Extra Easy Days Sarah83's 2016 Food Diary

Monday 11th July - Extra Easy

Breakfast: Gluten free bagel (I know not strictly a HEXB but I semi-follow a gluten free diet and the bread is extortionately expensive so I make do with what I pick up reduced), Laughing cow extra light triangle (1syn), cherry toms

Lunch: SW recipe for Salmon and wild rice salad from their website. Made with rainbow trout, veggies and a spicy soy dressing.

Dinner: SW burger, cheese (half HEXA), 'fried' onion, SW chips, salad. Salad cream - 1 syn, ketchup - 1 syn

Syns/snacks: Milk in coffees - half HEXA, banana, cherries, nectarine, caramel freddo (4.5), Ferrero rocher (3.5)

Total syns: 11

Last edited:
Well I'm super pleased with yesterday - my first 100% day in months and months. I nearly faltered - I really fancied comfort food for tea and could so easily have had a takeaway so I decided on a SW burger and home-made chips which was delish! Followed by a couple of cheeky choccies within syns.
Now if I can manage a day like that at least 4 days a week then I think I'll be ok :)

Tuesday 12th July - Extra Easy

Breakfast: Gluten free bagel (HEXB), Laughing cow (1), cherry toms

Lunch: Rainbow trout and rice salad

Dinner: Turkey chilli, rice, cheese (half HEXA), tomato and onion salsa

Snacks, syns: Skimmed milk dash in coffee (half HEXA), banana, cherries, nectarines

Total syns: 1!!

Last edited:
Go you :D

That's awesome Sarah... well done :D

Good morning. Here's to day 3!!

Wednesday 13th July - Extra Easy

Breakfast: 2 sm slices GF bread (HEXB), cherry toms, 2 Laughing cow extra light (half HEXA)

Lunch: Turkey chilli, rice, tomato and onion salsa

Dinner: pork steak, creamy mushroom sauce, buttered new pots, sugarsnaps, carrots - 3 syns

Snacks etc: Milk in coffee (half HEXA), cherries, egg and spinach protein pot, 30g maltesers (7.5)

Total syns: 10.5

Last edited:
I was just reading through my old food diary on here from 2010 - boy did I love my excuses then!!
It was a year when I managed to lose 2st which I was really pleased with (before pregnancy and motherhood put it all back on again!), but I had a lot more time to cook and experiment then (but on the other hand more time and money to go out to eat much more).
I've looked through some of my old meals and strategies and hoping to take some inspiration from them... we'll see ;)

Sounds like you are well back on track :)
What is an egg and spinach protein pot if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you!
They're little pots you can buy in tesco, boots, pret (probably more) of hard boiled egg and spinach leaves - great for a convenient syn free savoury snack.

Changed my mind for tea tonight - really didn't fancy a stir fry. So I pan-fried the pork I'd defrosted and made a creamy mustard mushroom sauce with it, with some veg - delish!
And I've just weighed out 30g of maltesers for my evening treat for 7.5syns :)

Thursday 14th July - Extra Easy

Breakfast: GF toast (HEXB), poached eggs, butter (2)

Lunch: Sainsburys tinned spicy tomato pasta (1) with added cherry toms and peppers

Dinner: Garlic chicken and chorizo pasta with salad and mayo- 4.5 syns. HEXA for cheese.

Snacks etc: Skimmed milk in coffees x 3 (1.5), SW roulade with strawberries

Total syns: 9

Last edited:
Oooh Sarah, tell me how to make a creamy mushroom sauce! Was it syn free??

