New to Fast Diet

Discussion in '5:2 Fasting' started by smallmole, 7 March 2014 Social URL.

1. smallmole

smallmole Active Member

Hello - I'm new to the 5.2 diet - I haven't even finished the book yet but I know a few people who swear by it and the health benefits look really good so I thought I'd give it a try.
    Any tips for someone just starting out? I've never counted calories before - I've lots to learn!

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

Register a free account with MiniMins and join in the conversation!
  3. Rachgleeson

Rachgleeson Well-Known Member

Welcome and good luck. I am only on my third week so might not be the best for giving tips yet lol. I will say that I save my calorie allowance for evening as once I start eating I just seem to feel hungrier.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using MiniMins.com mobile app

4. smallmole

smallmole Active Member

Well I'm on my third fast today and I'm thrilled with how it's going. The fasts are manageable, I drink much more water than usual and go to bed earlier - all good habits! I've lost five pounds so far and I feel much more in control. The hardest part is working out the calories of the evening meal! Similar to you, I find it easier to eat later so that's what I'm doing. Any easy meal suggestions would be welcome.

5. Rachgleeson

I mainly just stick to vegetable stir fry or vegetable omelette. It's easy but tasty.

5lb is fantastic. Well done! !

6. smallmole

smallmole Active Member

Good idea. I need to do some forward planning, I think. I'm really pleased with the 5lbs but I know it won't stay that way - I'm hoping for a 1lb loss a week - does that sound right to you?

7. Rachgleeson

1lb a week is what a doctor will say so it definitely sounds right :) some weeks you may have more and some less. When are you fasting again?

8. Chameleon Man

Chameleon Man Member

Veg Stir fry - just watch the oil. Oyster Sauce is lowish in cals and adds flavour. Prawns and Chicken breast are good additions. Chinese 5 spice powder also adds flavour. I spice mine up with very hot Thai chilli sauce.

I tend to bulk out meals with lots of Salad with a little lo-cal dressing, or home made Thai style dressing.

The Hairy Dieters books are great - both for fast days and normal eating. All the main portions are less than 500 cals. Their chicken curries freeze well and can be easily portioned. I eat mine with mashed cauliflower, which is very low in calories. Also, frozen is fine if you're mashing it up.