Scan Bran Recipe Thread

Here's my go at the scan bran fruit tea loaf - loved it!!!!

SPICED FRUIT SCAN BRAN TEA CAKE
-------------------------------------
5 scan bran
large cup of strong black tea ( brew 2 teabags for about 10 mins)
28g dried mixed fruit (4 syns)
2 beaten eggs,
half teaspoon baking powder,
5 tablespoons sweetner,
2 tablespoons mixed spice.

Soak your scan bran and dried fruit in the tea for about 15 to 20 mins then drain the extra liquid mix in the other ingredients then put into moulds and bake for about 25 mins. I made it in a loaf tin and as it was 9 syns for the lot I cut it into 9 making it easy to syn at 1 each. So, if not using it as heb then your scan bran is 5 syns

D7A5728B-47BF-4EC2-AF5D-9F6C8FD7750B-2149-000003E8BA4A75EA.jpg

I've just made my first scan bran cake, yay! I made it with the Caribbean coconut options (2 sachets) which was nice. I think I may have overcooked it slightly in the microwave as it was a little bit dry. Maybe I didn't soak the scan bran in enough water. Any ideas on how to make it more moist?

It was very nice though and ever so filling! I'm completely stuffed now xx

Pete’s Carrot & Ginger Scan Bran cake (2013)

(Based on a SW recipe. 8 ½ syns for the whole cake)

Serves 8

Ingredients

1 tsp Allspice
1 tsp Cinnamon
2 Carrots, finely grated (s) (sff)
2 tsp Ground ginger
3 Fresh eggs (ff)
5 Scan bran (1 Heb)
5 tbsp. Sweetener
25g Stem ginger, finely chopped

Method

Break the scan bran into pieces, place in a mixing bowl, pour boiling water over them, and allow soaking for 1 minute, Mash together then draining any excess water.
Blend the scan bran with the carrot, sweetener, ginger, allspice, cinnamon & stem ginger.
Break the eggs into 2 bowls, separating the whites, add the yokes to the mix, whisk the whites until it forms peaks, and carefully fold into the mix with gentle actions so as not to lose the air in them.
Place into a microwave proof dish (I used a 23cm silicon one). Microwave for 15 mins (600w microwave) adjust time to suit wattage of microwave, cook until a metal skewer comes out clean when inserted into the cake, remove from the cooking dish, place on a rack & allow to cool.
Cut into 8 pieces, making each slice, just over 1 syn each.

Scan Bran Ginger cake-2 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
choc & orange scanbran cake

5 scanbran soak hot water, drain & mash
3 eggs
3 tbls cocoa (or 1 cocoa & 1 serving of choc orange options)
7 tbsp sweetener
tspn ish orange extract (I got this from sainsbos in the baking bit, but it has no oil in like the orange essence does in the smaller generic flavour bottles so from what I can see its syn free??)

mix it all together (like any other scan bran cake) and pour in a silicone loaf tin. nuke in the microwave for about 4 to 4.5 mins.

I got some lemon flavour quark from sainsbos too (but plain would be just as good) added sweetener & some more orange extract

3 syns for the whole cake if using scanbran as HEXB, 8 syns for the lot if not :)

It really is blimmin lovely ! xx

choc & orange scanbran cake

5 scanbran soak hot water, drain & mash
3 eggs
3 tbls cocoa (or 1 cocoa & 1 serving of choc orange options)
7 tbsp sweetener
tspn ish orange extract (I got this from sainsbos in the baking bit, but it has no oil in like the orange essence does in the smaller generic flavour bottles so from what I can see its syn free??)

mix it all together (like any other scan bran cake) and pour in a silicone loaf tin. nuke in the microwave for about 4 to 4.5 mins.

