Extra Easy Salty snacks

Yep, someone in my group was having the crisps and whilst the words food abuse weren't used, the consultant did say SW don't allow things like this as a free food.

I get this food abuse thing, and yes I agree with it and I don't eat free foods as snacks (some people in my class have mugshots and noodles as snacks ?!) But sticking up for people who do, as slimming world website and my own consultant doesn't state clearly about this!! Honestly, if I hadn't joined this forum I wouldn't even know about it, and the 3rd superfree isn't stressed enough at my class too. But back to the food abuse, why isn't this stated more? How are people to know that they shouldn't really have a mugshot as a snack, they should only be for a meal, when it isn't clear for us to know about this rule?

Having a mugshot as a snack isn't the same as the food abuse. What the food abuse is referring to is when the primary use of a food is changed eg. couscous rather than being eaten as couscous is changed to be used as a flour substitute to make a cake which makes it easy to overeat.
All the ee literature does state to choose super free food first when snacking. Obviously if you need a snack and eat an apple or some carrot sticks first and are still not satisfied then by all means move onto something more substantial to satisfy your appetite.
SW wouldn't recommend using these recipes such as couscous cake, homemade crisps etc and if eaten in moderation and they don't affect someones weightless then that is fine, its just when someone eats way more of something than they would in its usual form, because the use has been changed that it becomes food abuse. (I think free food abuse would be a more appropriate term)

Not only will you not see these things on the website, but if someone mentions them in group they will get told they are food abuse.

Also I'd never heard of any of these things till i came on THIS site. So thats probably why its not stated more on the SW site.

Having a mugshot as a snack isn't the same as the food abuse. What the food abuse is referring to is when the primary use of a food is changed eg. couscous rather than being eaten as couscous is changed to be used as a flour substitute to make a cake which makes it easy to overeat.
All the ee literature does state to choose super free food first when snacking. Obviously if you need a snack and eat an apple or some carrot sticks first and are still not satisfied then by all means move onto something more substantial to satisfy your appetite.
SW wouldn't recommend using these recipes such as couscous cake, homemade crisps etc and if eaten in moderation and they don't affect someones weightless then that is fine, its just when someone eats way more of something than they would in its usual form, because the use has been changed that it becomes food abuse. (I think free food abuse would be a more appropriate term)

Lol thanks. I do think things like this should be covered more in class! When we have a taster night, the table is full of pasta and sauce 'quiches' and things like that, which I've been reluctant to try as I don't like the thought of them :/ the point that snacking should go like superfree-free-syns isn't really talked about either! Is it in everyone elses classes? I wouldn't know half the stuff if I hadn't joined here

Oh and I know it states the 3rd superfree and the snacking on superfree on the website and in our books but I think that should be stressed more in class too

Superfree snacking is in the book, it says something like "where possible make superfree your first choice for snacks!

Quiches with pasta in are okay but using pasta in sauce in a quiche is not, something which is widely debated in our group.

These things often only crop up in my group when someone says they are eating xyz etc....

Yeah I suppose if the consultants had to cover all things like that the group would never end! I do agree though that maybe it should be covered in the new members talk so everyone gets the same info as they come in.
I must admit though that other than couscous cake, none of the other culprits have been brought up in class. It's generally on forums and such that these recipes get passed around so I think a lot of it goes over the heads of the consultants. X

We've discussed this many times in group - cous cous cake; smash dumplings/scones (we won that one and kept them syn free!!); and one other I can't remember but you use it to make tortilla style crisps . . . when I think of it I'll post it!

Just a thought... if it was covered in the new member talk then it would give people the idea to try things they may not otherwise even consider... I've seen it on here, cous cous cake gets mentioned, food abuse gets discussed and people go away saying "oh I'm going to try this one......"

Ignore me... I didn't see page two :rolleyes: question answered above-going to bed!!

Surely, if you limit yourself to ONE potato to make the crisps then it isnt food abuse?

If you made five potatoes into crisps and ate them it would?

So, yes, I feel that if you dont overeat the snack and stick to the same amount you would have anyway I would PERSONALLY class it as free xx

You seem to miss a fairly obvious point. If you were the kind of person who could stop at 1 potato, you'd be fairly unlikely to need a slimming plan in the first place. . SW deem these types of tweaks as food abuse to protect your weight loss. They don't do it to be killjoys.

I do agree with Kingleds..... it's food abuse whether it's one or ten potatoes.

It's looking for substitutes for those foods which we can't have lots of e.g. crisps, nuts, cake etc - they are not real foods!

jaylou said:
Just a thought... if it was covered in the new member talk then it would give people the idea to try things they may not otherwise even consider... I've seen it on here, cous cous cake gets mentioned, food abuse gets discussed and people go away saying "oh I'm going to try this one......"

Yeah good point, its one of those things that people only know they shouldn't be doing if they say it to their consultant, but only get the idea to try from forums and stuff. Difficult one..

Okay, okay I see your point, I dont do this anyway I prefer to syn a packet of Quavers they taste much better and less fuss to prepare! ...

wnt2byummymummy1 said:
Okay, okay I see your point, I dont do this anyway I prefer to syn a packet of Quavers they taste much better and less fuss to prepare! ...

Defo!! Give me real crisps any day!

And to the poster I would stick to salty snacks such as Quavers (4.5 syns) Aldi do packs of monster much, frazzle and cheese wheel style crisps for 4.5 syns too x I find one bag satisfies me for the day x

My problem is that I don't like quavers or monster munch etc :( never really have!! I did consider trying the homemade crisps purely because I'm sick of fruit and crudités and eggs. Surely it's better to make homemade crisps that have no added chemical rubbish in them instead of just buying a bag of cheese puffs? Personally I'd just syn them. How many syns can a small potato be? It's got to be around the same as a bag of wotsits but better for you.

My broad bean habas fritas are not very nice BTW. Lol. They need the deep fat fryer. Oven cooking is just not doing it!!!

Back