primal plum

You have come a long way figuring out what is suiting you!! Great news that you as doing so well!

I was wondering if in your reading efforts you had a read of a book called "Spent" end exhaustion & feel great again by Dr Frank Lipman.. Working my way through it now - goes nicely with primal (mostly) has loads of stretches etc, that I can really do at the moment because of my shoulder. Has interesting supplement ideas etc

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

You have come a long way figuring out what is suiting you!! Great news that you as doing so well!

I was wondering if in your reading efforts you had a read of a book called "Spent" end exhaustion & feel great again by Dr Frank Lipman.. Working my way through it now - goes nicely with primal (mostly) has loads of stretches etc, that I can really do at the moment because of my shoulder. Has interesting supplement ideas etc

I haven't seen that one, I'll look out for it at the library. Most of my supplement ideas I got from a book called From Fatigued to Fantastic which is aimed at people with CFS/ME. Hope Spent helps you out, feeling exhausted is no fun at all!

My hunger was ok this morning but being out in the cold it is picking up!

The book suggests trying 5htp with magnesium in evening and during the day Rhodiola rosea which I think is starting to help, also looking at my sleep patterns on my fitbit kind of explains my tiredness. I wake up a lot at night.

But in the last week the mid morning and afternoon sleepy feeling is going :) assuming is tablets. As my diet is still a bit rubbish! Lol

Have gone back to normal now, was also fighting off a cold I discovered! Which also makes me hungry. At least I managed to mostly eat good stuff. :)

All this talk of pizza, I'm going to try the crust from Make It Paleo tonight. Fingers crossed!

how was the pizza ?

Im going to try one of those pizza tomorrow.

It's making good smells from the oven at the mo! (we eat kind of late) Made it with courgette instead of aubergine as I try to limit aubergine (cos it's a nightshade). I'll let you know! :D

I've realised how less frequently I hit up Minimins since going primal, I pretty much just get on with things! Which I think is a good way to be going forward really. :) I seem to have lost my Christmas weight now and have been working on getting back into an exercise routine (although I need to start wearing my fitbit again, I slacked over the break). I have had a few bodyfat readings in the 33% range (instead of 34) but not quite enough to call myself in the 33 bracket yet - but it's an encouraging sign that they're appearing every so often now!

Sometimes it seems like primal/paleo is too good to be true; I have kicked the Christmas cravings and am more than happy with all the yummy paleo things I eat. I've stopped tracking food on MFP and so far it seems to be working OK for me. If my weight goes up for no reason, though, I'll probably track some days just to see where I am. I feel a lot more free in cooking and not sticking precisely to recipes as before I was obsessed with knowing the calorie count of my meals as closely as possible and thus never really improvised much.

Had a bit of a naughty treat today; tapioca pudding made with coconut milk. Tapioca pearls are made out of cassava starch, cassava is a root. So it's not grain-based and thus I don't feel TOO guilty. :D This was after a really lovely moist slow cooker chicken roast (then grilled it on all sides to crisp up the skin) from nomnompaleo, a proper Sunday dinner really. That's what I mean about it seeming too good to be true!

One thing that has made a big difference to what I'm eating at the moment... Mr plum and I had been saving up for a Vitamix for awhile, I like green smoothies and a normal blender never seemed to get past the 'little bits of leaf suspended in water' stage. I always find that my health seems a bit better if I have a small green smoothie most mornings before breakfast. Anyway, we hadn't reached our savings target when my lovely mother gave us some gift vouchers that brought us up to the final total! So we whizzed off and bought one. And I'm truly amazed by it. There is no getting around the fact that they are seriously expensive but now that we have it we are using it once or even twice most days. I've read online that many people have 35 year old Vitamix blenders that are still going strong so I am looking at it as an investment.

I've been making green smoothies galore, and they are actually smoothies in texture! We've made a lot of veggie soups, paleo mayo (which I know you can do with a normal blender but I am usually impatient and put the oil in too quickly) and flavoured mayo, and tonight we made really creamy homemade almond butter that was so good I'm not sure I can go back to the stuff from the shop (we got a big bag of almonds from Costco). Previously I was afraid to make almond butter as our food processor is an attachment to a kitchen mixer and I was worried about burning the motor out by processing the almonds for 12-15 minutes. It was done in about a minute and a half in the Vitamix! So although it cost a very lot of money I am really glad we were able to buy it.

