Quiet on here isn't it! - (or Sean's RTM Journey)

sounds great sean
what are you cooking for anniversary meal?

how many years are you celebrating?

daisy x

Oh happy anniversary to you both - enjoy them meal and the celebrations.

Still doing well :D

Thanks both, I feel I'm getting back into the swing of RTM after really having a few mental challenges these past couple of weeks.

21 years Anniversary, Meal tonight will be:

King Scallops on black pudding with pea puree
Seared lamb on braised lentils
Summer pudding
all served with Champagne and desert wine
Can't wait :)

Wednesday week 9 day 7

LL Porridge for breakfast, then worked solidly through the day without a break. Before I knew it I was in the car on way to LL meeting so had inadvertently missed lunch, plenty to drink though so didn't feel hungry.

WI and I have STS (hooray!!!!) - I was convinced I'd lost a couple of pounds again but have to be happy with STS. Current weight is 12st 2lb which still looks weird given that only 5 months ago I was 20st 6lb! (how on EARTH did I let that happen to me????)???

So plan for next 2 weeks is STS or even put ON 1-2lb just to see how I react. Can I do it deliberately? Will I spiral out of control (actually, you know what I honestly don't think that's even a remote possibility now - the only think that's still concerning me slightly is the 3 weeks in France in August, but I'm gradually coming to terms with that as well) :)

RTM really is the time to sort out your head as well as get reacquainted with food, and I'm loving the experiences good and bad.

Dinner was veg curry (frozen from last week) and one small chapati. Then took my son to the Pub to celebrate him passing his driving test and had large Red Wine, 2 LL bars for supper as still felt seriously hungry.

Total KCal ~ 1,300 for the day, but less exercise than normal so not worried, and planning high KCal today and at weekend so having 'banked' a few is part of the ongoing maintenance plan.

3 more weeks until RTM is over, and I genuinely now feel that I've made progress. I'm happy with my weight for possibly the only time ever in my adult life, and will still be happy if I put on 7-8lb which is a revelation. I feel comfortable around food, and although there are times I "want" some of the creamy/sweet/high fat lovelies, I know that I can chose to, or not to take them and will enjoy either choice.

Here's to the next 3 week, and the following 40+ years :)

Wishing you a very Happy Anniversary! :D

Hope you and your significant other enjoy your evening together and that the kids are out for the night! :p

--
In other ways; mentally you are doing brilliantly Sean. I'm very impressed to be honest, your whole approach to RTM has been very rational, calm and well thought out. Remember that most people who have been reading it; have been going through the journey WITH you! - Not necessarily doing RTM; but going through your experiences, identifying with certain thoughts you've expressed - and generally seen you as an inspiration. So thank you. :)

Also - there is something I tell myself in relation to weight gain at the moment. Realistically you have to overeat your daily calorie intake maximum (2'500 calories) by 3'500 to gain 1 lb. ... So that'd be 6'000 in one day to gain 1? And unless you go back to the way you and I used to eat (thinking about it now probably makes us both feel sick, eh? :p) it's technically not going to happen any time soon.
What you would be gaining now is the water from the starchy foods; and also some fat; while your body 'settles down' after a long period of 'survival' mode. About 7 pounds sounds right; though do be careful. I keep telling myself I'd be fine with gaining a few pounds (since I'm a little below target too), but when it actually happens; emotionally I do feel a bit anxious about it still.

:hug99: Have a great evening.
x

Thanks Min, I really appreciate your kind words and it does help knowing that others are benefiting from my inane ramblings - as I do by reading other blogs here.

So yesterday was day 1 of week 10 RTM and my 21st Wedding Anniversary.

Porridge breakfast and salad lunch (with 2 Pakora type things from buffet), then quick shop & home to cook.

Snack of an apple and some raisins with a handful of mixed nuts - I still find it really difficult to cook without eating/drinking something so I need to work on this, but at least chose healthy options and a cup of coffee!

Dinner as promised,

Started with a couple of glasses of champagne and mixed anti-past (olives, tomato, mushroom)
Starter of 3 x King scallops on black pudding with pea puree (made with cream (well Elmlea)), and more champagne
Main course of lamb & braised lentils with a little home made salsa, and wholemeal roll - 1 week early but pushing the boundaries, and only ate ~ 1/2 with no butter) plenty of Primitivo, red wine :)
Desert, home - Summer pudding with fruit coulis and vanilla fromage frais - more champagne
2 x glasses of Port and 3 x Belgium chocolates - 2 weeks early !!!

Phew

Really enjoyed the evening and the food (rather proud of the meal TBH, been ages since I last had chance/inclination to cook a 'proper' dinner).

No idea about total calories for the day but I'd guess ~ 5,000??

