Refeed for S&S is here :)

Starlight

Gold Member
Hmm, interesting. I'm going to refeed far more slowly personally. I'm already on 800 calories (witht 60g - 70g carbs). I want to get to goal with 800 and then up the calories to 1000 and come out of ketosis. I will carry on like that and see how my weight goes. Hopefully it will get to the point where it will stabilise and I will up the calories to 1200 and see where that takes me and so on until I reach a position of stability. That's the plan anyway! I will definitely use the shakes and bars in maintenance as I like the fact that they're convenient and nutritionally complete. So if I want to indulge in a night out or something substituting a pack for one of my earlier meals should save me some calories to have in the evening.

Hmm, interesting. I'm going to refeed far more slowly personally. I'm already on 800 calories (witht 60g - 70g carbs). I want to get to goal with 800 and then up the calories to 1000 and come out of ketosis. I will carry on like that and see how my weight goes. Hopefully it will get to the point where it will stabilise and I will up the calories to 1200 and see where that takes me and so on until I reach a position of stability. That's the plan anyway! I will definitely use the shakes and bars in maintenance as I like the fact that they're convenient and nutritionally complete. So if I want to indulge in a night out or something substituting a pack for one of my earlier meals should save me some calories to have in the evening.

Hello hope you don't mind me asking i see your logic about increasing calories slowly :) you say u are on 800 cals now what is your weight loss like now? also how long will you follow 1000,1200 cals for? a few weeks?

Im trying to think of how to maintain myself as i lose the weight but can never maintain well enough.
claire

I moved up to 800 calories when I was within a stone of my original goal (although I've adjusted my goal downwards now to BMI 25 instead of 26). I've been losing 2lb a week on average since. Once I'm nearer goal (within half a stone) I will probably up the calories to 1000 to lose the last bit but keep in ketosis so I expect that to take about a month. Once at goal I will leave the calories at 1000 but start introducing carbs so the out of ketosis gain should (in theory) be offset by the lower than BMR calorie level. I will leave the calories as they are until I'm eating 1000 calories and losing a little more weight however long that takes, then I will up the calories to 1200 and stabilise weight ie get to the point where I'm losing a little and then up it again. I don't know how long it will take, but I suspect it may take some time. My long term maintenance plan is to keep calories lower during the week when I find it easy to do so and then leave some calories for treats and alcohol at weekends. That's the plan :)

Looks really interesting I'll be having a go at that :)

This is interesting but I'm tempted to follow the Cambridge refeed as regards the staged refeed....

I'm glad there are a few options out there as I'm sure it's not a one size fits all thing (just like knickers ;)). Being someone who doesn't like to follow anyone's rules :) I've got a pretty set idea of what I want to do.

The refeed for LL total (4 packs) takes 8 weeks (minimum - you can spend 3 weeks on each of the 8 stages if you want). It slowly reintroduces each food type to give you a chance to see how you (and your body) react to it. It is designed to help you decide what calorie level you can eat to maintain and to identify any problem foods for you. I don't have the details yet though as I'm still a stone away from goal.

Well the LL refeed sounds much more like what I want to do. I'll have to have a look over on the LL forum when the time is right. It's too early for me just yet.

• Eating too late at night <<

What difference does it make what time you eat - you're still putting calories in your body. The time of day is irrelevant. This will NOT make you fat, it may give you a bad nights sleep.

And no eating after 8pm - erm... What if you work nights? What if your average day is 2pm - 6am... This isn't very helpful at ALL (and utter rubbish too imho).

I'm with you on that. I have no intention on forever counting calories after this. A lot of research shows its not just (if at all) how many calories you eat but what you do with them (burn or store) and that depends on type of food and your body's response to a large extent. To my mind a version of gi / gl will be the most sustainable for me.

I thought that there was evidence that eating late in the evening was worse than eating earlier in the day? And if you're on nights surely you just adjust the timings to suit your day? I would in no way say that it's rubbish and personally I will be calorie counting using MFP during maintenance. No one ever got fat by ensuring their calorie intake was under their maintenance level. Most of us got fat by consuming more calories than that on a regular basis. Would have made absolutely no difference if I had stuffed myself full of low GI foods, I would still have been fat if too many calories were consumed.

I agree with the not eatin at night I think it does affect you, if you worked nights you would be up moving around so obviously it doesn't count for ppl working nights, I won't be eating after 8 anyway that use to be my downfall before x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I guess it's different for different people. I didn't used to eat after about 7pm (unless out for dinner or something) but I have type 2 diabetes and have found it loads better to have my supper at about 10pm - I guess it keeps my sugar level more even. As with all of these things I believe the important thing is to understand why the rule is there and then make a decision around whether or not that is relevant to you. Rob's refeed plan will work for everyone - but if you want to use the re-feed time to re-evaluate your reaction to certain foods and to understand how much you can eat without gaining weight (whether that's by calories or volume or type or whatever) then just take it more slowly and try things out for yourself. Horses for courses.

That's exactly what I was going to say - horses for courses! I will calorie count during refeed, but will eat when I'm hungry - eve snacking is a problem for me and I know that a hot choc pack in eve works wonders. At 130 cal, it's much much better than some of the alternatives!!!

It makes no mention of protein over carbs or the ongoing balance of macronutrients (ratio of fats to carbs to protein) which I think (and research shows) is v important. Whist I couldn't cut carbs out completely, i think balancing them will be vital.

Anyway, it's a way off for me yet, even if I do, for the first time, think I might actually do this!!!

Sorry the eating after 8 makes you fat is a load of rubbish... I'm a bit worried a company whos hand's I'm putting my health in is coming out with old wives tales like this.
:s

As I said, it can make you sleep badly but a chocolate bar at 7pm is not better than one at 9pm.

I'm sure it's so that people don't get into the habit of late night snacking that is an issue for so many people including myself. I need to draw a line under the last meal of the day and stop eating beyond a certain time. That will help me in maintenance. And late night eating is often associated with high carb loading with people reaching for bread or chocolate and over eating. And of course putting your health in someone's hands is a choice in the case of a diet. Someone at work who looks fantastic has been seeing a personal trainer / nutrition advisor and has lost loads and looks amazing. I thought she might be low carbing but saw her eating bread and yoghurt for lunch so I asked her and her nutrition advisor's advice was not to eat carbs after 7pm. I have to say she looks great on it and she's never been near a VLCD.

My doctor said the time you eat physically makes no difference your body processes the food the samaras of you ate in the morning... But for me as an emotional eater it's best for me not eating later. Like BG said draw a line knowing you can't have more

Back