Pocket Money

jaylou

Gold Member
Hi all,
Another one for those who have kids. Do you give your children pocket money? Do you expect them to work for it and how much do they get?

My daughter is 12 and gets £20 a month. She does have to buy her own "nice things" eg make up, hair stuff, magazines and phone credit though and I do expect her to contribute to friend's birthday presents too.

I often wonder if this is too much?
Thoughts please? :D

The's only a fiver a week. Think I used to get that when I was younger, but had to do chores for it. Then when I was 14 my mum told me to get a weekend job and I stopped getting pocket money.

My kids arn't old enough for pocket money yet, however when i was younger i got £5 a week pocket money but if was naughty didn't get anything! but I also had choice earn more if I washed pots, done hoovering etc. It's tough to say now though as even though thats alot of money to us everything else is getting more expensive by the day! I brought my children a childrens magazine as had something free which there into and collect and I was seriously shocked by the price.

Yep, magazines are expensive and things like Top of the Pops change the price depending on what "free" gift is on it that month!!
She manages okay on it but I just wonder when, and if, it needs to go up and she can't have a job for a couple of years (I think).

I think my sister gives her kids their age per week in pocket money so it goes up each year e.g if they were 7 years old they got £7 per week if yuo see what I mean.

I believe they do small jobs in the house as well.

It all depends financially how much you can realistically afford. No point giving your child £10 a week if you're scrimping & saving to pay your bills etc..

I can afford to give her more but I just wondered what is spoilt and what is realistic!
She'd spend whatever I gave her too so I don't want to make it too much, or too little. Her friends don't seem to get pocket money, yet get things all the time from their parents, I want to try to teach her a bit of money control.

Jaylou my kids get some - 10 year old gets £4 a week and the 6 and 7 year olds get £2 a week each ( there dont really spend it on much!)
I think yours sounds fair - maybe put it up by £1.50 a week next year if she is stuggling cos I guess your pound isnt getting you so much these days!

I can afford to give her more but I just wondered what is spoilt and what is realistic!
She'd spend whatever I gave her too so I don't want to make it too much, or too little. Her friends don't seem to get pocket money, yet get things all the time from their parents, I want to try to teach her a bit of money control.

I totally agree they need to learn to budget/save. My wee boy is only 18 months so not ready for pocket money yet but he collects all our 1p's/2p's & 5p's & puts them in his money box every day :8855: Although to be fair if we're skint we cash it in

I forgot to add that my kids DO have to do chores in order to get this and have it taken away as punishment if necessary!

^^^ that's probably where I need to clamp down a bit. She doesn't do much to help.....

Maybe explain that if she does more around the house then you might look at a raise?
Might be enough to get her interested in some chores! ;)

Not too much to ask is it! I don't get those things done and I don't go in there to do it either!!!

I always say Im not gonna do it but when the mess gets unbearable i cant help it!

I've three children (13, 11, 7).
None of mine have pocket money, but I do buy them things as and when they (really) need it.
I tried giving them money, with a list of chores, but nothing ever got done! Pocket money stopped.
I do ask them to help around the house - taking washing upstairs, emptying the dishwasher, hoovering (maybe once a week) and to keep their rooms tidy.
They get money from us when they have done a 'harder' task or have achieved something (for example, I gave my eldest £10 as he won the 'players player', 'managers player' and 'sponsors player' trophies in his football presentation at the weekend). Family members also give them money for doing jobs. The eldest two are saving money for a gadget at the moment!
I still believe that they need to 'work' to be given something.

When I was younger, I had 49 1/2 p per week (showing my age!), so that I could buy a single record from Woolies every fortnight! I started working at 14 and when I was 17 had my family allowance in return for doing my mum's cleaning.
Hope this helps with your decision. xx

my son is 6 months lol so doesnt get any. but i never used to get any i got myself a paper round at 12 and then a job at 15 where i got paid £1.22 an hour!!!! x

Back