Sander's Dukan Diary

The sleeplessness is catching - I also have CDs virus :) And now its TOTM.... argh! But I lost 2 pounds so I'm still relatively happy! The virus has completely killed my appetite, with the sore throat and intestinal symptoms I have been eating a lot more porridge and soup. Waking up super early is making me eat earlier in the day and go to bed earlier in the evening.

Tonight we are going to the school play and they are serving dinner beforehand as a fund raiser, so I am hoping for some sort of meat and vegetable. If its a casserole it will be difficult. Tomorrow we are attending a banquet, but I have already checked with the organizers on the food options and I will be fine at that one :) We get to dress up, so I went to the back of my closet and picked out two fancy outfits that I have never worn because they were Christmas presents from well-meaning relatives that were too small for me but that I never got returned and were too pretty to give away. They both fit!

Go You! Have a good time at the play and fundraiser. Sorry to hear you aren't feeling great either :ambulance:

Hi CD - yeah this bug is not resolving itself - I've been sick since Oct. 17th. The doctor says its just a viral infection and to just rest, drink lots of fluid, and take antihistamines to keep it from settling in the sinuses.... I think my family just continually mutates the virus once we get it and keep on passing it back and forth until all of the variants are exhausted :) Right now its a major sore throat and ear aches along with the associated sniffles and sneezes

I thought this just happened in my family! Hope you're feeling better.

Popping in - the virus has been making me miserable so I haven't been posting. I actually decided to add some non-Dukan food in this week just in case it was my diet that was keep me sick, so I added in 2 servings of fresh strawberries, high in Vitamin C and zinc and one serving of nuts a day this week. I feel better, so its helping or I am just finally beating it and it happens to coincide with the diet change. The berries and nuts were part of the diet my nutritionist had me on years ago where I also lost weight. That was basically the only difference between Dukan and that diet. But the nutritionist diet had me transition from very restricted to whole foods within 12 weeks and I have been doing Dukan a lot longer and without the dairy components. So I don't expect a loss this week, but I am hoping to feel healthy again by this time next week!

Still miserably sick, got much worse on Saturday - but now it feels like the flu versus a cold - sneezed at least 100 times in two hours, nauseous, feverish, achy, dizzy - sigh... spent all of yesterday in bed and barely ate anything - today had some broth and jello and it feels like I ate a bag of nails.

Finally got over the flu - just in time for Thanksgiving :) I had a 2 pound loss last week, so I was doing OK going into the dinners! First dinner, had 2 slices of turkey, 1 spoonful of squash - (big serving spoon, so probably between 1/4 a 1/2 cup) and 1 spoonful green beans. Second dinner, 2 slices of turkey, sauteed green beans and mushrooms & sweet potato souffle (it was yummy but definitely contained sugar, I just had 1 tablespoon). Next day 3rd dinner - 2 slices turkey, 1 plain sweet potato, green salad, 1 tablespoon jello mousse (I made it, had to see if it turned out as good as my mother-in-laws). My major downfall was the wine, I had far too many glasses and gave myself a wicked migraine. PP today, tomorrow, and maybe Wednesday ! Also I convinced myself that a sweet potato was the same as a butternut squash - when I know its not - don't eat them in cruise (do what I say not what I do)

GRRR - I am struggling right now - and I know its my own fault. My mind keeps on wandering off and trying to convince me to switch to a different diet plan for the last 11 pounds - which is completely ridiculous. I also wish I was losing another 25 pounds, because I still look and feel much too heavy. My scales are saying I've gained, which I expected coming off the holidays - it just took a few days to be reflected. As I ty[e this words I remember other miniminers who were getting close to target saying many of these same words - so I guess I'm on track :) I can't read Mirjam's diary anymore - her method looks like such a quick fix and I really want that right now. CD is motivational, I want to go to Scotland and hang out with her family for a week. And ChrisR and I need to go clothes shopping after Christmas - ok - I'm fantasizing here - but anyways I'm not gonna give up, marching on along!

Hiya, i wondered where you had gone. glad to hear your feeling better at last.

Im so glad its not just me that feels like that re the diet! I am fantasising more and more about the food i am missing at the moment! i also feel much too heavy and would like to lose at least another 7lbs on top of the 12 i still have to go. i need to lose it all off my belly though!

i am having a break from this diet from 9th december. i am going out on my work christmas meal and intend to have a lovely meal. I dont drink so it will only be the food i am 'cheating' on. I will get back on he diet after christmas and i hope that i can get back on as easily as i did the first time!

Stick with it not long to go now!!

HI Jezz, long time no hear :) Getting back on is hard after taking a "holiday" break. I think for me having the birthday, christmas, and new years all looming is making it harder to stay committed. My whiny brain says if I switch to a diet with more variety I can have more festive dishes and not feel so deprived during all these celebrations, my logical brain says switch to conso for the month of december or maybe for good and just be happy where you are. I'm still wavering on making the decision. Weigh-in day today, we'll see where the official weighers put me at and then decide.
I look at gallettes and porridge and muffins with dread now. I get repulsed at the thought of eating yet another serving of any type of meat. Lately I've been making them all into soups because that sounds palatable where just meat and veg doesn't right now. Maybe I've got a slight case of depression going... I've been in a lot of pain, horrible migraines as a had a flare up of my head and neck injury after I got over the flu. I went to the chiropractor in desperation and got a little relief. My regular doctor just gives me muscle relaxers and pain killers which I don't prefer. Ah well, onward and downward hopefully!