This morning though feel slightly worse for wear with a fuzzy head and decidedly grumbling stomach! Fortunately I have the day off work so we're going to Derbyshire for some serious walking in a minute, that should make me feel better & work off some of the calories. At least my 'head' isn't regretting anything food/drink wise and I don't have the urge to eat anything (although I have forced myself to have the porridge this morning).

All in all a great day, and a good experience

glad you enjoyed your anniversery meal

hope you had a good walk - thats my neck of the woods - where did you go?
daisy x

Friday Week 10 - Day 2

Went to Dovedale, really pretty area and started with the 3 mile walk along the river to Milldale where we had a cup of coffee (my wife ate a Cherry Bakewell slice but I couldn't face anything - the Ducks were keen to share though) and bought a book of local walks, then started walk back but decided to try one of the other walks so went off on a detour towards Stanshope over the hills and in the end we walked for over 10 miles.

Absolutely fantastic though and a really great anti dote to the excesses of last night. As we were walking we missed lunch and went straight to the Supermarket on way home so really low food intake.

Dinner was warm chicken salad (I do confess to having has 2 plates of salad) then a Muller Light. All washed down with a few glasses of Red wine. :)

Net Cals after exercise ~ 800

Co-incidentally that makes the average for the past 48 hrs to be about the 'desired' level for maintenance of weight (he-he) so hopefully no major damage done, but I'm not going to worry just wait & see what the scales say in 12 days time.

So out for our 'official' celebratory meal tonight and I've promised myself cheese for the first time this year (assuming I still 'want/need' something at the end of the meal). Catch up again tomorrow.

dovedale's lovely - my husband is from ashbourne and we are over there most weekends

enjoy your official celebrations
daisy x

That day sounds almost perfect Sean, glad you had a good time and you're doing so well!

Cheers all, thanks for the encouragement

Week 10 Day 3 - Saturday

Day spent in leicester shopping in the morning, then in front of the TV watching Rugby in the afternoon. Only one short walk today (25 mins) which was enough to be honest, will go for a little longer this p.m.

Food wise, was always a planned 'big' day as were celebrating, so I was fairly conservative during the day to preserve some calories for the evening. Went to local sea-food restaurant (and as I live smack in the middle of the UK there aren't many of those around locally), and rather over-indulged but not in the food (too many chocolates & brandy when got home). Oddly though despite having eaten bread again, and had my plate of cheeses (which I ate with grapes rather than crackers), he total calories for the day are still only 2,500 which has come as a real surprise to me.

I do feel like I've got a very "solid" belly this morning, but otherwise I don't feel over-full or uncomfortable, and I'm slightly hungry (mind you I have been awake since 6.30 so no wonder). Hopefully the weather will clear up as forecast as we're planning a BBQ this afternoon, so will have a couple of glasses of wine again. Also will have a sausage (but only 1, not the 6-7 I would have had) and a lean Gammon steak. I love BBQ and the whole experience of being outdoors.

Anyway I digress, my total food intake for yesterday (thanks Daisy for the idea), as best as I can judge not knowing 100% the ingredients at the restaurant:

Breakfast
lighter Life lighter Life Shake
unbranded Frozen mixed fruit
Total Breakfast 170

Lunch
SALAD Green
TOMATOES Cherry, Average
GHERKINS Pickled, Average
ONIONS Pickled, Average
Raisins seedless
Vinegar balsamic
YOGHURT Plain, Low Fat
Hartley's Jelly - No added sugar

Total Lunch 177

Afternoon Tea
APPLES Gala, Average
Raisins seedless

Total Afternoon Tea 203

Dinner
WINE Red
WINE White, Dry
PORT Average
BRANDY 40% Volume
MONKFISH Grilled
PRAWNS King, Raw, Average
Cabbage chinese (pak-choi), raw
Butter salted
BREAD Black Olive, Finest
Fish sea bass, mixed species, cooked, dry heat
PRAWNS Boiled
Capers canned
Carrots baby, raw
Jacobs CRACKERS Bran
Cheese blue
Cheese cheddar
Cheese port de salut
CHEESE Wensleydale, Average
CHEESE Red Leicester, Average
Bendicks CHOCOLATES Mint Crisp
CREAM Single, Average
SWEET POTATO Baked
SCALLOPS Steamed
Coffee brewed, espresso, decaffeinated
GRAPES Green, Average

Total Dinner 1815

Late
Thorntons CHOCOLATES Truffle
Cantuccini BISCUITS Almond 1
Coffee brewed from grounds, decaffeinated 0

Total Late 171

Grand Total 2536

Last edited:
wow thats quite a list sean, lol!

