Ruth's GI Diary

Well it sounds like it was a hectic day. You are meeting it head on by looking at what you need to do.
Any time I found myself stalling or gaining, it has always been portion sizes and too many snacks or inappropriate snacking.
As you have long days this does prove difficult. The porridge went all over the place for a couple of reasons; it needs to be in a big bowl as it rises up a lot during cooking, the length of cooking depends on the wattage of the oven. I cook 50 g porridge in a 700 watt oven for about 3 mins in a big bowl.
Try it again in a big bowl and stand by the microwave and check it every 30 secs after the first minute. This way you will find how long to cook it for. I had a few disasters initially but now it's fine.
If you are too busy to take a break, why not keep a couple of carman bars or something like them handy. Make a well filled wrap and have that, you can leave a bit of the tortilla on the plate to cut down White carbs. Bring a tub of bean stew, either reheat or have cold. Two or three minutes in the microwave and another two or three to eat. Surely you can find that much time no matter how busy you are.
When all else fails just keep sipping water through the day, 2-3 litres. At least, these are a couple of ways I managed.
You are doing great as you are not losing sight of your goal you just need to refocus!!

Been getting back on track the last couple of days and feel better for it :)
Have been at home which makes things easier!

Yesterday:
B- 1 x small slice homemade grainy bread with peanut butter

L- met friend for brunch. Had scrambled egg and bacon on turkish roll. The roll wasn't low GI I know, but the whole thing was very filling and kept me going til dinner

D- beans and veggie chilli with basmati rice/barley mix and leaf salad.

S- small handful of mixed nuts

Today
B- porridge

L- beef stew soup with 1 x slice grainy bread toast with LF spread.

S- small handful mixed nuts. 1 x skinny latte at a cafe

D- chicken pasta bake- with 1/2 chicken breast, 1/2 portion of fresh spinach and ricotta agnolotti, tomato, pepper and garlic sauce with mangetout and leaf salad.

Thanks for the porridge advice Molly! I don't have a microwave at home so I didn't really know how to cook it in one. I think I used too small a container after reading what you'd put.

"Make a well filled wrap and have that, you can leave a bit of the tortilla on the plate to cut down White carbs. Bring a tub of bean stew, either reheat or have cold. Two or three minutes in the microwave and another two or three to eat. Surely you can find that much time no matter how busy you are." - he hee :D, I'm an emergency doctor- so I usually can't find that much time unfortunately! Snack bars work best as i can munch them whilst I'm writing patient notes - I just need to get round to going to the supermarket and geeting some more in. Organisation is definately the key :D

Lol "would I rather you sort my heart attack or take time for the bean stew???" ermmm heart first so carman bars it is for you!!! As an ED Dr then planning food is really tough for you. Stock your bag with low Gi bars and after that keep at the water. You seem really back on track so you are doing well.

Ruth, how are you doing this week?

Where are you hiding?? Hope all is well!

Ruth are you gone AWOL on us hon??

Wow, that's an intense diary!´ I'm glad you got your visa. I hope your doing ok, looks like you haven't posted in 3 weeks. I look forward to reading about your update :)

hello lovelies, sorry I haven't been around - long runs of night shifts plus these bloody exams have left me without the time to even think about the diet, let alone write about it! First exam in 4 days :argh:, then second lot in 5 weeks. I'm hoping after this first one is done I might be able to get back to something approaching sensible eating... I seem to have adopted the policy that since I'm not on the diet at the moment I should eat whatever I want whilst I've got the chance :17729:. Which general means eating WAAAY more crap than I would even normally. NOT a good policy I know, but I cant seem to stop. Can't even look at the scales at the moment....:D
Anyways, not too bothered at the moment as all focus is on study. Back to being sensible next week!

I know how hard it is to study and do exams, alot of times there's barely any time to cook. Glad to hear you're ok, and can always start back when you're done with the exams.:)

Good luck with your exams, and stop by once and a while to let us know how you're doing :grouphugg:

Great to know you are well. Good luck with the exams. As Cali says, you can get back on track after the studying.

So I'm back. I've been a very naughty girl these last few weeks....:sigh: Haven't been near the scales but jeans that were loose are now tight! However, first exam sat and passed yay :D. There's five weeks til the next exam, plus a string of night shifts heading my way, but I'm going to try and not let them get in the way of eating healthy. The idea is hopefully for a bit of weight loss, but most importantly for no more weight gain!

Brekkie- porridge and jam
Lunch- large portion of lentil and veggie soup. 1 slice grainy bread
Snack- fruit strip, satsuma
Dinner- 1 sausage, mash (half low GI pot half beans), steamed veggies and gravy

Congrulations on passing your exam:) Exams and studying for them are very stressful to the body and mind. Glad to see you're back:) Your food looks yummy and great!

Well done on your exam! :D Good luck over the next 5 weeks - studying and working at the same time is amazing and finding the energy to think about your food choices at the same time is even more so. :)

thanks Cali and Plum :)

Undid all of yesterdays healthy eating by polishing off most of a large (200g) bar of hazelnut dairy milk last night whilst watching tv. Knew I shouldn't, but did it anyway, then felt supremely guilty.

Compounded the naughtiness by eating the remaining chocolate (about a normal sized bar's worth) for breakfast today ! Oh dear. However, as I got up quite late, I didn't have any other breakfast, then ate healthily for the rest of the day, so I figure today wasn't too bad.

Brekkie- chocolate

Lunch- sweet potato veggie burger on seed and grain roll with salad leaves

Snack- went out for coffee, but ended up having a light beer instead :)

Dinner - large portion of mexican chicken (deep casserole dish filled with passata and spices, diced chicken, peppers, onions and borlotti beans then oven baked) served with small-medium portion of tex-mex rice (rice cooked with herbs, spices and diced squash), mixed leaf salad, mangetout, and a small dollop of lite sour cream.

Snack- satsuma

It's ok Ruth, you did great the rest of the day and that's what counts:) That chicken dish sounded yummy. Mmmm mmm good.

Ruth your lunch and dinner sound amazing! I'm drooling at the thought. Do you mind me asking how you made the sweet potato veggie burger (or is it something you bought)?

I'm sure that several of my GI books say that if you're going to have something naughty, chocolate is the best choice, so looking at it that way you're all good? ;)

Spent an exhorbitant amount of money on some posh roller skates last week. All this study has left me clothes shopping deficient so I think the prospect of buying something caused me to go a bit overboard...

I really want to join the local roller derby team- I went to watch the finals a couple of weeks ago, and its the only exercise I've EVER seen that I've thought, hey that looks like sooo much fun!!!
Being serious is for grownups ;)
Still I've got a long way to go before I'm good enough at skating for tryouts - but hopefully I'll get a whole lot fitter in the process:)

Attachments

• bont_h1.jpg
    bont_h1.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 24
Really cool that you want to try roller derby! I'm sure roller skating is really great exercise, and lots of fun. I used to love roller skating and rollerblading back in the days :)

I'm sure you'll make the team with some practice :)

Back