Potato and potato

melarnz

Silver Member
I had way too many potatoes today, but it has raised a question.

Could anyone explain to me why a 300g jacket potato is 11 points and 300g of boiled potato is 6. I have taken this info from the search facility on my iPhone

Thanks

Mel cxx

I think its to do with how the energy is released. Boiled potatoes a lot of starch is boiled out of them where asbaking them in their skin keeps all their properties

Hi

I just checked my e-source for you...

300g of raw potato (no matter how you cook it, obviously you need to add points if you cook it in oil or stock or something) is 6pp

The reason you saw 11pp for 300g jacket potato is because this is the points value for when the potato is cooked, so a 550g jacket potato raw, changes to 300g cooked.

Hope that makes sense.

I wish WW would make this clear. A lot of people have this trouble with this its very confusing. Dont worry as long as you stick within your points you can have as many as you want.

Like I said before its to do with how your body uses the energy. Ww is now based on gi baked pots have a higher gi than boiled. There is also

The fact that you may be looking at cooked and pre cooked weights too.

Nope. 300g of boiled potato is showing as 6. And 300g of cooked jacket is 11.

I get the 'boil out the starch thing'

Thanks x x

I know its weird. I always wonder why you can eat any type of fruit, but when it comes to peas, sweetcorn and parnsips you have to point??????

havnt a clue i miss potatoes as i have no scales i wont buy them lol x

I think that it may be Peas, sweetcorn and parsnips have high levels of natural sugars in - well more so many other veg - hence the pro points value

300g of boiled potato holds more water and less actual potato than 300g baked potato.

Simple way to solve this, weigh the pots before you cook them.

A potato is a potato is a potato, regardless of the type, so the precooked weight, and therefore the pp's will be accurate.

My leader checked this with the area leader, and basically, boiled potato etc doesn't change much, weight wise, during cooking, whereas with a jacket, a lot of the water evaporates.

So, a 200g raw potato is 4pp, but weighed after baking will be around 100g, and et voila, 4pp.

Does that make sense?

How would you point mash potato? I never know how much one potato makes when mashed so I always over do it and then guess by putting just 2 spoonfuls on my plate.

I'd love to know how you guys make it/point it so I can be accurate.

Mets said:
How would you point mash potato? I never know how much one potato makes when mashed so I always over do it and then guess by putting just 2 spoonfuls on my plate.

I'd love to know how you guys make it/point it so I can be accurate.

Personally, I point the potato, milk & butter prior to cooking, so I have a pp value for the whole panful, say 20pps, then I weigh the whole lot after, and if I have a quarter of what's there, it's easy to work out the pps.

Its a bit fiddly but I need to know exactly how many pps I'm eating. I even have a list of all my pan weights stuck inside my cupboard to make it easier :D *control freak*

Hope that helps!

But it'll weigh different when cooked won't it? I think I must be being a bit dim this morning but I don't get it??!! lol :-/

Mets said:
But it'll weigh different when cooked won't it? I think I must be being a bit dim this morning but I don't get it??!! lol :-/

Yes but you already know the pps for the full pan, so regardless of what it weighs after cooking, you're still only taking a percentage.

Umm, ok so let's say it all weighs 1kg before cooking & comes to 32pps. After cooking it might weigh 1.2kg, but the pps are still the same, but because you've weighed it out, you know that 300g would be approx 8pps because it's a quarter of the total cooked weight.... Any better?

Hehehe! Yeah I think that makes sense.... So mine is 917g raw which makes 19pp? I'd then weigh out whatever I wanted, say 350g I count that as 7pp??

Mets said:
Hehehe! Yeah I think that makes sense.... So mine is 917g raw which makes 19pp? I'd then weigh out whatever I wanted, say 350g I count that as 7pp??

Yep, as long as you're weighing it after it's been cooked too, so you know you're having, say, 25% of the whole 19pp, like if it went up to 1kg after cooking, 400g would be 8pp. Xx

Ok do I weigh it when it's mashed? It actually was 810g raw so 800g is 16pp.

(thanks so much for your help with this :) )

I think that it may be Peas, sweetcorn and parsnips have high levels of natural sugars in - well more so many other veg - hence the pro points value

Thanks for that , but Fruit has natural sugars and they are free?? so here is my dilemma. :confused:

Mets said:
Ok do I weigh it when it's mashed? It actually was 810g raw so 800g is 16pp.

(thanks so much for your help with this :) )

Yep, weigh when mashed, then come back & post the difference (I'll be interested to know) but basically, if you have a quarter of what's in the pan (weight-wise), you're having a quarter of 16pp (don't forget to point any milk or butter) xx

Back