Ruth's GI Diary

Plum, I bought the burgers from a small local company that sells them at the farmer's market. However, I did find this recipe that I'm quite keen to try:

Sweet Potato Burgers
Ingredients

3 cups baked sweet potato cubes
2 cups spinach
1 carrot, cut up into pieces
1/4 cup whole wheat [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]flour[/COLOR][/COLOR]
1/4 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup chickpeas
2 tsp. basil
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp. lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 tsp. [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]baking [COLOR=blue !important]powder[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Throw all of the ingredients into a food processor, except for the flour and oatmeal. Pulse in the food processor until well blended. Remove ingredients and place into a bowl. Add the flour and oatmeal. Place on a greased sheet and bake for 25 minutes, flipping at around 12 minutes. Broil for an additional 3-4 minutes to create a crispy crust.

Nutritional Info
  • <LI class=servings>Servings Per Recipe: 6 <LI class=servings>Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 126.8
I also found this one that looked delish, if a bit more time consuming:
2d52de3832a3405e_quinoa-veggie-burger.jpg

Spicy Chickpea Barley and Quinoa Veggie Burger
recipe from an old friendIngredients
1 small sweet potato, baked
1/4 cup dry quinoa
1/4 cup dry barley
15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons parsley
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 fresh red peppers

Directions
  1. Peel, dice, and steam the sweet potato until soft.
  2. Cook the quinoa and barley in separate pots.
  3. Remove the stem and seeds from the red peppers. Cut the whole pepper in quarters, the half a pepper in half, and roast all six pieces in the oven or on the grill.
  4. While the grains and pepper are cooking, in a food processor, combine chickpeas, sweet potato, parsley, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt and pepper, flour, and one tablespoon oil.
  5. In a separate bowl, mix the bean mixture with the quinoa and barley.
  6. Using hands, form into six patties.
  7. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a pan on medium heat. Brown both sides of each burger. Serve on a bun with melted cheese (optional) and a quarter of the roasted pepper.

Wow that looks really good!

I think you, me and Plum are all hanging out on the forum at the same time - how much fun! I don't get that much because of the time difference!

Thanks so much for the burger recipes Ruth! I'll let you know if I try one - both look yummy. How great that you can buy nice ones locally too!

Roller derby is pure awesomesauce. :D That's so cool that you want to give it a go. It is definitely in the top 5 of things I will try one day. :)

ruth frances said:
I think you, me and Plum are all hanging out on the forum at the same time - how much fun! I don't get that much because of the time difference!

Hehe yes I was just giggling to myself about this very thing!

I'm just taking it easy today, totm finally came. I went to the grocery store came back feeling exhausted. So I'm just reading my GL Bible and the forums :) But it is nice that we're all on at the same time. Hehehe you guys are big help! Thankyou!

I was just thinking it must be late for you Ruth!

Cali, sounds like you're looking after yourself today, make sure you eat some nice food too! Sometimes I spend so long reading about it that I forget to make any! :D

Ruth, you always come up with fab recipes. I'll paste these in the recipe thread so they are there for newbies.
Have a good sleep.

Sorry for slow reply. I was out walking, Tuesday is weigh in and I'm not letting totm give me a + weight gain:)

Sleep well Ruth!

Oh great Idea Molly! Thanks:) Now it'll be easy to access the recipe :) Did you put up both the burger and the oatcakes recipes up?

Pretty good day today other than the beer (is it weird that I drink more when I'm studying? I like to believe that it starves off boredom and increases brain power ;) Although I did accidently try this the other week with a full strength beer rather than a light one- that definately wasn't very productive! I think I would really miss light beer if I moved back to the UK- I don't really remember it existing back there, other than the disgusting 'no alcohol' kaliper. Light beer here tastes just like regular lager but is only 2.5 -2.9%, and less calories :). It's good for dieting lightweights like me :D)

Brekkie- porridge with NS jam

Snack- 1 square milk chocolate

Lunch- can of Campbell's Healthy Choice Roast Chicken and Winter Veg soup with 1 slice of grainy toast

Snack- satsuma

Dinner- dry fried chicken breast with Boston baked beans (I made another big batch up this afternoon), green beans, mangetout and mixed leaf salad.

Snack- 3 x light beers

So far today:

Brekkie- the usual porridge plus NS jam

Snack- 1 x square of milk chocolate, museli bar

Lunch- met a friend for lunch. Most of the lunch menu was very carb-y - pastas, sandwiches, gnocci etc, so I had scrambed egg on toast with beans off the breakfast menu and only ate one of the pieces of toast. 2 x skinny lattes

Dinner is in the oven - moroccan chicken, chickpea and carrot tagine. We'll probably have this with rice or quinoa and green beans.

Sounds really tastey Ruth! Also great work on picking the best choices while eating out:) It's always harder when there are so many temptations on the menu.

i know, I really wanted to eat that second piece of toast, and would have ended up picking at it after I'd finished, so I covered it with my dirty napkin - out of site out of mind!

Update on the day's diary:
Dinner- the Moroccan chicken tagine with quinoa, green beans and mangetout

Snack- couple of extra mouthfuls of left over tagine - really should have put that out of site too! Satsuma.

Last edited:
Back