Extra Easy Orlistat & Extra Easy

jenny19888

Hi Guys, I have been doing extra easy since June this year and have lost 2 stone 5 lb. My doctor has suggested Orlistat tablets. He said he thinks I could benefit from them as I am already doing a low fat diet.
I haven't attempted them over Xmas as I have heard their are some horrible consequences if you have high amounts of fat whilst taking them.
I was just wondering if anyone else has combined slimming world with Orlistat? And have you had good results?
I am very sceptical about taking them and I am just looking for any feedback on them.

Thanks Jenny xx

*Emsie* said:
Sw is such a low fat diet I don't feel there is any point taking them personally.

Unless SW is a completely fat free diet then there's every point in taking them, lol. :)

I'd visit the Orlistat forum if I were you, people on there are doing all sorts of different diets (calorie counting for me!). xx

Hi Hun

I had no idea what this was so googled it for you.

After reading the information below, i dont think it would be something i would dare try out myself lol. Sounds a little scary.

It might be worth chccking out the Orlistat forum on here for some help and advice on it though.
Whatever you decide to do good luck hun. xxxx

[h=4]Orlistat[/h]Orlistat works by blocking the action of a protein used to digest fat. The undigested fat is not absorbed into your body, and is passed out with your faeces (stools).
Orlistat will stop around one third of the fat from the food you eat from being digested.
This will help you avoid gaining weight, but it will not necessarily cause you to lose weight. So it is still important to stick to your recommended diet and exercise plan.
One orlistat capsule is taken with each main meal (a maximum of three capsules a day). You can take the capsule either before, during, or up to one hour after each meal.
If you miss a meal, or the meal does not contain any fat, you may not need to take the orlistat capsule. Your GP should explain this to you, or you can check the patient information leaflet that comes with your medication.
You have to have made significant effort to lose weight through diet, exercise or changing your lifestyle before taking orlistat. Even then, orlistat is only prescribed if you are on a low calorie diet and you have:

• a body mass index (BMI) of 28 or more, and other conditions related to weight, such as high blood pressure (hypertension), or
  • a BMI of 30 or more
Treatment with orlistat must be combined with a low fat diet and other weight loss strategies, such as doing more exercise. If you are prescribed orlistat, you will also be offered advice and support about diet, exercise and making lifestyle changes.
Treatment with orlistat should only continue beyond three months if you have lost 5% of your body weight. Orlistat usually starts to affect how you digest fat within 1-2 days. If orlistat has not worked after three months, it is unlikely to be an effective treatment for you.
If you have type 2 diabetes (a condition caused by too much glucose in the blood), it may take you longer to lose weight using orlistat. Your target weight loss after three months may therefore be slightly lower.
If orlistat is successful after three months, your prescription may be continued for up to a year. After that, your GP will review your condition and decide whether you should continue with orlistat or not.
Side effects of orlistat include:

Side effects are much less likely if you stick to a low fat diet.
Women taking an oral contraceptive pill are advised to use an additional method of contraception, such as a condom, if they experience severe diarrhoea while taking orlistat.
This is because if you have diarrhoea, your contraceptive pill may not be absorbed by your body, and so may not be effective.
Orlistat is not suitable for pregnant or breastfeeding women.

MrsWilsoncroft said:
Hi Hun

I had no idea what this was so googled it for you.

After reading the information below, i dont think it would be something i would dare try out myself lol. Sounds a little scary.

It might be worth chccking out the Orlistat forum on here for some help and advice on it though.
Whatever you decide to do good luck hun. xxxx

[h=4]Orlistat[/h]Orlistat works by blocking the action of a protein used to digest fat. The undigested fat is not absorbed into your body, and is passed out with your faeces (stools).
Orlistat will stop around one third of the fat from the food you eat from being digested.
This will help you avoid gaining weight, but it will not necessarily cause you to lose weight. So it is still important to stick to your recommended diet and exercise plan.
One orlistat capsule is taken with each main meal (a maximum of three capsules a day). You can take the capsule either before, during, or up to one hour after each meal.
If you miss a meal, or the meal does not contain any fat, you may not need to take the orlistat capsule. Your GP should explain this to you, or you can check the patient information leaflet that comes with your medication.
You have to have made significant effort to lose weight through diet, exercise or changing your lifestyle before taking orlistat. Even then, orlistat is only prescribed if you are on a low calorie diet and you have:

[*]a body mass index (BMI) of 28 or more, and other conditions related to weight, such as high blood pressure (hypertension), or
[*]a BMI of 30 or more

Treatment with orlistat must be combined with a low fat diet and other weight loss strategies, such as doing more exercise. If you are prescribed orlistat, you will also be offered advice and support about diet, exercise and making lifestyle changes.
Treatment with orlistat should only continue beyond three months if you have lost 5% of your body weight. Orlistat usually starts to affect how you digest fat within 1-2 days. If orlistat has not worked after three months, it is unlikely to be an effective treatment for you.
If you have type 2 diabetes (a condition caused by too much glucose in the blood), it may take you longer to lose weight using orlistat. Your target weight loss after three months may therefore be slightly lower.
If orlistat is successful after three months, your prescription may be continued for up to a year. After that, your GP will review your condition and decide whether you should continue with orlistat or not.
Side effects of orlistat include:

