Paul McKenna's Hypnotic Gastric Band

Hi! I'm a sw girl too, but as you can see from my profile, I've been stuck for years! This has been a revelation for me. Same as you guys, I've been obsessed with food for years, what I'm eating, when I'm eating it and how much I can stuff in!
Mr McKenna has changed all that for me - and everyday I thank him for it - I was such a food bore!
But SW will have taught you some good habits that you can carry forward. Home cooking your meals, using fry light, drinking diet drinks and plenty of water, getting some body magic in, - its all good stuff.
Wishing you luck, anytime you feel like you're slipping, read your book, listen to your cd and follow the golden rules.
Best xxx
Have to say that I did SW too - but some of the things you point to as "healthy habits" really aren't - it's more damn good marketing. Children There are lots of reports about diet drinks being bad for your health. Type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis and funnily enough obesity are amongst the primary side effects.
Steps off soap box before I start on fry light.

Gate crashing I admit but am with you. I'm on SW at the moment (Paul Mck book didn't work for me at all) but don't have diet drinks at allot fry light. I just use my syns on oil instead :)

On the topic of diet drinks... I did infact used to drink at least 2-3 litres of diet pepsi every single day, and i stopped completely the day I began my new regime.. I was totally addicted, and needed it.. but now I dont miss it at all.. and I seriously think drinking the amount i did contributed to my weight gain.. xxx

Have to say that I did SW too - but some of the things you point to as "healthy habits" really aren't - it's more damn good marketing. Children There are lots of reports about diet drinks being bad for your health. Type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis and funnily enough obesity are amongst the primary side effects.
Steps off soap box before I start on fry light.

Only trying to help..........! Feel suitably told off! I lost 3 stone on SW and got stuck for years, hence the HGB and 'I can make you slim'. Well - I'm a size 10-12 now, just over 10 stone, BMI of 24, have run 10ks for charity - so I must have done something right somewhere along the line........xxx

SW does educate you to make healthy choices. But people need to exercise common sense.. When SW say "free foods are unlimited" it doesn't ACTUALLY mean "unlimited" because they say eat until you're full.

People just take what they want to read and then when they dont lose weight they blame the plan. It's not the plan that isn't working, it's people not following the plan..

Anyway- I too am following SW and have fitted in the hypnotic gastric band on Friday- I can definitely see a difference :) I was coming to a stage in my weight loss where I was beginning to lose very little so I needed something to give me a boost.

Can't wait for WI on Tuesday.

Well done Roziee! That's the same sort of result I had first off - brilliant isn't it?! You're right about the SW free food, but it's only since fitting the HGB and listening to the ICMYT trance that I've realised it! It's funny what you learn a long the way. Definately feel (now) that's why I got stuck.
Good luck to us all and thanks again to Missmiff for posting so well and inspiring me to give it a try xxx

Well done Roziee! That's the same sort of result I had first off - brilliant isn't it?! You're right about the SW free food, but it's only since fitting the HGB and listening to the ICMYT trance that I've realised it! It's funny what you learn a long the way. Definately feel (now) that's why I got stuck.
Good luck to us all and thanks again to Missmiff for posting so well and inspiring me to give it a try xxx

Thank you. I'd be happy with that amount of weight loss every week hehe

Well done ladies.. It's my weigh in tomorrow, and I'm feeling positive... Upped my Zumba to 40 mins.. My hips are feeling it, I just hope the scales feel it less!... Keep going girls! Xxxx

I listen to it about once a month.. I know when I am in need of it when I walk down the crisp aisle in Tescos, and have visions of me throwing myself into the family packs and munching through the packaging to get to the crisps beneath!

Hi miss miff

I've just read this entire thread and am amazed at your success, well done! I've got a Ton of weight to lose and am so depressed about things that it makes me eat even more. I managed to lose 7 stone for my wedding but a honeymoon and 2 kids later and 4.5 stone has gone back on.

I'm really interested in trying a hypnotherapy plan, even considering sitting in a therapists chair and spending a fortune. I'm desperate to have real surgery but my husband won't let me because of the risks.

Feel like I'm forever trying new diets and thinking "this is it" and then failing, yet again....in scared it won't work and I will be a failure again. I love my food and look forward to an evening meal. And I'm a real picker with my food.

