Saltdog's Magic Shrinking Formula

Well, after taking some advice, I've decided to keep a daily food diary. I'm guessing it'll give me a chance to open my plan up to advice or even possibly help those looking for ideas (not that my eating habits are all that exciting!) I'll start by listing what I had to eat yesterday. Tomorrow I'll list what I had today etc., etc.

11/01/12
Breakfast
2 slices of wholemeal bread from a 400g loaf (Healthy Extra B)
Appriximately 2 teaspoons of Flora Light Margarine (2 Syns)
1 Muller Light Yoghurt
1 Banana
Glass of Water
Lunch
Omelette Pizza - 2 egg open omelette topped with:
Honey-Roast Ham
Red Jalepenos from a jar (free I think)
42g Reduced Fat Chedder (Healthy Extra A)
Mixed Crispy Green Salad
Splash of Fat Free Vinaigrette
Can of Diet Coke
Dinner
1 Roast Chicken Breast
Mashed Potatoes
Boiled Carrots
Gravy (Reckon it'll be about 1-2 Syns)
Can of Diet Coke

That's it really. Must say, the omelette pizza was lovely. Those Discovery Red Jalepenos are absolutely brilliant! For me, breakfast is pretty much always the same. I like it and it seems to fit in the plan and leaves me satisfied till lunch. I do vary lunch a bit but not by huge amounts. Dinner is normally always a new recipe every night though. Keeps life interesting.

Hopefully when all you SW experts take a look at my diary you will tell me I'm doing it right. If not, please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Kev

Is it the extra easy plan that you're following?

As long as 1/3 of your meal is superfree, I think that plan looks great. How much water do you drink each day?

Yes Emmy, I've been sticking to extra easy. I've not looked in to Green and Red days very much but to be honest I don't really see the benefit. Do you get more healthy extras or something? The other thing I'm not sure about is the 1/3 superfree food. Is it essential that you have that? I just thought it was food which was free on all 3 SW diets plans. Will having a salad with my jacket potato and cheese make me lose more weight than having it without the salad. It wouldn't be the first thing I don't understand about the SW diet. I already think it's some kind of witchcraft! Lol. I shouldn't be able to eat so much nice food and still lose weight. It's not natural.

Thanks for the input though Emmy. Always appreciated and gratefully received.

Oh, and I drink about 1.5-2 litres of water a day on average.

Thanks Emmy, I have the lists of superfree foods with the information I got when I joined SW Online. The thing I was wondering about was if it was essential to have the 1/3 superfree food. I couldn't see how adding lettuce to an already healthy meal will make you lose more weight than not having it. I can see it as a great way to increase the size of a meal but not necessarily its fat-reducing capabilities. I'm probably wrong though. It wouldn't be the first time! Lol.

Anyhoo, my food yesterday was:

Breakfast
2 Slices Toast (HexB)
2 Teaspoons Flora Light (2 Syns)
Mullerlight Yoghurt
Banana

Lunch
Jacket Potato
42g Reduced Fat Cheddar (HexA)
I Snap-Pot of Baked Beans
Apple

Dinner
Pasta
Lean Minced Beef
1/2 Jar of Dolmio Chunky Mediterranean Veg Bolognese Sauce (6.5 Syns)

Syns for the day - 8.5

Exercise for the day - 2 mile walk completed in 36 minutes.

The way it seems to me is that it's trying to get you to fill up on these things that are lower in calories to try and curb the need for snacking on unhealthy stuff. I don't know if it's essential to have the 1/3, I always try and make sure I do just to be on the safe side lol.

Food plan looks fab by the way :D

Thanks Emmy, I have the lists of superfree foods with the information I got when I joined SW Online. The thing I was wondering about was if it was essential to have the 1/3 superfree food. I couldn't see how adding lettuce to an already healthy meal will make you lose more weight than not having it. I can see it as a great way to increase the size of a meal but not necessarily its fat-reducing capabilities. I'm probably wrong though. It wouldn't be the first time! Lol.

Hi Kev

I think the 1/3 super free is so you don't overdo the other stuff.

ie I you were going to eat a huge plate of spag bol eg (any anything really) which covered every inch of a huge plate you would be taking in quite a lot of fairly enery dense foods. However if you put salad on 1/3rd of the plate you energy dense food would go down to 2/3rds of what it would have been. (Due to lack of space on the plate even if not in you:))

However if you would only have served youself the 2/3rds portion in the first place I don't think it's as important.