glad you had a good time, enjoy your bbq today
daisy x

lol - looks worse than it was, 3 course dinner but actually all fairly small portions (except the wine which is still a weakness of mine :) ) and being mostly fish still low fat & cal - well it could have been significantly worse. I've added butter & cream as they will have been used in cooking by the restaurant, but not actually eaten/drunk any myself :)

Week 10 Day 4 - Sunday

Normal LL porridge & frozen berries for breakfast
Apple for lunch (too busy pressure washing slabbing to stop)
BBQ as planned - small bowl of olives to nibble
Gammon steak, 1 x Lincolnshire Sausage, Home made BBQ sauce, home made salsa, leeks with lentils
Muller light for desert
Handful of raisins

Also had sugar-free Jelly & 0% yoghurt for supper.

Total ~1,900 KCal for the day which is OK. Also spent 4hrs in the Garden and a 1 hr walk so a decent day all told.

I am finding that I really 'need' to eat in the evenings though. I suspect this is my body/mind compensating for lack of lunch though as I've missed lunch for 2 of the 3 days I've been at home. I guess I need to make sure I have something, and this will obviously be easier from Thursday when bread is 'officially' back on the menu as we have relatively little in the house to eat that doesn't involve sandwiches. Hmm, maybe I need to shop more.

Sean you seem to have thoroughly enjoyed your celebrations. Congratulations. I love the way you question everything and provide your thoughts on pushing the boundaries! xx

Cheers T_I, I have to keep questioning myself to stay focussed and conscious about what I consume, and I anticipate that this will be teh case over many months (years) to come. Which I'm cool with actually, pre LL the thought of 'thinking' about everything was horrendous and I couldn't concieve how people can live that way, but now I realise that it's actually 'normal' and naturally trim people live that way without realising it.

Maybe I am making progress, no I know I am. I have changed but am painfully aware of the opportunities for me to 'just let go' and slip back into old habits....

Week 10 Day 5 - Monday

LL Porridge and frozen fruit for breakfast
Small salad & salsa with an apple for lunch
Dinner at Hotel - mixed seafood salad, then grilled salmon on fennel (delicious) - hotel served with no mash and extra fennel at my request :) , small wholemeal roll (simply because I wanted it) :)

Longer walk at lunch as I knew I wouldn't have time in the evening, and apple for supper.

Total ~1,000 K Cal before exercise.

Up for a swim before breakfast, then I'm having a cooked breakfast as will be on my feet all morning (looking forward to it but will be sensible, promise)

Sean, you are doing well.

Eventually this constant thinking will feel less and less prominent in our minds and it will feel more like second nature. Yeah, we're going to have to tell ourselves off sometimes or watch ourselves others but its not impossible!

Thanks Em, I know you're right and to a small degree it is already getting easier as I now automatically look for healthier options on menu before looking at the higher fat, where as previously I didn't even notice that healthier options were available. Also pleased to report that my love affair with fruit is continuing, and this also helps as I'm happy to eat an apple or fruit salad in place of pretty much anything else.

Week 10 Day 6 - Tuesday

As promised went for a swim before breakfast then ate bowl of fruit salad and a cooked breakfast (0.8 x sausage (as didn't finish), 1.7 x lean bacon, 1 tomato, scrambled egg & grilled mushroom plus small portion of baked beans), no bread etc etc. Really enjoyed the breakfast and quite proud that I only had a fairly small portion and left a little, but still felt full.

On feet all morning so had an apple for a snack.

Nothing I wanted at lunch - only sandwiches & crisps provided by the hotel, so I took 2 apples and ate those in the car on drive home. From Thursday I'm supposed to eat bread every day but still really don't fancy it at the moment - I wonder if I should 'force myself' to see what the effect is?

Walk before dinner then stir-fry king prawns in spices & curry with green beans tin tomato and stir-fry veggies, very delicious - I LOVE PRAWNS :)

Supper of Muller light & a handful of raisins.

Total ~1,400 Cals before exercise so back down to a better level following last week's excesses.

Last edited:
I never thought I'd say this either: but I love prawns too!! I NEED to have them at least once a week, I have them as a special treat. :D And as for fruit: it's really lovely, and there's so much experimentation that can be done with just one apple! Could bake it, could slice it, could stew it, could cook it and drizzle honey on it, or yoghurt, vanilla extract, or put it in a sugar-free jelly, or sprinkle some cinnamon on it, or seeds, or raisins, oh my god, the list is endless. ... in reverse, what can you do with a cake? :confused: Just mush it up a bit maybe, or stuff it down. Lol. Not much variation. :D

As for the bread question, and with any question really: why force yourself when you don't want something! Forcing yourself can lead to bad mental processes. Have some if you want it, leave it if you don't. I'm allowed bread and what I want too: but when I don't feel the need for it, I don't have any...! After all, is someone actually telling you that you HAVE to have it? ... no. ;)

Either way, you're doing brilliantly. ! :)

You're right Min, I'm just working my way through the RTM weeks in order, however saying that I didn't follow 'staples' week religiously so why kid myself?

