Self help book recommendations

MaxieP

Hi,

I'm on Day 5 of LL so don't know much about what to expect in terms of the counselling and its content. However, I would like to further explore some issues, possibly in a self help book.

Does anyone have any recommendations? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Maxie

Hi,

I'm on Day 5 of LL so don't know much about what to expect in terms of the counselling and its content. However, I would like to further explore some issues, possibly in a self help book.

Does anyone have any recommendations? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Maxie

Hi Maxie :)

There are many many books around on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and I think it's worth just having a browse through their descriptions.
A lot of them will include interactive stuff, logs, quizzes etc as well as explaining the actual theory and style of intervention.

Have you tried just typing CBT into Google? Might be worth a go.....:D

Cognitive Beavioural Therapy for Dummies is a good basic CBT book. There are several good books on Transactional Analysis - Parent, Adult, Child stuff. Also NLP for dummies is good. The for Dummies series is good as you can dip in and if you like the subject you can move on to something more heavyweight. However you may prefer to cover the stuff in class first and then decide what you would like to investigate !

My goodness ... where do I start??? There are several great books out there...not all focussing on CBT but that would help you to gain a deeper understanding of yourself and also your eating issues.

Being completely honest, these books are great but you may find that they are in conflict with doing a VLCD because many of them advocate not dieting but focussing on the issues.

For starters.....

Dr Phil's Ultimate Weight Solution is fabulous and helps you to get really clear about what it is that you want from losing weight and how your current weight has served you a purpose.

Geneen Roth has written several books and all of them are good

The CBT book that LL Counsellors tend to use is called Mind over Mood by Christine Padesky and Dennis Greenberger. It is a good book and contains lots of great exercises that are not always given the necessary time or coverage when in a group situation.

Let us know how you get on....

PS: Am moving this thread into the Bring Your Head Inside forum so that others wanting to do the "head work" can benefit.

Back