Scan Bran Recipe Thread

and they are very more i want more and so did my oldest grrrrrrr

I make these using ryvita and nutella as I can't stand scan bran! i make a massive batch of small bite size ones and keep them in the fridge for when i need a sweet fix, usually wrk out at 1/2 syn per cake!!!

Scan Bran Christmas Cake

Christmas bran cake
Syns: 8½ Syns for the whole cake!
You will need:
5 Scan Bran (soaked in Boiling water)
2 beaten eggs
1 tbsp golden syrup
2 level tbsp mincemeat
5 level tbsp sweetener (or to taste)
1½ tsp mixed spice
Grated zest of a lemon for extra zing (optional)

Soak the scan bran, then drain.
Mix all the ingredients together and microwave on high for 7 minutes.

Syns: 8½ Syns for the whole cake!

Just made this cake. It's lush. Totally recommended.

Last edited:
I just soaked the scan bran in boiling water, then drained it then blitzed all the ingredients together in a bowl.

I was really nice. Hope this helps.

Just reading through again - how do you 'work it out'?

I'm going to use 5 scan bran, abit of water, 2tbs nutella and maybe 1 golden syrup if I can find it.

I used a ryvita ( Dark Rye ) instead of scran bran got them in the fridge as we speak i was looking to try and get a slightly nuttier flavour and added peanut butter as well and they seem to have come out ok

Total ingredient list:
5x Ryvita Dark Rye ( 10 syns )
2 Tblsp Smooth Peanut Butter Reduced Fat ( 7 Syns )
2 Tblsp Nutella ( 8 Syns )
1 Tblsp Golden Syrup ( 2 Syns )
1 Tblsp Water

18 from the mix = approx 1.5 Syns per sweet.

great idea! Just made these and they are delicious :)

Just reading through again - how do you 'work it out'?

I'm going to use 5 scan bran, abit of water, 2tbs nutella and maybe 1 golden syrup if I can find it.

5 scanbran = 5 syns
2 tbsp nutella = 8 syns
golden syrup = 4.5 syns

17.5 syns in total, so almost 1 syn each if you split it into 18, or even less syns if you use the scan bran as a HE B.

Funny enough I got the recipe yesterday and it says the following:

Fererro Rocher 1/2 syn each + 1 B choice

5 scan bran or 4 ryvita
2 tbsp choc spread
16 mini cake cases

Soften choc spread in microwave for a few seconds. Crush Scan bran/Ryvita with rolling pin or blitz in food processor. Mix with choc spread evenly coating all the bits using a teaspoon. Divide mixture between the 16 min cases . Put in fridge to harden and you may store in freezer to make them hard and this takes them longer to eat lol! Yummy!!!!!

Just made these when it occured to me, how do you syn...licking the bowl :p

Thank you!

Thanks to all in this thread - just had to make these.

I used 2tbsps of Nutella and 5x scan bran, made 16 so 1/2 a syn each plus a HE B.

What a brilliant way to include scan bran - yummy!

Thanks all! :)

I have solved the problem of an open jar of nutella!!

I found a single porrtion pack (15g = 1tbsp) in our local Morrisons.

It looks like this Nutella Hazelnut Chocolate Spread by Ferrero

So 2 of those (depending on your recipe) and 5 scan bran = 16 delicious balls of yumminess at 1/2 syn each. No measuring problems, no waste and no temptation! :)

I made these yesterday using 5 scan bran & 2 tbsp choc spread & they were nice, but very crumbly. My lot all said they needed a bit more choc spread, but that would add more syns. Wonder what I could use instead to make them a bit more moist?

Although having said that, another tbsp of choc spread would add 4 syns, so spread out over the 16 chocs that's only 1/4 syn each :)

I made these today. I used 2 weetabix, 2 spoons of Nutella, 1 spoon of Golden Syrup and 1 spoon of water.

They are really nice and only 1 syn each, yeah

Back