Bread week starts today & I'm going out for lunch so 'may' have a wrap, or 'may' have croutons on my salad - I'll see how I feel!

Actually weeks 11 & 12 don't seems especially relevant to me TBH. I don't especially have an issue with bread & I've had the odd portion for the past 3 weeks. Same with sweets/chocolate which I've also had occasionally over the past 2-3 weeks with no ill effects/cravings, so logically I should say That's It to RTM and fly solo from today onwards - what do you think?

More to the point, am I ready to leave the nest of LL just yet? On one level I 'need' the release, but as I've not been especially following RTM for about 3-4 weeks now I guess it's a largely academic question. I think I'll go it alone, except I will go to last meeting next Wednesday & buy the 7 packs as this will give me a full week+ 'spare' which I may feel the need to use post-holiday in August. Otherwise I think I may just go it alone.

Anyway: Week 10 Day 7 - Wednesday

LL porridge & frozen berries breakfast
Apple for mid morning snack
2 x Apples for lunch & handful of raisins
More raisins mid-afternoon
Dinner braised brisket (had 2 x portions), gravy, veg & 3 x crocket potatoes - wasn't going to eat more than 1 but wife pointed out this was getting obsessive so I ate the lot, TBH quite enjoyed them!
@ daughter's school presentation 1 x ritz cracker & cheese
Sugar free jelly & 0% yoghurt for supper

Long walk & 4 hrs presenting in the morning, total K Cal ~ 1,700 (1,400 after exercise), so low again even after 3 x Crocket potatoes!

I think after next Wednesday WI I may stop logging food for 7 days & see what happens, not 100% sure just yet I guess that will depend if I've STS or gained at WI.

:D
By all means, if you're ready (and you certainly seem to be!) start doing it on your own; I know that I didn't do about a week and a half of the proper 'RTM' of Lite because I was ready too. I would still suggest going in for the meeting and the WI: it's that mental release from the whole process you will miss if you don't follow through at least that part of it all. I was not going to go to my 'final' meeting, but all through that last week I felt rather ... incomplete so I HAD to go for peace of mind! :)

As for calorie counting, indeed see if you can go a few days without it, it's the true challenge! You now roughly have a good idea what a portion size is, and how much per day is a good amount to have; soon enough the calorie counting would become obsolete anyway when we have established a new set of perspectives into our routines.
Heee, the only downfall I may see is the wine! :p Don't get me wrong, when and if I drink I choose white wine, but I tend to stay away! They say liquid calories are the worst: because we don't perceive them/forget about them easily. I know you count them though, and are careful. :cool:

I believe 100% in you Sean! Go for it! Do what I can't do yet and stop counting! :D Show me how it's done. ;)

LOL Min, thanks for the comments and booze is definitely my Achilles heal - but I know that and can work around it. I certainly won't be avoiding wine (especially on hols in the middle of a huge wine making region & village), but will try & be as conscious as possible (literally) about quantities and what I eat when & after a drink.

Interesting though that I've still only had the one 1/2 pint of beer in the last 6 months, and really not craved or even desired any - and I love real ale - just not been bothered, but again I'm sure I will and when I do want a pint, I'll have one.

Isn't the whole process weird? Being taken away from food & drink for a number of months genuinely does change the whole way you think and more importantly 'feel' about food and drink - I guess I hadn't really considered this aspect of the diet before starting back in January. That said I'm enjoying the new experiences and finding my feelings 'intriguing' rather than disconcerting, I'm even amused at my reactions as often as not - Hmm.

So Week 11 Day 1 - Thursday

Porridge & frozen fruit breakfast
Apple mid-morning
Lunch out - Chicken & bacon salad, 2 x tubes Hellmanns Light Mayo - no croutons, weren't served!
Dinner Lentils, leeks, chopped bacon and green salad, glass of wine (last from bottle left from weekend)
Large portion SF Jelly
~120g raisins
small LF yoghurt.

Went to my daughter's DoE Bronze presentation and a HUGE buffet was laid on. I didn't fancy anything there (mostly bread/fried) so sat with a decaf while everyone else fueled-up! More than happy, did consider a sandwich (as bread week), but didn't want one so didn't bother :)

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that Wednesday should be the end of LL for me, almost regardless of WI result (mind you if I've gained 7 lb I may feel a bit different)!

Back