Hoping I will have the same success as you xx

Hi miss miff

I've just read this entire thread and am amazed at your success, well done! I've got a Ton of weight to lose and am so depressed about things that it makes me eat even more. I managed to lose 7 stone for my wedding but a honeymoon and 2 kids later and 4.5 stone has gone back on.

I'm really interested in trying a hypnotherapy plan, even considering sitting in a therapists chair and spending a fortune. I'm desperate to have real surgery but my husband won't let me because of the risks.

Feel like I'm forever trying new diets and thinking "this is it" and then failing, yet again....in scared it won't work and I will be a failure again. I love my food and look forward to an evening meal. And I'm a real picker with my food.

Hoping I will have the same success as you xx

Best of luck Nat..

id tried everything too..and I was always a big girl, still am in actual fact.. I am just over a stone away from being half way to where i want to be....So from that you can tell how large I probably was.

paul McKenna has taught me a new respect for food, in ways the other diets didn't for me. Please don't think I'm knocking other regimes, as they do work for others but not me.

i too wanted the real surgery, but a school friend died from having it done, and it completely put me off.

you really do need to listen up to your body... I had to find out what hunger felt like to begin with, as I was positive I'd never felt it.. But give it a try, it doesn't cost the earth, and it may just be your thing.

Let us all know how you're getting in too...xxxxx

Hi everyone

Firstly thanks for this thread, it gave me the faith I needed go out and buy this, I have high hopes

I sat down on Monday night and listened to the cd (both parts) with my headphones in but I was very aware all the way though, I just couldn’t get relaxed then right at the end my landline rang and disturbed me, grrr

So I sat down and had my tea at the dining room table, I chewed every mouthful 20 times (sometimes more) and didn’t have any distractions, after a while I started to think I was getting full, my other half who is also doing this with me said the same and decided she’d had enough, I had a few more bites and declared myself full

About a hour later I started to feel really hungry, like I hadn’t eaten enough at all but I though it would pass and just had some water, it didn’t pass so I had a slice of toast and ate that, felt satisfied but then half an hour later hungry again

So I though maybe it hasn’t worked for me, so yesterday after work I got home laid down on the sofa and listened to it again, this time on speakers to see if that helped, this time I felt much more relaxed and even managed to drift off a little bit in parts but was still very aware of everything he was saying, I woke up feeling much more positive about it and then had my tea

I stopped half was through and defiantly felt like I was full and that feeling stayed for a few hours so that was fine

My problem is today, I had toast for breakfast and that didn’t seem to fill me, then had a sandwich and crisps for my lunch, I felt just about full after that but now I'm obsessing about food again counting down the hours until my tea

Has it not worked? Am I doing something wrong? As far as I know I'm following it to the letter, can anyone help?

Last edited:
Hi everyone

Firstly thanks for this thread, it gave me the faith I needed go out and buy this, I have high hopes

I sat down on Monday night and listened to the cd (both parts) with my headphones in but I was very aware all the way though, I just couldn’t get relaxed then right at the end my landline rang and disturbed me, grrr

So I sat down and had my tea at the dining room table, I chewed every mouthful 20 times (sometimes more) and didn’t have any distractions, after a while I started to think I was getting full, my other half who is also doing this with me said the same and decided she’d had enough, I had a few more bites and declared myself full

About a hour later I started to feel really hungry, like I hadn’t eaten enough at all but I though it would pass and just had some water, it didn’t pass so I had a slice of toast and ate that, felt satisfied but then half an hour later hungry again

So I though maybe it hasn’t worked for me, so yesterday after work I got home laid down on the sofa and listened to it again, this time on speakers to see if that helped, this time I felt much more relaxed and even managed to drift off a little bit in parts but was still very aware of everything he was saying, I woke up feeling much more positive about it and then had my tea

I stopped half was through and defiantly felt like I was full and that feeling stayed for a few hours so that was fine

My problem is today, I had toast for breakfast and that didn’t seem to fill me, then had a sandwich and crisps for my lunch, I felt just about full after that but now I'm obsessing about food again counting down the hours until my tea

