Primal Eating and Intermittent Fasting - Phoenyx's Experiment of One...

Phoenyx said:
fasted til 1pm (15 hrs), got my walking in

Plan is now 25 min walk, 15 min run, kettleworx. Food wise, I'm not sure. Eat when hungry, I guess.

Well done I'm gonna do a fast Thursday & Friday but I'll only do the 15-17 hrs x

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Yay to fasting! I'm not hungry at mo, but will play it by ear today, not aiming for anything.

so I put on my trousers this morning, and they were tight :( I havent fallen off track, and my 18s were really quite baggy yesterday. I've got my period, but that doesn't usually bloat me up a whole dress size. So I took off my trousers and checked and they were a SIZE 16!!! I'm wearing a SIZE 16!!!!!!!!!!

They're a little tight around the waistband, but wearable. When I started this journey this year I was a size 22...(squeezed into a few 20s). Now I'm a size 16!!!! And maybe when I go back to school after the summer hols I'll be a size 14!!! How cool would that be!

That's fantastic what a great surprise ...bet that's made your day x

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Didn't get my kettleworx in because I forgot it was DDs school play. Did get some movement in tho. One of the things I love about living primal is that "chronic cardio" (cardio that goes on long enough to stress your body) is not recommended. It doesn't help you lose weight (calories burned are limited, and it increases food intake, usually the following day). And it promotes the release of cortisol which does nasty stuff, including store fat around your middle. Instead, daily movement (eg gentle walking) is recommended, along with lifting heavy stuff 2-3 times a week and sprinting once a week.

This has transformed my exercise schedule - I now walk more and fit 10-20 min slots of exercise in where I can. Instead of feeling guilty that I didn't run for an hour, or think I don't have time to do 45 mins exercise, I just do it! I ran home from work today (13 mins, plus a little detour), because I didn't have time for anything else. Before paleo, I wouldnt have done anything because I thought 13 mins running wouldn't be enough! And I'll just randomly do lunges or sit against a wall for a min during the day. It's great. I enjoy exercising so much more and have so much less guilt!

Today:

9am coffee with cream
11am coffee with cream
1.30pm half avocado, rocket salad, free range (acorn fed!) Spanish ham
5pm coffee & cream, Greek yoghurt, raspberries
8.30pm Aubergine, chorizo & chicken stew, handful of walnuts, 3 sq dark choc

Exercise: 35 min walking, 21 min run (mostly uphill...)

Didn't plan on fasting today, but 16.5 hrs til I ate at lunch. Felt tired at the beginning of my run - I don't think my portions were big enough at lunch to make up for the fasting.

Hi Phoenyx - amazing on the 16s - NSVs are much more fun than those rubbishy scales:)

And don't forget that if it's play you "allowed" to do more:D. Which is why i still get plenty of dancing and zumba in - as long as it's for pleasure and i get those rest breaks/days in!
Xx

So, on the up side, I finally got up early and did kettleworx (resistance week 2). The DVDs are cheesy but good. I used my large kettlebell this time, 8kg, coz I figured, in primal spirit, better to lift heavier and not be able to manage all the reps. I felt fine doing it, and they encourage exercise in a fasted state, but my legs are all shaky now from all the squats etc.

On the downside - I have a confession to make....ive managed to stay away from mfp (had to delete the app, was getting tempted!) but I've weighed in every day :(

So here are my weigh ins:

Mon 12.12.6 (up 1.6lbs on last weigh in - totm)
Tues 12.11.6
Wed 12.11.2

I'm going to carry on weighing daily this week but make my target not to go on mfp or calorie count at all. Maybe avoid weighing next week!

Popping this in here, posted it on another forum but useful reference. Must get ready for work!

Phoenyx said:
I listen to jimmy moores podcasts (living la vida low carb, ask the low carb expert etc) lots of paleo in there. He's done some fantastic interviews with Gary taubes and John briffa

I have listened to rob wolfs, it was okay, Zoe harcombes (she's too annoying), latest in paleo (okay)

On my list to listen to but haven't got round to it yet.

Fat burning man (Abel James)
Everyday paleo
Balanced bites

Let me know if you've listened to those and what you think. Jimmy Moore is by far my fave!

Today so far:

Exercise: kettleworx resistance week 2 (8kg kettlebell, up from 4kg)
50 mins walking

9am 100g coconut chunks, coffee with cream
11am black coffee
1pm 1/2 avocado, rocket, spinach & watercress leaves, free range Spanish ham, 30g dark choc
5pm soya latte (naughty non paleo treat!)
7.15pm grass fed sirloin steak cooked in coconut oil with stir fry mix veg, and to nibble on after, raspberries, almonds, walnuts, olives and chilli manchego cheese

(felt hungry and on the verge of carb madness tonight, so armed myself with lots of nibbles and a good book. Working so far!

Last edited:
Well done staying off mfp - it's remarkably hard! :)

Phoenyx said:
Today so far:

Exercise: kettleworx resistance week 2 (8kg kettlebell, up from 4kg)
50 mins walking

9am 100g coconut chunks, coffee with cream
11am black coffee
1pm 1/2 avocado, rocket, spinach & watercress leaves, free range Spanish ham, 30g dark choc
5pm soya latte (naughty non paleo treat!)
7.15pm grass fed sirloin steak cooked in coconut oil with stir fry mix veg, and to nibble on after, raspberries, almonds, walnuts, olives and chilli manchego cheese

(felt hungry and on the verge of carb madness tonight, so armed myself with lots of nibbles and a good book. Working so far!

How good does that sound - tea at yours please! That is my dream 'holiday' tea - or the little buffet plate id have on xmas eve night. Low carb rocks!!

Nibbles sound good! I found samphire in my local Tesco. Very excited. Just got to get a lovely fresh bit of fish to set it off tomorrow.

Nibbles were lovely! My bum aches from kettleworx today!

Have been looking at body fat today. I know the scales arent very accurate but mine is dropping nicely!

According to about.com, the body fat ranges for women aged 22-40 are:

Underfat: under 21%
Ideal 21-33%
Overweight 33-39%
Obese over 39%

Mine is currently 40.1%. So not far to go to until I'm overweight, not obese.

Back