[*]fatty or oily stools
[*]needing the toilet urgently
[*]passing stools more frequently
[*]oily discharge from your rectum (you may have oily spots on your underwear)
[*]flatulence (wind)
[*]stomach pain
[*]headaches
[*]upper respiratory tract infections, such as a cold or sore throat

Side effects are much less likely if you stick to a low fat diet.
Women taking an oral contraceptive pill are advised to use an additional method of contraception, such as a condom, if they experience severe diarrhoea while taking orlistat.
This is because if you have diarrhoea, your contraceptive pill may not be absorbed by your body, and so may not be effective.
Orlistat is not suitable for pregnant or breastfeeding women.

Hiya! I've been on Orlistat for the last year and have lost 7.5 stone so far, combined with calorie counting. It's the only weight loss drug available on the NHS, and it's not at all scary, lol. It just helps keep you focused really, as it essentially forces you to eat low fat. :) Your advice to visit the Orlistat forum is very sound, they're a good bunch. xx

Whatever floats your boat I guess lol.
Personally Id rather stick to low fat foods than have oil stains in my knickers lol!
I have tried a few diets in the past myself and its about finding something that is right for you and your lifestyle.

If this will work then go for it.
I'd check out the Orlistat forum hun if i was you for some "hands on" experience on it. xxx

MrsWilsoncroft said:
Whatever floats your boat I guess lol.
Personally Id rather stick to low fat foods than have oil stains in my knickers lol!
I have tried a few diets in the past myself and its about finding something that is right for you and your lifestyle.

If this will work then go for it.
I'd check out the Orlistat forum hun if i was you for some "hands on" experience on it. xxx

That's kind of the whole point, lol. If you eat low fat you don't get any of those side effects. xx

That's kind of the whole point, lol. If you eat low fat you don't get any of those side effects. xx

So if you eat low fat and following a good diet then why would you need to take these tablets?

Last edited:
MrsWilsoncroft said:
So if you eat low fat and following a good diet then why would you need to take these tablets?

You could say the same about any diet, couldn't you? Why would anyone pay a commercial organisation like WW or SW if they're capable of eating low fat and healthy by themselves? It's just a tool. Otlistat is really meant to be an aid to someone who has a large amount of weight to lose, like me, as I needed to lose at least 10 stone. You certainly need to be in the obese range before you can be prescribed them, and show that you can lose weight by yourself first. As long as there's some fat in your diet (up to 5%), they're meant to help. As you say, whatever floats your boat - I'd never join a club but it works for some people. Let's face it, the statistic is that 95% of people who lose weight using ANY method will just put it back on anyway, so it's just a matter of finding one that'll put you into that elusive 5%, lol. After 30 years, this is the one that's worked best for me. :) xx

You could say the same about any diet, couldn't you? Why would anyone pay a commercial organisation like WW or SW if they're capable of eating low fat and healthy by themselves? It's just a tool. Otlistat is really meant to be an aid to someone who has a large amount of weight to lose, like me, as I needed to lose at least 10 stone. You certainly need to be in the obese range before you can be prescribed them, and show that you can lose weight by yourself first. As long as there's some fat in your diet (up to 5%), they're meant to help. As you say, whatever floats your boat - I'd never join a club but it works for some people. Let's face it, the statistic is that 95% of people who lose weight using ANY method will just put it back on anyway, so it's just a matter of finding one that'll put you into that elusive 5%, lol. After 30 years, this is the one that's worked best for me. :) xx

I understand where you are coming from but what I dont understand is why anyone would want to take tablets like these if they can risk having such awful side effects.

People pay to go to WW, SW AND RC etc because they want the support of a class, consultant, the online use of the website and access to foods/books that you can only get in class. But also for some it helps keep you on track if you know you have to go to a class to get weighed.
I know not everyone will agree with me but its just whether you have the will power to do it on your own or not.
I have done both from home and been to a class and i enjoy both but i do like the support of my consultant, members and the extras you get as a paying member too.

Anyway back to the original topic, if the OP wants to know more about Slimming World and Orlistat then i would recommend checking out these links for more information.....