Has it not worked? Am I doing something wrong? As far as I know I'm following it to the letter, can anyone help?
I'm using "I can make you thin" to keep me focused as I'm a stone off my target - rather than the gastric band but I did try a different version a few years ago and had no success. One thing that I have found - I do badly on any diet that involves a lot of refined carbs. I am carb addicted and still binge if I loose focus - so for me that means no toast, no crisps (although I have one pack a week), no pasta, no cakes with flour or sugar (but there are lots of alternatives), very little potato.
I know the idea is that you can eat what you like - but I had to re educate myself as to what I like, to succeed. At the beginning I could never have imagined giving up pasta, toast and garlic bread - now I genuinely do not want to eat pasta or garlic bread and treat myself to toast now and again (but this can trigger a binge day!)
Maybe you need to rethink your food strategy?
Another thing - you say you have high hopes - I never lost an ounce for as long as I "hoped" I would. I had to commit and focus to it 100% and then some, even when I didn't see the results I wanted straight away I had to believe I'd chosen a plan that would work for me. Not blind faith - just faith and a good strategy. Until you reach that tipping point where you have more pain staying the way you are than from changing - you will just see saw - and nothing will ever truly work

Last edited:
Decided to give this a go having put on 7lb in 3 weeks after coming off a vlcd. I've read the book and watched the havening DVD. Rather annoying that the instructions for havening are different in both. Also found that it made no difference to me what so ever but maybe that's because at the moment I'm about as chilled as I get anyway. Will listen to the pre-op later on and then the op tonight at bed time. Fingers crossed tomorrow I'll have some good results.

I'm going to try and stick to the golden rules today. I can do pretty much all of them except eating without doing anything else. Find that really difficult because when I've tried in the past its just made me eat faster because I want to get on with stuff. When I eat with a tv program or something on I can often eat so slowly my foods cold halfway through the plate so I have time to feel full. Will see how it goes anyway.

I'm going to try this for a week to see what my loss is like and then consider adding in 5:2 as well.

Hi, can I join in too?
I'm usually just a lurker on these forums, but thought I might actually get somewhere this time if I joined in!

I tried the Easyloss Virtual Gastric Band App a little while back and lost a stone, but once I 'd got to the 'op' part it just didn't seem to work for me anymore, so I started with the Paul McKenna 'I Can Make You Thin' App on Tuesday night and its going great so far :)

I have alot to lose. I've dieted on and off for years with limited success - I did Slimming World about 5 years back and lost 3 stone but over the last few years managed to put all of it back on. I'm hopeful that Paul McKenna will work for me if I keep listening to it and following the guidelines - it really does make sense and it also feels great loosing the 'diet mentality' - Slimming World, Weight Watchers and Calorie Counting all just make me try and eat as much as I possibly could within my allowance so I'd gotten into the habit of eating when I wasn't really hungry just because I had syns, points or calories left over.

I'm going to try not to weigh myself for a couple of weeks to start off with as I usually get caught in the trap of weighing everyday and then getting disheartened with daily weight fluctutions and then giving up!

Just wanted to say good luck to all of those who are giving this a go. And please, for your own sakes, really give it a good go - and if it works - you've cracked it (hopefully for good)!
Early days, I had to read the book and 'fit' the band a few times. Maybe 3 times in the first week and then once a week from then on. I'm now down to once a monthish, with extra top ups if I'm losing the plot! I also find it useful (and very relaxing) listening to the ' I can make you thin' trance on my iPhone app in bed - it's actually not that dissimilar, but maybe a bit more 'self appraising' and 'feel good'. I have never used the 'Havening' technique - as I didn't feel I needed the extra support.
It is important that you follow the Golden Rules. I find the eating with no distraction hard too! But I now have tv in the background, look at my plate and try and savour every mouthful.
I feel that I have an advantage as I don't have much to lose and so I'm going with it, rather than putting all my faith into it. I also followed Slimming World previously and so got into good food habits. So I always cook from scratch, don't eat anything high in fat, everything is wholemeal and I eat veg, fruit and salads. However, Paul says eat what you want, and I do, but as someone else says, what I want has been changed over the years by following red and greens!
The results for me have been brilliant - I was stuck in a weight rut for 6 years - and this has given me an almighty boost. And my attitude and outlook is a lot more positive.
I'm hoping that you all get the same ( or better) results as me!
Good Luck xxxx

Whooopppppiieeee...

9lb off for me this week.. Just the boost i needed!

It really helps taking stock, and going back to basics!

I managed to achieve 4 goals this week!

1.. Losing my 100lb... (now lost 103lb)
2.. Losing my 7 stone.. (now lost 7 stone 4lb)
3..Dropping into the next stone..
4..Dropping a dress size!

Ohhh and finally..number 5.... Ive only gone and got myself a neck!

Go Paul McKenna!!!! Woop Woop!

Back