Ruth's GI Diary

finally plucked up the courage to go back on the scales this morning. After 4-5weeks of naughtiness I knew it wouldn't be good:(.
So, I've put back on over half the weight that I've lost since starting this (5pounds)
I'm very annoyed with myself!

Trying to stay positive though:
:) At least I didn't put it all back on
:) Over 3 months no smoking now
:) Have been back on track with the diet the last few days

Mini goals for the next week are:
>Going to Zumba with my friend on friday
>no eating anything when I'm on nights that I haven't taken with me myself.
> no chocolate eating of any type

It's good that you're seeing the positive in things. That's really great that you haven't smoked in 3 months. With stress it makes not smoking that much harder, I'm proud of you!

Your mini goals for this week sounds great! I've always wanted to try Zumba, just don't have the courage to go workout with the public yet. Plus I don't think I have the energy to last a full class >_< Let us know how the Zumba class goes!

Wow that's great that you quit smoking Ruth! :D Your weekly goals look great too and I'm sure now that you're back on track with food the few extra pounds will go quickly.

Cali, have you got a Wii or other games console? The Zumba for Wii game isn't bad.

Hi Ruth

It's really important to stay positive, isn't it, especially with weight gain. It's frustrating and maddening and makes you go grrrr at yourself but there comes a point where you think I've just to get on with it. I guess what I'm trying to say is well done for keeping your eyes on the prize. :)

BTW, is that you in the photo? You look so pretty.

I have a Wii, my guy was looking at getting me Wii Fit, but I got a Yoga dvd instead. I didn't know you can do zumba on wii. Is it fun? Does it count calories etc?

Thanks Ashie :), that was on my wedding day- I don't normally look quite that nice :D

Cali- I've never done Zumba before, but I've heard its loads of fun! Considering I don't do any exercie at all, I'm not sure how I'll last either, but we'll see how it goes...:)

Yesterday:
Brekkie- 1 slice grainy bread with peanut butter
Snack- fruit strip and a satsuma
Lunch- Left over chicken tagine with spinach leaf salad
S- apple with 1 slice of LF cheddar
D- chicken breast with steamed veggies and gravy
S- 1 slice ciabatta bread :(. i slice grainy bread with peanut butter.

A bit too bready yesterday. Was having a bit of a downer about study (has not been going so well, feels like I'm climbing an ever increasing mountain of work) and was really craving chocolate hobnobs and other naughty things. Managed to fob myself off with a bit more bread than usual!

Today so far
Brekkie- usual rye/oat porridge with dollop St Dalfour jam
Snack- satsuma
Lunch - scrambled eggs (3 whites, 2 yolks, skim milk, herbs and spices), Boston baked beans and mixed leaf salad

Ruth, don't be so hard on yourself! Your bread intake was not too bad especially as you felt under stress. It did not lead to a binge either! Studying must be doubly hard without the cigarettes! So I think you are amazing.
I think your picture is lovely too.
Enjoy zumba! It seems to be so popular at the minute. Apart from a little walking, I don't do much exercise!!!
Keep at it , you are in control and doing fine.

So, popped down the shopping centre this afternoon to buy some track/yoga pants and some trainers for zumba tomorrow (you can tell how little I exercise by the fact that I don't own either of these things already !)
Felt very fugly in the changing rooms- unflattering full-length harshly lit mirror, and had to go a size up in yoga pants (why do they make them so tight and clingy?). Got some new balance tone up trainers- you know the ones that are supposed magically give you supermodel-like legs and butt as you walk about. I'm sceptical, but they were less ugly than all the other trainers there ( I think trainers are possibly in the top 10 ugliest things in the universe, along with cockroaches and oldies toenails...) and were special offer, so I'll give them a go.
Went to the supermarket in there to get a few bits (not the one I usually go to) and found a whole load of yummy low GI snacks to take to work when I start night shifts tomorrow night
Including....
Nairns oatcakes!!!

Also some new yummy looking nut/oat bars, some roasted chickpeas and sugar free hard sweets. Got some onion and chive philly light to go with my oatcakes too.
Anyhows, back to study...

irish molly said:
Ruth, don't be so hard on yourself! Your bread intake was not too bad especially as you felt under stress. It did not lead to a binge either! Studying must be doubly hard without the cigarettes! So I think you are amazing.
I think your picture is lovely too.
Enjoy zumba! It seems to be so popular at the minute. Apart from a little walking, I don't do much exercise!!!
Keep at it , you are in control and doing fine.

