Quick Question - Please help!

LadyKate25

Silver Member
I am now doing the four packets a day on slim & save. Am I still allowed skimmed milk and veg ?? I find this so strange ? Won't these bring me out of ketosise ? As I was doing Lipotrim you could have nothing. So find this mad!

Am I also allowed sugar free gum. X

Thanks all. X

Yes you can have skimmed milk and veg - only to the limit and type allowed though. They are optional so if you don't feel comfortable having them then don't. You can stay in ketosis with them though.

Yes you can have skimmed milk and veg - only to the limit and type allowed though. They are optional so if you don't feel comfortable having them then don't. You can stay in ketosis with them though.

Thank u very much
It feels so weird. I might do the milk for now for my tea and coffee to start. X

My LL consultant said no to gum right at the beginning, suggested mouth sprays. Even sugar free are still carb apparently. Was unsure on that one so would be very happy if it not true!!

According to the s&s website (under bad breath in q&a) it says sugar free gums are fine

My LL consultant said no to gum right at the beginning, suggested mouth sprays. Even sugar free are still carb apparently. Was unsure on that one so would be very happy if it not true!!

The reason LL days no gum is to break the chewing habit. They used to have only soups and shakes. Liquid diet.

MinnieMel said:
The reason LL days no gum is to break the chewing habit. They used to have only soups and shakes. Liquid diet.

Not now though - they have bars and meals too. I guess for them it's part of the abstinence thing - giving up food and such like.

Not now though - they have bars and meals too. I guess for them it's part of the abstinence thing - giving up food and such like.

They had bars when I did it -- but I think it is the "chewing habit -- comfort thing" the plan wants you to stop. The big difference between Lighter Life and other programs is that LL has a counseling component to help with the psychological reasons for one's weight issues.

MinnieMel said:
They had bars when I did it -- but I think it is the "chewing habit -- comfort thing" the plan wants you to stop. The big difference between Lighter Life and other programs is that LL has a counseling component to help with the psychological reasons for one's weight issues.

Yep - I did a combination of LL and SnS - and it is quite a powerful experience to 'give up' all food / diet drinks / chewing gum etc. I learnt a lot about my relationship with food.

I did LL and it was super strict for that reason, which did work on a level but didnt on another level.
They didnt mention anything about coke zero, herbs and spices, green veg or anything that is actually ok to have.
For a while I was convinced they made up the thing about citric acid to stop us drinking sugar free drinks! and the reason for anything was 'it will knock you out of ketosis!!'

I did LL and it was super strict for that reason, which did work on a level but didnt on another level.
They didnt mention anything about coke zero, herbs and spices, green veg or anything that is actually ok to have.
For a while I was convinced they made up the thing about citric acid to stop us drinking sugar free drinks! and the reason for anything was 'it will knock you out of ketosis!!'

It can knock very sensitive people out if ketosis, but it never affected me that way.

I think they were really going for "strict" -- I went almost 100% by the rules and did very well. I knew I needed to do Management, but the friend I joined with quit going (Childcare issues) and I didn't like the 25 minute drive in the dark dead of winter -- but if I'd stayed with it -- I might not be losing and relosing within such a large range over and over and over again.

It is sooooooo much work to get it off -- you'd think I'd learn it's not worth it to backslide.

It worked really well for me because I did the super strict thing for 6 months and then I did 3 packs and a protein meal for another 4 months - allowing myself more leeway etc. This meant that I got the benefit of 'giving up food' and working on my relationship with food. This was a really powerful time for me and really important in my current maintenance. However, I also think that the time when I moved to 3 packs plus a protein meal was really important. It gave me the chance to learn to cook different sorts of foods (I stopped being a vegetarian at the same time) and to learn about portion sizes. It also gave me the chance to realise the importance of planning my meals in advance. I found the maintenance part of LL the worst bit of the whole diet. I needed more structure and support. I had to find my own way with a few false starts. If I'd had to go straight from 4 packs and nothing else to LL's route to maintenance programme I would have struggled far more.

Thanks ladies
I am just worried about my breathe so much esp at work and that. My partner has said he can smell me very strongly !! Lol. X

I didnt get to goal with LL or come off it properly.. I dove into an easter egg :/ but I did still learn loads and continue good work losing another half stone on top of what I lost there, but slowly got back into bad habits over the next two years. could have been loads worse!
I do think S&S has a good balance of what we are and arent allowed though

The lack of support and direction with LL maintenance is one of the reasons we stopped going - but I wasn't ready to be on my own. I've used Beck's book in the interim and done well as long as I was following its guidance. I have RC portion pots and those help.

breath spray helps :] feels embarrassing to let anyone see you spray it though.. weird!

I think the LL idea is amazing but flawed too, my counsellor was harsh and a bit scary. the principles it teaches you are good. I also found things like, not getting a word in edgeways with some people in the group, the counsellor often had her own idea about things (such as people being told to clear their plates as a child, this one annoyed me because it was NOT true in my case yet I still got fat!)
but just thinking lots about what youre doing deffo helps! I want the beck book!! missed my delivery today..gutted!

Back