Running help needed - urgently

tara40

Loves Norman Reedus
I have joined a ladies beginners running club but i find that physically i can cope, but i am having big problems with my breathing.
any advise on how to improve my breathing technique or lack of it whilst jogging. i put heavy breathers to shame.
i inhale and exhale through my mouth whilst jogging.
Help please

x

I'm the same hun, breathe heavy and always through my mouth. I'm sure there are certain techniques but aslong as you are not physically out of breathe then it doesn't matter if your breathing is heavy x

okay thanks.
i felt quite dizzy after second interval but i kept on walking and it went after about 20 seconds.
but i was okay today. it seems to be worse when i go with the group. maybe i need to slow it down a bit and go at my own pace?

I've been running for a while and started running at my heaviest and was breathing very heavily, I think that the breathing thing sorts itself out once you find your running pace if that makes sense? You may find that you need to be running more slowly and once you find a comfortable pace that you can maintain for a while your breathing will settle down. Maybe find someone in the group that is happy to run at a slower pace?

I've recently started taking a newbie out once a week and run at her pace, she's also having issues with breathing at the moment but we're taking it slow and trying to find her pace.

Yep you need to find your comfortable pace and that will defo help things but some people are just heavy breathers. I would say if your dizzy you've really pushed yourself a bit too hard.

Don't worry about being slow, the mire you run the fitter you'll get resulting in you being faster. X

I was told that i was breathing too shallow. And that i should be breathing really deep into my stomach. i know that sounds strange but it really worked for me.
Hope that makes sense - im not good at explaining! x

I was told that i was breathing too shallow. And that i should be breathing really deep into my stomach. i know that sounds strange but it really worked for me.
Hope that makes sense - im not good at explaining! x

yes that makes sense as my breathing is definitely not coming from deep into my stomach. I am hoping that the fitter i become the better my breathing should be.

i find that after my run, i'm coughing loads and my throat burns sooo much! does any one else get this?

i didnt have this problem when i was a heavy smoker!! lol

i find that after my run, i'm coughing loads and my throat burns sooo much! does any one else get this?

i didnt have this problem when i was a heavy smoker!! lol

no, not had this problem. how long have you given up smoking for.

about a year and 1/2. think its beacuse i've not ran for over a year and half. but when i do cardio at the gym i'm fine.

I agree with trying to take deeper breaths. Also I find my breathing is worse if I've eaten in the 2 hours previous to running, or if I've drunk too much. I take sips of water in the hours prior to jogging.

I agree with trying to take deeper breaths. Also I find my breathing is worse if I've eaten in the 2 hours previous to running, or if I've drunk too much. I take sips of water in the hours prior to jogging.

Thanks, i will take that on board. I always thought that you should eat about an hour or so before you run, but i felt dreadful on Monday.

tara40 said:
Thanks, i will take that on board. I always thought that you should eat about an hour or so before you run, but i felt dreadful on Monday.

Everybody is different when it comes to food - some need to eat some don't. I have to, I always have porridge then 45mind head out for a run. It's trial & error when it comes to food before running.

I agree you need to find a pace that suits you and allows you to draw in deep breaths comfortably, if I go too fast then my breathing goes everywhere!

And re the eating, I find that I get sick if I run after eating so I always try to make sure I have a carb-laden meal the night before I intend to run, which absolutely makes a massive difference, I've got far more energy that way x

thank you for all your advise. i went jogging friday morning and slowed it down slightly just so that i was able to take deep breaths when needed. even though i thought it was tiring i felt more comfortable, breath wise.

That's great. Once your breathing is back under control, no doubt each time you run, it will get less tiring :)

:)Cool! Once you've got comfortable you'll speed up naturally. I'm glad you're finding it easier.

Cardiovascular fitness takes time and a lot of effort. Plenty of water helps too. Good on you for giving it a good stab and not falling at the first hurdle because it gets difficult xx

What someone said about breathing into your stomach is good advice. I find if i get like you did I need to focus and pull good hard long breaths, rather than letting my mind race.

Back