Sandra's maintenance diary.....

Monday's food

B branflakes and milk, small OJ, two coffees
L wm soft roll with egg mayonnaise, Vitamin C drink
D rump steak, mustard sauce, jacket potato, not sure what veggies yet edit spinach. Finished off with quite a large bowl of rum n raisin ice-cream, I'd left it out a bit long hence it was far too easy to get out of the carton and into my bowl! Yummy

Paul has been shopping to M&S and ignored every special offer there is and we have missed out by about £15! We'd be broke if did the shopping regularly.....and we still haven't got enough food in for supper tomorrow as he hasn't bought any meat! 7ucking useless......

Last edited:
You got your shop then ;) . Looks good! xx

hahaha What's he like!

It got worse, turned into a huge row, I burst into tears and he said that he couldn't deal with 'my squawking' (his exact words) and told me to go away until I could talk like a reasonable person. When that eventually happened it's all still my fault cos how on earth should he know that we have no food in the house, all the stale bread and the one egg having been eaten.......

Worst row in 20 years, when I said that how come I have managed to have a hugely successful career, my own company, travel the world and manage our lives completely unaided all this time he just threw it in my face and said, yes and look what happened to you.......breakdown!

Doubtless we will get over it, found out later that a good friend had died suddenly, aged 57, on Thursday the same day that we got her Christmas card. Suddenly everything gets put into perspective.

Happy Christmas ?!

Tuesday's food

B branflakes and milk, small OJ, two coffees
L wm sandwich (of sorts) made with a 100% steak and onion burger, Vitamin C drink
D chicken Kiev .......

Oh for goodness' sake Sandra ... what are they like?!!!

Me and DH had 'words' last night too .... nothing like the scale of what yours sounds like but it had the same sort of theme ... how come things only run smoothly when I'm in the driving seat and why can't you see what's under your furklin' nose!! I'm quite sure they really are all exactly the same - unless they're gay!!

Lots of ****hugs**** for you honey. I think we just have to accept that we have to be in said driving seat but I know sometimes it can feel too much!! Especially when we're incapacitated in any way :(.

Very very sorry about your friend - I know what a huge shock and leveller that can be ... lots of ***hugs*** for that too :eek: xxx

Ahhh chick! :hug99: Im not really too sure how to comment about your row, expect he sounds like an idiot still expecting you to do everything even when you have limited mobility!

Sorry to hear about your friend and like Jan said, what a leveller it can be. Hope you are ok :) xxx

Thanks....I'm old enough and ugly enough to understand that men will never change.

Maybe losing our friend Anita will have made him think a bit today....he has just rung up to see what shopping he needs to get on the way home!

I think that we'll get through but if he doesn't pull his socks up me and the cats are decamping to the French house, even if I have to have a bloody taxi the entire way.

I think that we'll get through but if he doesn't pull his socks up me and the cats are decamping to the French house, even if I have to have a bloody taxi the entire way.

Sounds like a plan! ;) hehe xx

7ucking useless......

Love the quote Sandra.
Sorry to hear the sad news about your friend, it certainly does put things into perspective.

Men eh - they can be such pathetic creatures on times girls. Phill and I haven't had words, but its come very close. We both have a bad cold, aching bones, cough and sore throat, but when we came home today from all the Xmas shopping (food shopping) I spent about 40 minutes putting everything away, sorting out the Turkey in the fridge. Cooking dinner, cleaning the kitchen etc, while he sat on his fat A**E complaining that I left the door open and he was getting cold - aww bless him, my reply was - I am F*****G ill too and not just him. He did offer to make a cup of tea while I went in the shower to get ready for nightshift, no sleep at all this afternoon. I told him where he could stuff his cup of tea! LOL, boy I felt good. :D

Sorry Sandra - I didn't meant to be telling you things you already knew - just trying to empathise :eek: No offence meant :)

I'm sure it won't come to you decamping - but just knowing you can (and WOULD!) probably helps the self-esteem!!

Sounds like he knows he has a few bridges to build though ... ? xx

hahahah there must be something in the air with men lately! :sigh:

Sorry Sandra - I didn't meant to be telling you things you already knew - just trying to empathise :eek: No offence meant :)

I'm sure it won't come to you decamping - but just knowing you can (and WOULD!) probably helps the self-esteem!!

Sounds like he knows he has a few bridges to build though ... ? xx

Oh Jan, I didn't take offence, didn't even think anything of it until I saw your post so please don't worry!

Tonight's supper dishes are still in the sink and there they will stay! He is still complaining about being feverish but won't even consider going to the doctor......Mary I know exactly where you're coming from.........

Have cried and cried and cried today and it's got me nowhere, just sore eyes and a bloated face so time to pack it in and think positive.......tomorrow anyway......

Men..........can't live with them and can't live without them:sigh:

Hmmmmm .... not 100% sure about the can't live without 'em bit ;) :(

Sorry you've been so upset honey - really - it's so sad ...

22146-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-Yellow-Emoticon-Face-Crying-Tears-Of-Sadness-And-Depression.jpg

and really not right at this time of year BUT more common that you might think ...... because we're all expected to be lovey dovey etc it makes it even harder for some people. I just want as any people as possible to know that we understand if they have issues, and will be here for them as much as possible as I hope they'll be there for me/us should the same thing happen. ****hugs**** xxxxx

As I type that I find myself thinking that it's almost inevitable that those of us with partners will need that support at some time over the holiday period ... Jeeeeeezzzzzz how sad is that????!!!!! Maybe the way we pair up into families/communities needs a rethink!! xxx

Last edited:
Thanks Jan, you sound like a much wiser woman than me! TBH I'm usually quite strong but I think that this op has just knocked for six, it's the fifth major operation since 2005 so I should be used to them by now but after each one I fall apart temporarily:(

I've never been anaemic before and I wonder if that's exacerbating things?

Thanks all for 'listening' xx

I know you're a strong woman Sandra - that's obvious - as is the fact that you are used to being in control and able to be on top of everything that's going on. The fact that you haven't been able to keep up with all that lately is in no way your fault, but you feel as though it is by the very fact that you're not there - at the top of your game .....

Anaemia will not be helping you as indeed 5 ops in 5 years will take their toll. It takes at least a year to 18 months for the body to get over a general anaesthetic ... and how many have you had?? So I'd say you're not doing too badly when it comes down to it!! FGS - you are allowed to 'fall apart' when you've been through a general anaesthetic which is in itself life-threatening, and then the recovery period which is a heck of a lot longer than people think it is!!! Give yourself a break :) xx

Ah jan you always know what to say :)

Ok day today.......good session in the hydrotherapy pool and got Paul to finish work early so that we could do the Xmas food shop, which felt like another physio session!

Today's food

B branflakes and milk, two coffees
Snack large kitkat! Got back from physio and felt in need of a sugar boost....
L 2 slices of toast with pate, Vitamin C drink
D home -made cottage pie, baked beans
Hot choc and 2 Lindor Xmas tree decorations

Saw some white choc cookies that I really fancied at M&S but......left them on the shelf! Wish that I could do the same with the Lindor.

Back