Ruth's GI Diary

Ruth, you food looks lovely today, including (especially?) the brownie. Actually, I love the idea of a mexican chicken casserole. Would you happen to have a recipe for it?

I second the request for the mexican chicken casserole! Well, the recipe, since I don't suppose you can send the actual casserole to us through the internet. :)

Hi all, been a bit busy today so don't have time to post a message on everyone's threads, but don't think I don't love you guys still :)

Mexican chicken recipe is on page 6 of recipe thread :)

Today:
B- brekkie burrito with scrambled egg, boston beans, spinach in wholegrain stoneground wrap.

S- fruit strip, 2 x NS sweets

L- leftover mexican chicken with small portion rice/barley. Satsuma.

S- LF yoghurt. 5 x pistachio nuts

D- fresh egg fettuccine with homemade tomato/veggie pasta sauce and sprinkling of reduced fat cheddar (I really just HAD to have pasta today). 1 x WW brownie for dessert:D

Calories a bit higher today 1460

Should have more time for chat tomorrow hopefully :D

Food looks good Ruth! Keep up the good work :)

So... 1.5Ib down this am :party0038:

Obviously proving that I was eating portions that were too big before, and that's why weight loss had stalled!

I don't actually feel anymore deprived eating the small portions/keeping an eye on the calories. I think I eat whatever's there - so if its a big portion on my plate I'll happily eat it all without really thinking about how hungry I am. I've got to get into the habit of listening to my internal signals :)

So, I'm going to continue being more strict for the next couple of weeks, and then see how it goes from there.

Congrats Ruth on the 1.5lbs lost! That's awesome!

I need to be more like you:) Let's be more strict together! :)

Go Ruth! Go Ruth! Go Ruth! 1.5lb loss is fantastic, well done! I have exactly the same problem with internal signals, I just eat what's on my plate. I try to tell myself now that if I take a smaller portion and am still hungry 10 minutes after finishing it then I can go back for more but this (the going back for more) rarely happens.

Good luck for the upcoming week, sounds like you're really in the groove now! :D

:worthy:

So much for being in the groove- it's been a bad bad weekend :(
Went to work on friday morning, worked a couple of hours or so, then someone had called in sick for the night shift and they couldn't find a replacement. So I volunteered to do it, mainly because they were paying muchos monies :D. So I went home early from work, did some chores, had a good low GI day, had a couple of hours sleep, then went back to work in the evening.
Succombed to sweets and crisps ++ overnight :( - I hadn't had time to prepare my usual arsenal of low-GI snacks. Had taken a soup to have, but we were super busy and I didn't get time time eat it. Starving when I got home and ate 2 x cheese and beans toasties (it was grainy bread, but I think 4 slices of it probably violates the GI principles :D)
Had about 4 hours sleep then had to get up and get ready to go to a friends BBQ party we were going too. I think I had another cheese and bean toastie at this point, but I was very zombified and can't really remember....
Ate lots of meat and potato-based stuff at the bbq, plus a few pieces of white bread, and about 4 slices of cakes, and had LOTS to drink. O dear!
Felt very bloated and very pathetic yesterday. Was supposed to be spending the whole day studying (scary oral exam is now in less than 2 weeks!!), but instead spent most of the day on the sofa watching old episodes of grand designs. Ate a steak pie on the way home, some quiche for lunch, a bar of chocolate. then a large bowl of pasta with tom sauce and loads of cheese.
:(:(:(

Grrrr
Need to do better!

Wow you worked during the day and the night, that's tough! I think you did great for the work situation you were in.

No worries about the food you had, you can always eat low GL the next meal :)

Ahh Ruth! I know just how you feel but I also think that you must have felt truly zombified by the end of it all and personally when I am in that state I just look for any kind of food to sustain me. If it happens that the food within my reach is not GI friendly (or I can't sit down to eat a proper meal for whatever reason, or I just really *need* some pasta at that point) then that's what gets shovelled into the fuel burner. It's not reasonable to expect that we just won't eat if we can't manage GI friendly choices for whatever reason - that in itself wouldn't be good at all! Mixed into your food are some good choices - you didn't JUST eat cake or potatoes or white bread - so I think things could have been much worse actually!

I know the food coma/hangover and associated feelings are no fun at all, but those specific days are over now and all you can control at this point is how you move forward from them. And I know you can, you've had some brilliant days that demonstrate this. :D A few days of eating healthily (maybe make a 2-3 day plan and make sure you have all your shopping in) will get you feeling physically better too and set you up for the studying still to come. I'm always shocked at how badly my body reacts to unhealthy foods nowadays; this morning after yesterday's no-home-cooking extravaganza was *not* good.

Ruth, your day of lounging on the sofa watching re-runs of Grand Designs sounds like my dream day :D I never watch TV during the day as I am busy with my LO. I like keeping busy but I occasionally do hanker for a slouchy day ;)

I agree with Plum, getting back on the saddle and eating healthily will make you feel better.

Yesterday:
B- porridge/jam/skim milk
L- large bowl of shoestring fries with ketchup (don't even go there !:() and 3 x skinny lattes
D- 1 x sausage, lowGI pot mash, steamed veggie and gravy
S- 1 x grainy toast with peanut butter. Glass of skim milk.

Was actually too busy yesterday for much snacking, which I suppose lessens the shoestring fries damage :D. Still though...

Today so far
B- 2 x small slices of grainy toast with peanut butter
S- grainy trail bar and small handful of pistachio nuts.
L- tin roast chicken and winter veg soup

Will be at work this evening so will take:
tin minestrone soup, satsuma, trail bar.

Thank god for tinned soup- my saviour for when there are just not enough hours in the day!

Food looks great Ruth. Don't worry about the fries as all the other meals were great :)

I have a huge weakness to fries, chips, wedges, crisscuts, you name it. :(

Ruth, you do remarkably well for someone who does shift work. I would find it hard to be organised.

I don't like tinned soups but I know what you mean about having saviour food that you can always rely on. Everybody needs a stand-by food. I think mine must be cottage cheese but I went shopping on Sunday and guess what I forgot to buy? :rolleyes:

Medium couple of days- have been eating fairly low GI, but not really watching portion sizes or thinking that much about the diet. Had a few beers last night too : )
1 week until exam now, so I'm going to have a little hiatus from the forum until it's over. Diet-wise I think I'm just going to try and be relatively sensible and not go crazy eating crap, then pick it up after exam (and weekend away post-exams : )) Hope everyone does well over the next couple of weeks and I'll catch up with you all soon : )

Ok Ruth, I'm sure you'll do well on your exam. I'll be cheering for you :)

No worries about the diet, you need to focus on your studying. We'll miss you!

Ruth, good luck with your studying and your exams, I'm sure you will do well. :D Enjoy your weekend away afterwards as well! What fun! :) As Cali says, we'll miss you but look forward to seeing you back upon your return. :)

Good luck with the studying and the exam. :)
Enjoy the weekend away.
See you back here soon. Don't be a stranger :D

Back