I'm helping show people round for an hour. It will be nice as my mum put herself on the rota at the same time so we'll be able to have a catch up!

Another 3lb gone! BMI 24.9! One stone gone! Woooohooooooo! (am bit happy)

Hey spangly one! Long time no see honey!! :)

Glad to see you're doing well, nipping it in the bud eh? I'm just back to see what's happening really... On exante for a bit of a refresher after just getting back from 2 weeks in Canada, eating pretty much everything I wanted! Lol... Was fun but back on the straight & narrow before it gets out if hand! ;)

Anyway, I'll be watching your final progress but seems you're doing fine! Catch up soon hunny pie...

Pinks xx

Hi, pinkie! Good to see you!

I have to say I'm really pleased with my stone and am giving myself a BIG pat on the back for not letting any minor wobbles get in the way. I'm quite excited about the idea of getting back to goal. This time round it seems real.

I remember my LLC saying to me she thought it took a long time for the mind to catch up with the body after losing loads of weight quickly on LL. I suppose in some ways my brain thinks it's 'normal' for me to be 13+ stone, as that's where I've been for most of my adult life. Takes a long time to unlearn old behaviours.

Been reading a really interesting book, 'Wheat Belly', by William Davis MD. would highly recommend! All about how modern strains of wheat are causing obesity... He talks about exactly the kinds of addictive behaviour I experience as soon as I have 'just one' of whatever (digestive biscuit, glass of Chardonnay, slice of toast). Really interesting and makes a lot of sense. These foods/drinks just don't work for me. I need to remember that!!

Back