Woe is me - I gained 2.5 lbs. This morning started TOTM, so maybe those pounds are just water <hah>
Made myself eat a gallette this morning and promised myself to stay strong this week. No giving in to temptation to have just one piece fruit or a small bite of potato/bread/cake - whatever.

GRRR - And ChrisR and I need to go clothes shopping after Christmas - ok - I'm fantasizing here - but anyways I'm not gonna give up, marching on along!

Where shall we go shopping Sander? Please dont give up its not long to go in the grand scheme of things. :bighug:xxx

Going shopping - Chris you should know - you've got the fashion advisor! I went to the local mall and was completely dismayed by the clothes choices. I guess I'm getting to be a clothes snob in my old age, but the quality of materials and construction just doesn't seem to be there. I tried on several outfits at Macy's and the cut was all wrong - too short in the legs and arms, too short in the waist. And the seams, buttons, and zippers all felt flimsy.Good news was that I was down to a size 12 bottom and it was slightly loose. I still am not loosing much from the top half, so that is still sitting at a 16 just to get the bust covered. But the waist and hips have dropped considerably. So I guess I will have to invest in knit tops, since the button down blouses look like maternity tops! Right now its too cold to worry about much, so I am sitting here wrapped up in fleece and blankets at my computer wearing my way too big yoga pants that I haven't replaced yet - I am the height of fashion!

Had a good day yesterday, stayed on track 99% which is good for me lately. My scales show the water weight has gone away and I am back closer to target - 10 pounds to target this morning - I went through the Dukan site again and put in my stats as a new starter and they now said I could get down to 162. Hmmm.... First I'll get to 172 then see if I want to try for another 10 pounds.

Back to loving my porridge - I started adding about an eighth of a teaspoon of cardamom to it along with the sweetener and cinnamon. That perked up the taste buds! Also started adding new spices to the meats and have found them much more enjoyable - I guess I had gotten into too much of a rut.

Today's food
Porridge & turkey bacon
Baked chicken with red pepper, oregano, bay leaves, and a touch of lemon zest
Smoked Salmon
Roast sirloin rubbed with mustard, paprika, dried onion, thyme, and marjoram

Hey :)
I think you should feel very proud for still trying to lose weight after being so ill, you probably are a little depressed and this time of the year is hard. Changing spices is a great idea, and I'm definitely going to try the cardamom. I was wanting to give it all up yesterday but I was very honest with myself and, whilst I am MUCH thinner than before I am definitely not where I want to be and know I can be yet. We should both do lots of motivational "virtual" shopping for clothes for when we are thinner :). Remember to feel good about yourself hon. :wavey:

Sander - I'm sorry to read you've been having a tough time and it must be horrid when soup is the only Dukan food you can fancy. Whereabouts are you in the U.S., and what sort of weather do you have to deal with? I hope your health problems improve soon.

Many of us have ben struggling in this run up to Christmas but we all agree that we feel better once back "in control" so here's hoping you can get there too. With one eye on the forthcoming festivities, sometimes those "voices" can play tricks on us but I am still intent on being as reasonable as possible between now and then!

Good luck and don't be a stranger!

As for being in a rut foodwise, why not have a go at someone else's menu?! Something I thought of doing myself when I restart in January! I too tend to do the same old things day after day!

Thanks for all the kind thought - I added my weight chart to my signatures, so any newbies that are out there take note - the plateau started when I fell off the wagon on holiday and its been a slow slog since then :) Part of that is that my self-discipline started wavering constantly, not just the bio-chemical process of the diet. I also got to the point where external voices were starting to give me compliments and negating my responses of "thanks, but I've still got a long way to go" with a "oh no, you'll be too thin!" I respond with, "nah, I wish" and a laugh, but those kind of comments feed the part of my personality that drives me to overeat. Anyways, hopefully the graph will help me regain focus and get through the last 6 weeks with a line like the first 6 weeks!

Gosh - its been 3 days since I last wrote in my diary. I just feel like I'm out of things to say. I have been super busy writing for work, so I guess I don't have many non-work brain cells firing. Food wise, ehhh, not horrible, but a pure PP day has been rare - I keep on giving in and having some veg at supper. I think because we have been having so many guests and outings for the holiday season I don't want my plate to look so empty with just the protein on it. But no prohibited carbs. And my logical brain keeps on saying "How can one serving of steamed broccolli/asparagus/cauliflower really de-rail your day when you haven't had any veg the rest of the day? It doesn't save well and the rest of the people aren't eating it - how can you throw away the veg when it is so expensive....gulp" I don't know if it does or not, but I feel pretty good - we'll see Thursday when I weigh in. I know I shouldn't bother to make it when I am on a PP day, but I feel like such a bad mom to just serve meat and carbs for dinner, so I always put a couple of healthy veg dishes on the table. And the guys eat maybe a tablespoon and half, just enough to keep me from nagging them!

Hi sander, I'm afraid I can't view your tracker on my iPhone so not sure of your progress, but would it be suitable/possible to go onto conso for the run up to Xmas and then back to Dukan properly after the holidays? It might make life a little easier with no associated guilt of not following plan properly. That way every day can be a PV except for your one pp and just choose a quiet day for that with no guests or social stuff so you can really have a proper one.

Good luck!! Keep posting (when your brain is less frazzled - I know how that feels!!) :)

Back