Ruth's GI Diary

It must be very hard to regulate your intake of food when you are on nights. Well done on managing well. Hope this week goes well.

Food sounds good Ruth! I agree with Molly, that it's gotta be difficult with working nights, but you did great :)

You did really well with your food during night shifts :) Super, in fact.

thanks guys:). I'm really please on how the nights went foodwise - usually I graze all night on crisps and other junk, so I'm really happy that I resists the junk and grazed on healthy stuff. Feel a lot less bloated than I usually do after nights.

To answer earlier question, Zumba went well. I didn't completely die which was a good start :D. However, I had heard a few people say how it was so much fun that you don't even know you're exercising - this is NOT TRUE!! You definately know that you're exercising!! I thought it would be more dancy, but it's basically aerobics with a few more dancy moves. I think if it was just me, I'm not sure I'd bother going back, but I'm happy to go again with my friend because its more fun when there's 2 of you doing something. I did buy a deal from one of those group-buying websites for 8 classes in burlesque/pole-dancing/and booti-funk :D for me and another friend so I'll let you know how it goes when we start !

Anyhow, I'll get on the food, because this post seems to be getting epic!

Rest of yesterday:
Was a bit of a zombie post brunch so snoozed on the sofa til late afternoon and missed lunch. Tried very hard to stay awake all evening. Didn't have the energy to prepare much so had homemade pizza with onion/pepper/ham/mozarella

Brekkie today - 2 slices of leftover pizza from last night :eek:

Didn't feel like lunch
Late afternoon- skinny cow no added sugar english toffee sundae ice cream (not had these before, but at 110 calories a pot, I thought it would make a nice but not too naughty treat)

Planned for dinner- scotch fillet with mash (half low GI pots/half beans) and roasted pepper, carrots, butternut squash and onions with mixed leaf salad and mangetout.

Also hopefully going ice-skating this evening which should burn off some calories :D

Ohhh the burlesque/pole dancing thing sounds fun. Just seen pole dancing on tv shows and at dance clubs. But I gotta say I never understand how they hold themselves on a pole. I'm too chicken too try it too, since I'm clumsy and would bust my head open >_<

I thought Zumba was dancing, but dancing is a big workout too. Like with dancing with the stars, all the stars loose so much weight during the show. Ohhh that can be fun, taking up ball room dancing or some kind of dancing :)

Your dinner sounds yummy with lots of good veggies! I think ice skating will burn alot of calories :)

The pole dancing should be mega fun. Enjoy the ice skating.

Ruth, what do you use as a pizza base for your homemade pizza? I only ask as I don't find this a low-effort undertaking in my house! ;)

Hope you had fun ice skating, wheeeeee! :D

Ice skating was loads of fun- both me and hubby are reasonably good skaters, so I'm sure all that whizzing round the rink at high(ish) speed for about 1.5hours must have burnt of loads of calories. We first met as a holiday romance in Salzberg Austria in the winter, and we went skating on an open-air ice rink there, so it's always very sweet for us when we go skating again :D

I was bit a hungry when we got back so I had half a slice of grainy bread spread with left over mash (I know this sounds totally weird but I've loved it since being a child) and a satsuma.

Ah that's sweet about the skating bringing back such memories!!! Lots of cals burnt off too so the bread and mash( yep, weird) was well deserved.

Pizza bases- we did used to make them but as you say it's very time consuming, and then I found these relatively GI friendy ones in the supermarket. They're very thin crust large wholemeal bases by a brand called 'Bazaar'. They're made with wholegrain wholemeal flour and work out at 270calories per half a base. I usually add passata for the tomato bases, loads of onion and red pepper, sometimes some ham, and then a smallish amount of grated mozzarella. I reckon with the cheese the overall calories are about 450 to 500.
I found them in the section with all the wraps and pitas.

Oh my god- I was so busy telling you all about the skating and the pizza bases that I forgot to say that I've had a 1Ib weight loss on the scales this morning YAY :D. Although I still feel a bit frustrated that I still have another 4 pounds of the weight that I put back on a few weeks ago to lose before I can get going with the actual weight loss again. Why oh why did I eat all that crap? It's soooo easy to eat, then so hard to get rid of :mad:!
Just read that back and it sounds very negative, but I am actually really pleased about this week's weight loss :D
I think I need to set some new mini-goals (plum- inspired) for the next week. I'll have a think and update you later :)

Woo hoop to your pound down this week. Forget about the past, move on and maybe try to stay on better foods when exam stress hits again. You've really gotten back on track quickly and now the results are coming. Good girl Ruth!!

hehe- I'm not sure I'm convinced! Although when i tried Atkins a good many years ago, I think I was so desperate for something 'carby' that I could have gone for it.

It's been a beautiful day here- sun is shining and it got up to 20C. I think it might be a sign that winter is finally over, hooray! I hadn't really noticed how nice it was as I've been in the study all day, but I needed a couple of things from the shop so I walked into the village (sounds like exercise, but is actually only 2-3mins walk from the house!). I came out of the shop into the sunshine humming 'girls just wanna have fun' (it was playing in the shop) and decided to walk back along the beach. It's weird that even though its only a couple of minutes from the house, I completely forget it's there over winter. Anyway, sunshine, Cyndie Lauper, and sand underfoot have made me very happy this afternoon :). Sometimes its just small things isn't it?

Ah you sound in tip top form! You are right it's the little things that can mean most. We're having some pleasant early autumnal weather here in Ireland. It's relatively dry and warm with temps of17c.
Enjoy the weather improving and summer just around the corner .

Ohhh how romantic that you guys met on holiday and went ice skating! Awwwwwww!!!!!!

Congrats on the 1 lbs loss! I agree with Molly, just focus ahead, and don't look back :)

I wish our winters were like your winters, wanna trade??? Here if it's anywhere near 20 degrees it's considered summer like temps. Time to move to Aussieland:)

Your diary is making me smile today Ruth! WELL DONE on losing a pound, wooo! :D I love the sweet story about the skating and it sounds like you've had a lovely lovely day. Girls do just wanna have fun!

Thank you for the info about the pizza bases, I will see what I can find here. I'm afraid the cauliflower pizza base is too reminscent of Slimming World for me, everyone was obsessed with making things they weren't supposed to eat out of things they COULD eat, so instant mashed potato pizza bases, cakes made out of scan bran (sort of like extra cardboardy ryvita) or couscous, and so on. Not for me (but of course to each their own)! I'd rather have a smaller serving of the real thing personally and really enjoy it. :D

Back