I got some lemon flavour quark from sainsbos too (but plain would be just as good) added sweetener & some more orange extract

3 syns for the whole cake if using scanbran as HEXB, 8 syns for the lot if not :)

It really is blimmin lovely ! xx

Just to let you know, the chocolate peppermint cake is lovely! I used the same recipe but used mint instead of orange, yum! :)

Made my first ever scan bran cake tonight. Wow..
I got the scan bran in holland and barret on their bogohp offer and have to say was quite impressed.

Made it as my hexB with a choc options (2 syns for the whole thing). Very filling.
Think I may buy some choc philli to spread on it next time

CHOC CHERRY BAKEWELL SCANBRAN CAKE

5 scanbran (boiling water, soak, drain,mash as for other cake recipes)

5 tblsp sweetener

1 sachet options indulgence choc cherry (3 syn)

2 tblsp cocoa powder (2 syn)

1 tspn almond essence (or 2 if you like it more almondy)

1 tub activia cherry yog

2 eggs beaten

1. mix the sweetener, options,cocoa,almond together with the mashed scanbran. add the activia and mix well.

2. Add in the beatten eggs and mix well.

3. pour into a silicon loaf tin or cake tin and nuke in the microwave for approx 4 mins (until it just comes away at the sides) I usually bring mine out when the centre top is ever so slightly 'sticky' as it does tend to firm up as its cooling.

HEXB + 5 syns for the whole cake OR 10 syns if not using as HEXB

enjoy! xx

5 tblsp sweetener

1 tub activia cherry yog

2 eggs beaten

1. mix the sweetener, options,cocoa,almond together with the mashed scanbran. add the activia and mix well.

3. pour into a silicon loaf tin or cake tin and nuke in the microwave for approx 4 mins (until it just comes away at the sides) I usually bring mine out when the centre top is ever so slightly 'sticky' as it does tend to firm up as its cooling.

enjoy! xx

Love the sound of this one! Xx

Scan Bran Coffee Hazelnut Cake.

Mix 2 eggs with 4 tbsp of sweetener, 1 tsp of coffee & a sachet of Highlights Hazelnut hot chocolate, soak 4 scan bran in hot water then drain & mix with the egg etc. microwave for 8 minutes. 6 syns for the whole cake & 3 syns for the portion shown in the photo.

image-3000094403.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

glad ive found this thread... usually make coffee cake and occasionally add the hazelnut one or add almond essence ... looking forward to some different ones!

5 tblsp sweetener

1 tub activia cherry yog

2 eggs beaten

enjoy! xx

sounds nice!!

Do these cakes turn out better from the oven or microwave? going to give this one a go but saw about doing in oven also?

thanks.. Yeah looking at others here theirs are more fluffy and good.. maybe over cooking mine?
heres one before..

View attachment 96672

Mmm? possibly, I usually set mine at 3.5 mins first....then check it every 20 seconds. I take it out when the centre top is ever so slightly sticky as it keeps cooking as its cooling down....I've found adding some yogurt to the mix (as in the cherry bakewell one makes them extra moist, just experimented today with a choc & strawberry yog....smells pretty good but got to taste it yet lol!) xx

Pete’s Ferrero Rocher -2 (2013)

29 Syns in total 36 made less than 1 Syn each

Ingredients

2 Pack of Options (Belgium Chocolate) (White chocolate) (4 syns)
3 level tbsp. of nutella (12 syns)
5 scan bran (5 syns)
25g Mixed nuts (8 syns)
Warm water

Method

Place the scan bran & nuts into a food blender and reduce to small pieces. Place in a glass bowl & mix.

Place 3 level tbsp. of nutella into a microwave proof dish and microwave for 30 secs (600w), remove and add warm water as required to make a paste.
Add the scan bran and mix until the liquid has been totally absorbed.
Using a ½ tsp scoop, scoop a small portion of the mix & shape into balls.

Place on a tray and place into the fridge to chill. When cold remove from the fridge.
In two bowls one with white chocolate & the other Belgium chocolate, roll into the colours of your choice!
Rechill if required.

SW Ferrero Rocher (Small).JPG

Back