I completely agree with everything Molly said. :) Also I think the olive oil in ciabatta must bring the GI down a bit.

What an exciting supermarket find with the oatcakes etc. I love it when that happens. :D

I wish I knew why yoga pants were like that. I always have to go up a size too and wind up very cross about the whole thing. The toneup type shoes can be great though, I have a pair for when I am up to going for a walk and I do feel the difference in my leg muscles. Really comfy too once you get used to the rolling/bouncy heel-toe walking!

I agree, no need to be so harsh on yourself Ruth :) Everything else was really great, and Ciabatta seems a lot better than a normal slice of white bread.

No worries about the yoga pants, I do yoga and I don't even own a pair of yoga pants :p I'm sure you'll do well at Zumba class :)

Big bonus to find lots of Gi friendly stuff. It gives you a boost when you find something new.
Well done on progressing with the exercise gear.

Thanks guys, you're all lovely :D

Rest of today:
Snack- 2 x oatcakes with chive and garlic philly (Yum). Satsuma
Dinner- Autumn Veggie, Lentil, Bean and Spinach Soup with 1.5 slices of grainy bread
Snack- 1 x oatcake with philly and a satsuma.

A spot on day today , Ruth. Well done.

Plum- if you remind me next week I'll post it up for you. I'm a bit brain dead/busy over the next few days (on night shifts, plus study)

Yesterday:
Brekkie- porridge with NS jam

Lunch- out with a friend, there weren't really any low GI choices so I compromised on a tomato lamb pappardelle. There wasn't actually much pasta in the dish, but it was all in quite fatty I think. 2 x skinny lattes

Went to Zumba early evening with another friend, then we went to her house for dinner, so I didn't really much option on the low-GI front. However, I should have stopped myself from eating around 15 wafer crackers with brie and quince paste (they were so yummy I couldn't resist!). Followed by 2 x sausages with mash gravy and green beans.

Went straight from there to work, so I'll list things as times from now on as I don't know what you'd call meals in the night ;)
2am- nut bar
3am - handful of roasted chickpeas and a satsuma
5am- fruit strip and a satsuma

Didn't actually get the chance to eat my 'lunch' (left over chicken tagine), but I've left it in the fridge at work for tonight.

10am - slice of grainy bread toast with LF spread when I got home.

8.30pm -1/2 homemade pizza with a small amount of mozzarella and a few low GI-potato wedges. Spinach leaves salad. Small glass of skim milk.

So for overnight tonight I've got the chicken tagine, a nut bar, 3 x satsumas, a LF yoghurt and the roasted chickpeas.

My main manta for tonight is from my weekly mini-goals- ' no eating ANYTHING at work I've not brought with me myself'. Alot of the staff bring in snacks which they put at the main workstation so we can all munch along when we're working. And I can never stop at just one donut/mini chocolate/chip'n'dip/piece of cake etc.... I will resist!!!:D

Food sounded great Ruth! Also you did some exercise so that helps to burn too:) How did you like Zumba?

That's a really great goal to only eat what you brought to work. Keep up the good work!

No worries Ruth, I'll try to remember to remind you! :D

Good luck with your goal! It is so difficult when people bring things in isn't it? Especially if they are somewhere you can just grab a bit as you graze on by. But I know you can resist! :D

Homemade pizza sounds very nice!

Well done Ruth for sticking to your mini-goal this week. It must be so hard to do night shift - do you get more hungry because your body clock is all over the place? And do you have to eat when you can? You are doing great!

so carrying on from last post:
sat night:
2am 6 jelly sweets (minor deviation from goal not to eat anything I hadn't taken myself- still I did manage to resist the giant box of crispy creme donuts !)
3am nutbar and fruit strip
4.30am chicken carrot and chickpea tagine
6am roasted chickpeas
10am piece of grainy toast with peanut butter

4pm slice of quiche lorraine (whoops!)
8pm beef and bean chilli with basmati rice and mixed leaf salad
1am nutbar.
3am satsuma
5.30am beef and bean chilli with a very small amount of rice
7am low fat yoghurt

Nights finished hurrah!
Met friend for brunch at 11am - large ham, cheese and onion ommlette with 1 slice of plain grainy toast.

Hopefully will be able to get back to proper eating now- body always feels a bit weirded out on night shifts.

Back