Ruth's GI Diary

Hope your exams went well, Ruth, and that you enjoyed your break afterwards. Looking forward to seeing you back when you're ready! :)

Ruth, I hope the studies went well and that the exams went even better. With all that stress out of the way you will be able to get back on track with your GL diet.

Hi Ruth, I hope your exams went well. Haven't heard from you in awhile, and hope that you're doing well. Miss yah!

hi ladies! Sorry its been so long... it's much easier to avoid your diet than it is to restart it :eek:
Exams all went great- yay :)
Unfortunately I have to start work for the next set about now -boo :(

Couldn't get my scrub pants (trousers for those in the uk :p)on over my butt last week- hence I knew it was DEFINATELY time to get back to the diet.

Weighed myself this am - 164Ib- exactly the same as when I first joined minimins - so not a lot of progress this year! So the plan is the get back into action big time and actually loose those pounds!!!:)

Just swopped to doing a 3month rotation in ICU which is pretty gruelling- 8am to 8.30pm day shift, or the 8pm to 8.30am night shift- so I am struggling with managing food when I'm at work. Plus I live about 45mins away from work, so by the time I get back home at 9.30 I just want to eat whatever's lying around then fall into bed.

So the new plan is to do a sort of 'modified' lowGI diet- I really don't think its feasible for me at the moment to try and stick strictly to the lowGI - I just don't have the time to prepare stuff. So the idea is to be broadly lowGI as much as possible - especially for at work snacks to get me through the day, but just generally healthy/low cal as well.

Welcome back Ruth! Congratulations on your exams! Woot!

Oh my those are some really long hours. I never understand why the medical field hours are so long. You're out of the house for at least 14 hours a day, I can see how you don't have time to prepare food. I'd be dead tired after being away for 14 hours a day.

I think it's great that you are still planning to give low GI a go. Don't worry about doing a modified low GL diet. We are all doing a modified version of low GI/GL diet. What's important is what works best for you:)

Hi Ruth, nice to see you back - well done on your exams. :) Your schedule sounds mad, so being realistic about what you can accomplish foodwise sounds like a great plan. :)

Ah Ruth, good to see you posting again. Well done on the exam results. It's good that you have thought out how to approach your weightloss. Some good GL choices will help keep you on track.
Keep posting your menus as it will keep you focussed. Maybe try and plan your weekly menus, it might help focus you too.
Good luck .

Its so nice to hear from you all, thanks for your encouraging replies :)

Wed (at work):
B- museli bar and multigrain cracker with ham on, ate in the car (and then got horrible indigestion which serves me right!)

S- bag of roasted chickpeas

L- ham and spinach sandwich on german multigrain bread.

S- high prot/low carb 'fake' chocolate bar
skinny latte from work cafe

D- bean and turkey mince chilli con carne with basmati rice. Low fat/low sugar hot chocolate- very yummy (found this in the supermarket the other day - only 8cals per serving, obviously with the addition of any milk calories, seems to be composed of cocoa and stevia). 1 x 'pyramid' of tobolarone.

S- Ate 2 x slices left over homemade pizza when I got home.

Thu (not at work):
B- light'n'tasty macadaemia and honey cereal with skim milk

S- 'fake' high prot choc bar

L- can campbells healthy minestrone with wholegrain pasta soup with 1 x slice toast german multigrain with a scraping of spread on.

S- skinny latte at cafe

D- out for the evening. Went to a veggie/vegan cafe for food - chickpea and potato curry, with mixed dahl curry and brown rice. Roti.
2 x bottles low carb beers. 1 x pot of normal beer :eek:

Today so far:
B- Protein 1st cereal on low fat berry yoghurt

L- homemade spicy lentil, veggie and cannelloni bean soup (also made some extra for work next week)

S- sunflower oats and chia seed lunch slice (I'm completely *obsessed* with these, they're sooo yummy. Do you get them in the UK/sweden ?) with tomato relish, thin slices of cheddar, raw red onion and fresh spinach.

vita-wheat.jpg

D- not had yet but planning on something involving chicken and ?roasted veggies. Will be out later this evening, so probably a few drinks too :eek:

Looking good today Ruth!! You're back in the groove. I've never seen those lunch slices. I must look for something similar for a change from the regular rye crackers.
I love your lunch soup!! Yum!

Food's looking good Ruth, you're on a roll :)

I've never seen those slices before. They look yummy, hopefully oneday they'll have them over here :)

Oh dear - I had entirely too much beer last night, which was un-diet friendly in itself, but then of course spent today nursing a hangover and eating entirely too much bread....
As far as I'm concerned at the moment beer is the devil.

Is light beer GL friendly compared to normal beer? I don't drink but I'm just curious :)

I am sure you are back on track. :) I guess you just have to put the beer down to the 80/20 rule. :D

Ruth, I hope the week is going ok for you.

Hi Guys, been working nights for the past 4 days, hence the lack of posting.
To be completely honest nights have been very un-diet friendly with quite a bit of random snacking at work- most noteable caramel covered popcorn and crisps. BUT, having said that I guess I've only being eating one 'proper' meal a day, in the evening, which has been low GI (apart from one naughty evening of fish(shark again!) and chips from the chippie) so the scales have actually given me 1 pound loss YAY!
Went a full days shopping yesterday straight after I finished work in an effort to keep me awake all day so I could swop back into regular sleep patterns. Finished the chrimbo shopping which was ace. Unflattering changing room mirrors when you're been up 36hours and are super bloated are not ace. But a good motivation to get back on track with the diet!!
I'm going to start logging on myfitnesspal again, at least on the days where I'm at home, to keep a stricter eye on things.

Cali, I don't think the light beer is any more GI friendly! Light here just means lower alcohol - so its 2.5% instead of 4.5%. I think the calories are a bit lower (around 100/bottle) than normal beer because of the lower alcohol content, but it's not 'light' in the diet sense. I think low carb beer is probably going to be the most GI friendly of the bunch, and the calories are the same as light beer at about 100kcal. I just wish they did a low carb light beer! (I get drunk waaay too easily with full strength beer!!)

Last edited:
Back