Unfortunately not - but it was low syn at least.
I 'fried' some sliced button mushrooms in fry light, then added some garlic. Then I added some crème fraiche. The syns for this varies massively, but the one I had was 1.5syns per tbsp. I know a lot of people use fromage frais but I'm not a fan - I don't find it stable enough for sauces and it's a bit too thin and tangy for my liking too.
Then I just added a spoonful of Dijon mustard - 0.5syn per tsp. Again you could probably remove the syns by adding mustard powder but I prefer Dijon.
Really simple and yummy :)

Well I weighed today after 4 days of 100% and I've lost 1.5lbs.
Although I know this is ok (particularly if I can keep it up every week), I can't help but feel a little bit disappointed. I haven't been this good in a long long time and even though I wasn't particularly good on the weekend, I really hoped for a bit more.
I also haven't touched a drop of wine in 4 days, which is a really impressive for me, I love a glass of wine in the evening to unwind. I also hoped this would show a bit more on the scales.
So I'm going to try and be a bit better this weekend, they'll never be 100% and I accept that because I like to have a drink on the weekend, and if we go out for food I don't want to just make do. But there are 9 meals to be had in the next 3 days - if I can make most of them SW friendly then I'm surely part way there.

Now on a Friday, particularly when I'm working from home like today, I have been known to have a bit of a binge. I'm going to really try not to today, and I made the half syn roulade yesterday so I've got the rest of that to scoff when the munchies get me.

Happy Friday everyone :)

Friday 15th July - Extra Easy

Breakfast: Omelette with cherry toms and cheese (half HEXA), ketchup (0.5)

Lunch: SW sausages, potato boats with cherry toms, spring onions, cheese (half HEXA), ketchup - 1.5

Dinner: Hache steaks, sautéed new potatoes (HEXB for olive oil), salad or veg

Snacks etc: Skimmed milk in coffees x 2

Total syns: TBC

Last edited:
I might have to give that mushroom sauce a go, sounds yummy!

Be happy with your loss, 1.5lb is good! AND did you gain 1.5lb a week on your old diet? Probably not so give it time, keep at it, it will all work out. As they say in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - "Everything will be alright in the end, if it is not yet alright, then it is not yet the end" :p

I might have to give that mushroom sauce a go, sounds yummy!

Be happy with your loss, 1.5lb is good! AND did you gain 1.5lb a week on your old diet? Probably not so give it time, keep at it, it will all work out. As they say in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - "Everything will be alright in the end, if it is not yet alright, then it is not yet the end" :p

Thank you. I am happy as I know if I keep it up at that rate, I'll be at target at the start of next year.
However this was a week when I was in control with nothing to scupper it, of which there aren't many! Next week for example I am away with work so I have 1 dinner, 1 breakfast and 1 lunch all of buffet food (with healthy choices as well as yummy unhealthy choices), then Thursday onwards we are visiting my Dad for 5 days on the Isle of Wight when I know I won't be good, and I accept that - it's life - it just means I have to be really good on days when I can!
Now to munch on a punnet of cherries and try not to think about chocolate... ;)

Well I'm back, and I haven't had a very good couple of weeks food-wise. :eek:
LUCKILY it hasn't shown on the scales though and I've miraculously managed to stay the same! Probably because I've half been very good, half been failing miserably!
We had a lovely few days away on the Isle of Wight visiting family, and while I did try to semi be good, food did involve croissants, pizza, lemon meringue pie, and wine... along with lots of salads :p
We got back Tuesday and since then my meals have been really good, but the wine and occasional evening chocs haven't been.
So I've picked up the new SW magazine, and I'm going to do a meal plan ready for a Tesco delivery tomorrow. I also need to make sure I do some batch cooking on the weekend - our routine is all out of whack at the mo due to school holidays which means that definitely on 2 nights a week for the rest of the summer I have no time whatsoever to cook, so I need to make sure I've got plenty in the freezer that just needs re-heating (thank you Bolognese and curry the last 2 nights!).
I have quite a few obstacles coming up generally over the summer which will prevent me being squeaky clean so my objective is to try and be as good as possible on all the other days/meals to limit the damage.

Happy Friday! :)

Happy Friday Sarah! Well done on maintaining even though temptation has been everywhere! Get your batches cooked and you'll be back on track in no time!

Back