Love Stacey xxx

Orlistat (Xenical)

Slimming World

Lol, I'm not disagreeing with you, just enjoying the debate. :) The thing with Orlistat is that there are rules to follow, and yes, if you break those rules you may get a bit of a stomach upset, but if you follow them you'll get no problems and, in theory, you'll lose weight just a little bit faster. I was offered them by my GP, and my opinion was that they couldn't hurt, which they haven't, so I kept taking them. xx

jenny19888 said:
Hi Guys, I have been doing extra easy since June this year and have lost 2 stone 5 lb. My doctor has suggested Orlistat tablets. He said he thinks I could benefit from them as I am already doing a low fat diet.
I haven't attempted them over Xmas as I have heard their are some horrible consequences if you have high amounts of fat whilst taking them.
I was just wondering if anyone else has combined slimming world with Orlistat? And have you had good results?
I am very sceptical about taking them and I am just looking for any feedback on them.

Thanks Jenny xx

Hi, Jenny, there's a member on here called Mizkirsty who is doing SW and Orlistat - not the only one, I daresay, but you may want to look her up. xx

If youre sticking ok to SW and eating a low fat diet as part of that then youre not really going to benefit from Orlistat. Orlistat is brilliant for keeping you on the straight and narrow if youre starting off, the fear of the side effects is a great deterrent to eating things you shouldnt. If youre eating healthily already though and low fat the chances are theres not going to be anything for it to work with. Its probably not going to increase your weight loss if youre already in the swing of things with SW

When I got it years ago it was when I was starting WW, it was great initially but as I got into the way of the diet my doctor stopped because he said there was basically nothing for it to work with

Ultimately its your choice but I wouldnt bother if youre happy with SW :)

Hiya! I've been on Orlistat for the last year and have lost 7.5 stone so far, combined with calorie counting. It's the only weight loss drug available on the NHS, and it's not at all scary, lol. It just helps keep you focused really, as it essentially forces you to eat low fat. :) Your advice to visit the Orlistat forum is very sound, they're a good bunch. xx[/QUOTE]

Thank u Tracy, and well done! You have done so well! Will definitely look at the Orlistat forum too. Thank again xx

If youre sticking ok to SW and eating a low fat diet as part of that then youre not really going to benefit from Orlistat. Orlistat is brilliant for keeping you on the straight and narrow if youre starting off, the fear of the side effects is a great deterrent to eating things you shouldnt. If youre eating healthily already though and low fat the chances are theres not going to be anything for it to work with. Its probably not going to increase your weight loss if youre already in the swing of things with SW

When I got it years ago it was when I was starting WW, it was great initially but as I got into the way of the diet my doctor stopped because he said there was basically nothing for it to work with

Ultimately its your choice but I wouldnt bother if youre happy with SW :)

I am happy, and I have done well so far on SW alone, but it's like you said starlight, it's a good way to keep you on the straight and narrow. The doctor said if I'm following it correctly as in low fat which SW is then he said I won't even know that I am taking the pills. Think I'm gonna give them ago I have nothing to lose and hopefully I can be as successful as Tracy :) xxx

jenny19888 said:
I am happy, and I have done well so far on SW alone, but it's like you said starlight, it's a good way to keep you on the straight and narrow. The doctor said if I'm following it correctly as in low fat which SW is then he said I won't even know that I am taking the pills. Think I'm gonna give them ago I have nothing to lose and hopefully I can be as successful as Tracy :) xxx

That's right - you won't know you're taking them, and they can't do you any harm. What they will do is help you stay focused, and speed up your losses a bit as there's always going to be some fat in your diet for them to work with, unless you're living on lettuce - it doesn't matter if it's low fat because that's how you're meant to eat when you're taking them. And thanks for your kind comments, I'm very pleased with the way things are going. :)

Hope to see you on the Orlistat forum - there do seem to be quite a few who are combining it with SW, as well as every other type of eating, because it is an add-on to a healthy diet, not a replacement for one.

All the best. xx

That's right - you won't know you're taking them, and they can't do you any harm. What they will do is help you stay focused, and speed up your losses a bit as there's always going to be some fat in your diet for them to work with, unless you're living on lettuce - it doesn't matter if it's low fat because that's how you're meant to eat when you're taking them. And thanks for your kind comments, I'm very pleased with the way things are going. :)

Hope to see you on the Orlistat forum - there do seem to be quite a few who are combining it with SW, as well as every other type of eating, because it is an add-on to a healthy diet, not a replacement for one.

All the best. xx

Thank u. Yeah they can't do any harm. Especially as its off the Dr and on the Drs recommendation. Iv got nothing to lose (except lbs hopefully lol)
Where is the Orlistat forum? Is it on here? I would like to have a nose at it :) xxx

I never seem to get an answer when I ask this question so I will ask it here and see what answer I get.

How do you know it's the drug that is helping you lose weight and not just the change in diet?

Not that I would ever bother with them as I think it's all to do with what you eat and motivation gets you to where you want to be.:)

It probly is the change in diet but its like we mentioned earlier these pills will help you keep on the straight & narrow because youl be scared of the consequences lol. Either way I have nothing to lose, iv been losing anyway for 6 months so nothing will change with regards to my diet, so wel just see what happens, my Dr seems to think that slimming world and Orlistat combined can achieve good results. Il just have to see :) xxx

Back