Green Day My Year in Soups

Yum - think I need to try the creamed corn one after all the rave reviews! Thanks for all the recipes and keep going!! X

I like soup. Love butternut squash & carrot soup. I don`t peel the squash or the carrots. I just top and tail & deseed.
When I reheat a portion I put some curry powder or chilli in it then.

I was wondering if I could just cut up apple and simmer it with the above for a different flavour or should I roast it all first?
What do you think Patchwork Puss, do you reckon it would work.?

Looking forward to trying some of your soups. Great thread.:)

Thanks for the tips on not bothering with the peeling. Peeling a butternut squash can be a bit of body magic lol! The squash and apple soup above just added the apple to the pan for the last bit of simmering so give it a go and let us know :)

Would you use butternut squash instead of pumpkin? We don't see pumpkin.

Yep, I tend to just use butternut squash for most things as its the most readily available and it works well. Spaghetti squash is an interesting one if you can ever find that :)

Yum - think I need to try the creamed corn one after all the rave reviews! Thanks for all the recipes and keep going!! X

Hope you enjoy it, it's definitely worth trying. I think the interesting time will be summer when you're less inclined to have soups but fingers crossed we get to the year end :)

WEEK 13

Carrot, sweet potato and ginger soup

Free on Green and Extra Easy

1 medium onion, diced
2 tbsp finely minced fresh ginger root (or use Dorot cubes like I did)
3 big carrots, peeled and cubed
1 big sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1L vegetable stock
1 tbsp ground coriander
Salt and black pepper to taste
Chili flakes, to taste (optional)
2 garlic cloves, finely grated

Saute the onion in frylight olive oil or berio spray (0.5 syns for 7 squirts) on medium heat until translucent.
Add ginger and cook for 30 seconds
Add carrots and sweet potato and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring.
Add stock (and more water if needed to cover the veggies) and bring to a boil.
Once boiling, lower the heat, add coriander, and chili flakes (if using) and simmer until carrots and potato are tender.
Blend and season to taste then add grated garlic and stir before serving

I bought three bags of frozen, diced sweet potato in Farmfoods for £2 the other week. I wasn't that impressed with them roasted but it works perfectly in soups. I must admit i'm not the greatest fan of ginger and rarely use it but it does work well in giving a warming winter soup. One other thing you might like to try is adding some coconut milk to give it an extra creamy and slightly asian taste. I'm planning on doing a thai curry for dinner tomorrow and in the interests of 'waste no want not' I'll use the leftover coconut milk in the remains of the soup. Will report back tomorrow on how is tastes!

ETA Okay I added 100mls reduced fat coconut milk to the remaining two portions and it tastes even better now. I use the morrisons one, it comes in a 200ml sachet and its pretty low syn at only 3 syns per 100ml. Well worth it and highly recommended!

Next time .... garden minestrone :)

Last edited:
Subscribing - will be making the corn & sweet potato one next week when I've eaten my way through the mammoth batch of veggie soup I made this weekend xx

Thanks for the tips on not bothering with the peeling. Peeling a butternut squash can be a bit of body magic lol! The squash and apple soup above just added the apple to the pan for the last bit of simmering so give it a go and let us know :)

Will do Patchworkpuss. Your name reminds me of that pink & white cat that used to be on the TV when my kids were little

Will do Patchworkpuss. Your name reminds me of that pink & white cat that used to be on the TV when my kids were little

Bagpuss :)

My goodness I turn 70 this year and don`t know how many times I have watched those programmes. With grandchildren from the ages of 23 to the youngest of 5. and I still could not remember the name. x

WEEK 12

Moroccan spiced pumpkin and butterbean soup

1kg wedge of cooking pumpkin (about 750g peeled weight), peeled and diced
1 banana shallot (or 3 regular ones), peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
sea salt and black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground turmeric
500–600ml hot stock
2 x 400g tins butter beans, rinsed and drained
bunch of flat leaf parsley, chopped
bunch of coriander, chopped
4 tbsp natural or Greek yoghurt, to serve

Saute the pumpkin, shallot, garlic and some seasoning in frylight for around 10 minutes.
Add the spices and stir over the heat for another couple of minutes.
Pour in the stock to cover the pumpkin and bring to a simmer.
Cook for 10 minutes, then remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly. While still hot, purée the mixture in a blender until smooth and creamy.
Return the purée to the pan and bring to a simmer. Tip in the butter beans and chopped herbs. Place over a medium heat for 2–3 minutes until the beans are hot. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Ladle the soup into warm bowls and add a spoonful of yoghurt.

Been feeling rather guilty about the tins of butterbeans sitting in my cupboard and found the perfect use for them :)

Courtesy of Gordon Ramsay
Gordon Ramsay's moroccan spiced pumpkin and butter bean soup recipe - goodtoknow

I'm making this now! :) will report back.

I only had a taste because its for my lunches, but omg another gorgeous soup! I'm loving this thread :) Thanks.

WEEK 14

Spicy sweet potato, vegetable and rice soup

Okay I know I said it would be garden minestrone next, and trust me its on the way, but I decided I wasn't willing to pay Mr Tesco £1 for a teeny, totty butternut squash! This recipe caught my eye and seeing how I still have a couple of bags of frozen sweet potato to get through it seemed ideal.

I won't give the detail of the recipe as its from the blog of someone who used to post on here regularly. Instead I'll just give a link to the website

Spicy Sweet Potato, Vegetable and Rice Soup | Slimming Eats - Slimming World Recipes

If you like the sweet potato and creamed corn soup then you'll love this one too. The smell of garlic and smoked paprika wafting around the kitchen was amazing! I'd recommend using the smoked in place of ordinary paprika and the only other slight amendment I might make is on the chilli front. I used 2 dorot cubes and it was a bit much for my taste so I'll try 1 or 1½ next time round. Enjoy your soup!

Last edited:
lol I'm ok I don't do lumpy soups! I only eat blended ones that keep well for 4 days :) cannot believe I missed my lunch today, I'll have my soup later for supper :)

Back