Pickled's food diary

Good morning systema.

This is where we're going: :character00255:
Pinar de Campoverde - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We're off a fortnight Friday and I can't wait for some sunny weather that lasts...

I'm going to try not to eat anything too naughty, :eat: though the wine might be the bigger problem.. :party0036:We'll see how it goes.
My mantra - I must remember 1st September, I must remember 1st September, I must remember 1st September... lolz

xxx

Wednesday 25th July

Brunch - bacon, potatoes, egg, beans, mushrooms and tomato
Mid afternoon snack - 1 cupcake (1 syn) and an apple
Dinner - Very hot and spicy Peanut curry (4.5 syns), rice and a hoooodge side salad.
Supper snack - 3 cupcakes (only 3 syns as OH got the last cakie), an apple

Total syns for the day = 8.5

Realised last night I've been forgetting to write them there HE's..
HeA was milk (as always)
HeB was I didn't have one :(

It's been a good day, bit of this and bit of that. Got a two week menu plan sorted now so that should make things easier, at least I know what to take out of the freezer! Salmon tomoz, one of my faves... I also found a syn free fish batter recipe today so I'm going to try that next week.
I will lose this weight, even if today I have felt bigger than ever...

Last edited:
Thursday 26th July

Off to town today, there might be some challenges to overcome at lunchtime :rolleyes:

Breakfast (yay): ML yoggit, banana and a plum
Lunch: All I can say is that is exactly what flexible syns are for!! I enjoyed it (a 6" Spicy Italian subbie). :argh:
Actually, I've been beating myself up all afternoon for having eaten it. At least I have avoided eating more rubbish (so far...)!
Midafternoon: An apple
Dinner: Salmon, oven roasted potatoes and veg (carrots, onions and mushrooms), griddled courgettes and baby tomatoes. Glass of NAS squash :)
Supper: an apple, a plum, ML yoggit and 35g bran flakes.

HeA - that'll be the milk in me tea then
HeB - bran flakes
Total syns for the day = prolly about 25...

No cakies left so won't be nomming on them... Might have to make cherry bakewell muffins later though - not because I want to mind, but because there is a cherry yoggit which will die if I don't. So you see it's out of the kindness of my heart I do it, not because I'm a greedy cow!!!

Didn't make the cakes, feeling like I do I probably would have eaten all of them.
Let's close the book on today and start afresh tomoz...

Last edited:
Hi Pickled Tink just found and read your diary ..your menus are fab and thanks for sharing your recipes.well done on your weight loss so far. would you mind shaing the recipe for the forloren hare please it sound lovely and can I ask ...could you use ryvita instead of scan bran for the cherry bakewell as I don't attend a class and can''t get it ...keep up the good work n I know what you mean with the wine I just can't stop at 1 glass either lol x

Hi Pickled Tink just found and read your diary ..your menus are fab and thanks for sharing your recipes.well done on your weight loss so far. would you mind shaing the recipe for the forloren hare please it sound lovely and can I ask ...could you use ryvita instead of scan bran for the cherry bakewell as I don't attend a class and can''t get it ...keep up the good work n I know what you mean with the wine I just can't stop at 1 glass either lol x

Hi Jem..

I'm gonna try the cherry bakewell with just 28g of flour next time, like with the chocolate orange cupcakes. If you would like ScanBran though, I found them at £1.14 per pack (and I bought 10 packs) via an online shop - here's the link:
GG Scandinavian Bran Crispbread (1 x 100g)
If you don't mind waiting a couple of days for them delivery is free, it was for me anyhows...

And now to the forloren hare (mock hare). Please bear in mind that everything is a guestimate with me, I don't measure much if it's not synned..
500g extra lean beef mince
1 egg
1 onion
3 tspns ground ginger
1 tspn chilli powder
Freshly ground pepper
lean back bacon

Chop the onion very finely, in a processor if you have one. I have this little magic gadget I came home with that chops them so finely it almost turns to juice - this is good!
Add the spices and seasoning to the onion and beat the egg into this to make a nice, sloppy mix.
Empty the beef into the bowl and mix/beat/knead until it is well amalgamated. It should be a bit like pastry, in that it should clump into a ball and leave the sides of the bowl pretty clean.
Plop it into a shallow ovenproof dish (a lasagne dish is good, it's what I use) and shape it into a loaf. Cover with the lean bacon.

Cook at 220C for 15 minutes to get the bacon going, then reduce temp to 180C for a further 40 minutes.
Leave to rest for approx 10 minutes before slicing.

This is just as good cold, for picnics, lunchboxes, cubing with salad etc...

Hope you like it :) xx

thanks so much for that Tink will be trying that out very soon ......as for the scan bran will also look that up as soon as I have finished on here ..ty again x

Hi Jem..

I'm gonna try the cherry bakewell with just 28g of flour next time, like with the chocolate orange cupcakes. If you would like ScanBran though, I found them at £1.14 per pack (and I bought 10 packs) via an online shop - here's the link:
GG Scandinavian Bran Crispbread (1 x 100g)
If you don't mind waiting a couple of days for them delivery is free, it was for me anyhows...

And now to the forloren hare (mock hare). Please bear in mind that everything is a guestimate with me, I don't measure much if it's not synned..
500g extra lean beef mince
1 egg
1 onion
3 tspns ground ginger
1 tspn chilli powder
Freshly ground pepper
lean back bacon

Chop the onion very finely, in a processor if you have one. I have this little magic gadget I came home with that chops them so finely it almost turns to juice - this is good!
Add the spices and seasoning to the onion and beat the egg into this to make a nice, sloppy mix.
Empty the beef into the bowl and mix/beat/knead until it is well amalgamated. It should be a bit like pastry, in that it should clump into a ball and leave the sides of the bowl pretty clean.
Plop it into a shallow ovenproof dish (a lasagne dish is good, it's what I use) and shape it into a loaf. Cover with the lean bacon.