Sooooo jealous of your vitamix. I tried coconut in my processor and 20 mins had nothing but compacted coconut. I'd love to make my own butters and mayo.

Sooooo jealous of your vitamix. I tried coconut in my processor and 20 mins had nothing but compacted coconut. I'd love to make my own butters and mayo.

Did you try adding some coconut oil to the dried coconut? I have read that that can help but don't know if it's true? I feel really lucky we were able to get the Vitamix tbh! (if you are more patient than me you can definitely make mayo without a Vitamix, I am just not patient at all. my joke motto is 'I was being patient, but it took too long!' LOL)

Hmm. The Make It Paleo crust (made with courgette instead of aubergine)... it tasted fine and provided a useful base for the pizza toppings... but it was not 'pizza crust' if that makes sense. It was tasty enough that I would have it again but with less expectation of it being like normal pizza! It was fine for what it was, it's just that what it was isn't quite what I was in the mood for, lol. :)

I think next time I want to try to emulate 'normal' pizza crust I will try this recipe which gets good comments:

Welcome to The Unrefined Kitchen ~ Paleo/Primal Cooking

Did you try adding some coconut oil to the dried coconut? I have read that that can help but don't know if it's true? I feel really lucky we were able to get the Vitamix tbh! (if you are more patient than me you can definitely make mayo without a Vitamix, I am just not patient at all. my joke motto is 'I was being patient, but it took too long!' LOL)

I did put coconut oil in too - just guess the motor wasn't powerful enough, it's only a Curry's processor - I think it's partly the heat generated that makes it start to turn into butter . I ended up having coconut on everything for a week rather than waste it!I have made mayo before in a processor - almond milk would be doable in a decent blender too.
Been looking at reviews but everyone seems to point to a vita mix or a blendtec. Can't find a review where someone is using a cheaper blender I can get here to make nut butter but I just can't afford a vita mix this year. Oh well, I will keep looking.

I did put coconut oil in too - just guess the motor wasn't powerful enough, it's only a Curry's processor - I think it's partly the heat generated that makes it start to turn into butter . I ended up having coconut on everything for a week rather than waste it!I have made mayo before in a processor - almond milk would be doable in a decent blender too.
Been looking at reviews but everyone seems to point to a vita mix or a blendtec. Can't find a review where someone is using a cheaper blender I can get here to make nut butter but I just can't afford a vita mix this year. Oh well, I will keep looking.

There was an almond butter recipe in one of the good food supplements recently and they just used a food processor, and I have seen online recipes that use one too. I wonder if almonds would be easier than coconut, which seems quite hard! I do remember reading comments that you may look at it in the processor and think it's never going to turn into butter, but persevere (you might have to let the motor cool down a bit) and it will!

Here's the recipe that was in the supplement:

Almond butter recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food

Reading the comments it does seem that there are food processors and then there are food processors!

When I make roasted almond butter I do it when they're still a bit warm from the oven so this might help?

Massive batch of meatballs in tomato sauce burbling away in the slow cooker to freeze when they're done! All that browning of them should have made me hungry but I don't feel like anything today. I know it's because I'm a bit glum over this job dilemma, and I also know that I won't feel any better if I don't eat something so that I can do my Monday kettlebell session! But that doesn't seem to be getting me to the kitchen...

Hmm. Home-roasted macadamias are not as yummy as store-bought ones! New batch of almond butter turned out yummy though, instead of honey I mixed in a drop of maple syrup. And didn't burn the almonds this time!

Found a great tapas restaurant last night that labels their gluten-free tapas options right on the menu! Nice to have an eating out option where you don't have to cross-examine the wait staff to ensure your meal won't make you ill! Food was delicious too!

What a great idea! Glad you had a good time and bonus you were not ill :)

Found a great tapas restaurant last night that labels their gluten-free tapas options right on the menu! Nice to have an eating out option where you don't have to cross-examine the wait staff to ensure your meal won't make you ill! Food was delicious too!

Thats brilliant service!!!

X

Sorry I've been so sketchy on keeping up on minis lately. :( Been really exhausted/stressed and now fighting off a cold too, everything slips then. :(

Mr plum has made some delicious pumpkin custards tonight, we'll have some for pudding and then freeze some for future noshing. I've never tried to freeze them before but they are essentially pumpkin pie filling and I know people freeze pumpkin pie, so fingers crossed this will work out. The cherry upside-down cakes froze ok but are even moister (this is tactful phrasing for 'just a little bit soggy') when defrosted. Still delicious though!

Back