Have a good w/end.:D

Thanks Emmy and Patsy. You've both sort of confirmed what I thought. I have nothing against having the superfree foods if it goes well with what I'm eating but I'm not going to just have them for the sake of having them. I don't really eat snacks between meals so I don't have a problem with filling up nor do I have massive portions. My issue while gaining weight was eating the same amount as I am now but of the wrong things. That's where SW has really pointed me in the right direction. I will be paying particular care not to overfill my plate though. That's a good point Patsy.

I made the decision at lunch time today to give myself a mini-goal. I think it may be quite a challenging goal but then I suppose there's no point in making a goal too easy. There wouldn't be enough to drive you to succeed then. Anyway, my mini-goal is to lose 1 stone by Valentine's day. It's not that I intend anything significant on that particular day but it's about the right distance off to make it a realistic challenge. I must go and add another ticker to my profile........

Kev

Thanks Emmy, I was getting bored with just looking at my ultimate goal weight. I'm going to a wedding in March so that'll be another challenge after I do the Valentine's day one. :D

Love you Rocky Horror quote. Have you ever been to the live shows. (appreciate you current location might make that a bit of a challenge but thought I'd ask):)

Have a good weekend.
Morning Patsy.

Sorry I didn't get on to replying at the weekend. The weather was lovely so I got out as much as I possibly could with the wee fella. Had a lovely time but unfortunately Monday, as always, brings the fun to a crashing stop!

I have indeed seen the live shows Patsy. I went in London years ago and caught it in Aberdeen more recently. I've never done the whole lingerie thing. Maybe when I'm all slim and pretty! Lol.

Right, I've not updated over the weekend but it's a new week so I'll get going again. Weigh in tomorrow and I'm actually looking forward to it.

Yesterday's food:

Breakfast:
Wholemeal Toast (HexB)
2 Teaspoons Flora Light (2 Syns)

Banana
Lunch
Omelette Pizza with 42g Reduced fat Cheddar (HexA)
Apple

Dinner
Sausage and Vegetable Caserole (From latest SW magazine) (1.5 Syns)
Handfull of frozen oven chips (Probably about 7 Syns I reckon)

Syns for the day: about 10.5 or so. Just because I was lazy and finished off a bag of frozen oven chips rather than make SW ones.

5th week weigh in this morning. 3lbs off! I was quite pleased with it but I feel I might be getting slightly spoiled with Slimming World. Normally on a diet I would look for 2lbs off every week and be happy at that. Anyway, it's taken me to under 17 stone so it's bit of a personal milestone there. I've still got a long way to go but the difference is that this time I'm enjoying the journey.

The last time I was fairly slim was only a couple of years ago. I separated from my wife three years ago and started losing weight right away. Rejection was a very successful diet for me but not one I'd like to go through more than once! Lol. Anyhoo, I got right down to 15 stone which in the last few years is a great achievement for me. I even ran a half marathon in the summer of 2010. It all went downhill from there though. Since I'd met my goal of running a half marathon, I lost interest in running. Other exercise quickly went by the wayside then too. I started enjoying my food a lot more again and didn't think about the consequences of how much of the wrong thing I was eating. It's a new beginning now though. I've not started running again yet but may do as the evenings get lighter. I was going to do a couch to 5k programme just to get back in to it. I've been upping the pace of my walks recently and sometimes I feel like just jogging. That's got to be a good sign.

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure why I never told that story earlier on or even why I told it now. I rarely plan what I'm going to type and often end up filling space with random thoughts. I feel that my head is still very much in the right place to keep this journey going. I'm still excited about each week as it begins. Oh, and I still think I'm on track for my mini goal all being well so fingers crossed I'll get there in time!!

Kev X

I nearly forgot to write my food diary for yesterday. This weight loss thing has made me a bit forgetful obviously. Just realised I have successfully lost the half stone I put on over Christmas and New Year. It took me the same time to lose as it did to put on. That's got to be good!

Monday 16th January

Breakfast
Usual toast, banana and mullerlight

Lunch
Jacket potato with tuna mayo and 4 triangles of extra light Laughing Cow
Mullerlight
Apple

Dinner
Pasta with a lean mince, free bolognaise sauce

Total Syns for the day: 4 (for the marg and mayo)

Back