Cook at 220C for 15 minutes to get the bacon going, then reduce temp to 180C for a further 40 minutes.
Leave to rest for approx 10 minutes before slicing.

This is just as good cold, for picnics, lunchboxes, cubing with salad etc...

Hope you like it :) xx

Spill the beans on the magic gadget - I love gadgets :woohoo: I do.

lol - we're so much alike!!!

It's called a moulinex illico, but I dunno if it's still available, mine must be at least 15 years old (and I still put it away in the box every time - wot a freak!!!)

Somehow this forum makes me divulge all my secrets... lol

Hope you finds one... xx

I have a similar Kenwood one which I inherited from my mother which still lives in its own box!!! It is so handy and there is not much of it to wash up :)

Friday 27th July

It's my lil sister's gazillionth wedding anniversary today...

Breakfast (YAY): ML yoggit, grapes, apple, plum
Lunch: Potatoes, egg, baked beans, toast and salad. 1 level tbspn marmelade (2 syns)
Dinner: Pasta slop.. (just 3 syns per portion and it tastes soooooooooo much better than it sounds, I promise) lolz and a big side salad.
Snack-i-poos: Cheese straws (0.5 syns), chilli cheese straws (1.5 syns)

HeA - milk
HeB - bread
Total syns for the day = 7

Limpix in a bit - mite have to have a glass of wine or two while I'm watching - I'll be extra good tomorrow, I promise :)

I have attached a picture of the pasta slop, just so you can see what it looks like...

Attachments

• IMG_0674.JPG
    IMG_0674.JPG
    302.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Bit miffed at the moment - just come back from Hospital and they weighed and measured me for the first time in years and I have lost 1 and half inches in height which has moved my BMI up to just over 27 :eek::eek: Now have lots more weight to lose than I thought - will have to give the Success Express a go when I get home.

I made some 'cheese straws' today... I like cakes and all, but my tooth is savoury rather than sweet so if I've any chance of sticking to this for life, I need to have some 'not so naughty' snack recipes on hand.

Plain old cheese and mustard straws came out at 1.5 syns for the batch.
The chilli cheese ones are 4.5 syns for the batch - and very spicy. Nomnomnom...

For the cheese and mustard ones I used a packet of instant mash, 1 tspn of mustard powder, 1 tbspn parmesan (it was all I had left so they weren't as cheesy as I would have liked), 1 grated onion, a little salt and two eggs. I mixed the dry ingredients, added the grated onion then 1 egg, mashed it about a bit then mixed in the last egg dribble by dribble (the mixture mustn't be too wet). Then when it was like pastry, I rolled it between two sheets of greaseproof paper, cut it into strips (re-rolling as necessary) then used the last of the egg to egg wash them. I slapped them in the oven at 180C-200C for 12-15 mins.
For the chilli cheese sticks I used a packet of instant mash,3 tbspns parmesan (sent OH to shop), 1 grated onion, 1 minced chilli, a little salt and two eggs. I made the straws in exactly the same way...

The first pic is the cheese and mustard jobbies, the second is the chilli ones...

These would be yummy dipped in syn free alioli (if I had any left), along with some celery sticks and some grapes.....

Attachments

• IMG_0670.JPG
    IMG_0670.JPG
    305.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0679.JPG
    IMG_0679.JPG
    288.4 KB · Views: 45
Saturday 29th July

Out on the bike all day so lots of temptations!!!

Breakfast: ML yoggit, 2 apples and a nectarine
Lunch: Pasta slop (3 syns) (yes, we took a pack up and sat and ate it on a grassy embankment outside Squires Cafe, a notorious biker's gathering place in Sherburn In Elmet), an apple
Dinner: Chicken flied lice - packed full of superfree veggies)

HeA - milk
HeB - errr
Total syns for the day = 3

What a good girl I've been! Now for a glass of red to celebrate!!!

Last edited:
Those cheese straws look amazing!!!!! Some people are so inventive, I think I'm going to have to start looking at ingredients a bit differently so I can start getting the best out of what I have whilst staying within the rules. Also, that pasta looks pretty delicious for something called slop :) enjoy your wine!!

Those cheese straws look amazing!!!!! Some people are so inventive, I think I'm going to have to start looking at ingredients a bit differently so I can start getting the best out of what I have whilst staying within the rules. Also, that pasta looks pretty delicious for something called slop :) enjoy your wine!!

Hahaha Aston.. It was my step-daughter who christened it 'slop', because she loves it so much!! She always cleans her plate when we have it, and she can be a fussy eater. Teenagers are the weirdest things in the world, I'm glad I'm not one!!

Sunday 29th July

Breakfast - big bowl of fruit, 35g branflakes and a WW yoggit.
Early dinner - roast duck, potatoes, carrots, mange tout, cabbage and gravy (0.5 syn cos marmalade in it),
dessert was cherry bakewell and custard (Scanbran cake & vanilla yoggit) (1 syn)
Supper - more cherry cake and some wine

HeA - milk
HeB - branflakes
Total syns for the day = 15

Got me ms.araballs, tummy hurts, feel knackered and drained :(

Bottom... WI, back to being a slowcoach, only .4 lb off this week.

I suppose it's better than putting it on, but 1st September isn't far away and I so don't want to have to resort to stupid stupid starvie diets that mess up both my head and my metabolism. HELP!!!

Back