Sick of Evans

Mrs Pink

Banned
Was in Evans today (Remember when it was actually called "Evans Outsize" ?! Yikes) and what a bloody depressing place it is - full of (mainly)disgusting clothes. I HATE having to shop there! I am SICK of it! I WILL soon be able to shop in Monsoon, Per Una, Warehouse, etc - I WILL!!
Mrs P:cry:

To Mrs. Pink

You go girl!!!

I too abhor Evans - I have never seen so many shapeless, boring garments in one place before :eek:. It is a ghastly place and because of that (and probably because I have been fortunate enough not to have needed to shop there) I avoid even looking in the window as I walk past.

I feel that to be seen entering the shop is to become stigmatised!!

It doesn't need to be like that but the fact that they 'shovel' in the 'awful stuff' by the tip load and cram it altogether on badly arranged rails is one of the main problems. It's like they don't care or perhaps that we overweight people don't deserve a nicer shopping environment. Why do they seem to think that we are all dressng for a funeral or attending our own 80th birthday party?

Monsoon here we come!

Keep the faith Mrs. Pink - it won't be much longer now.

Fatpossum

I have to admit the Evans here has some really nice stuff - its changed a lot since a few years back. Its nice and big and bright and has the same kind of atmosphere as any other shop. I have noticed tho that the stock does seem to vary a lot from store to store. Maybe we're just luckier here :)

I am looking forward to shopping in other stores as I will have more choice but I've got to say that I haven't found Evans to be too bad in the last few years. They do have some really nice clothes and I find the shops spacious and airy - I've also never felt stigmatised walking in or out of the shop.

Definitely can't fault Evans on their jeans for people with 'short' legs, they're always a good fit and there are different styles and cuts.

Hate to think where some of us would have been without Evans, instead of putting them down I'd rather give them a clap for the clothes and service they've provided and I hope more stores open up for people who are size 16+ and for larger men too as it must be even more difficult for them.

Cath

I'm really glad not to have to shop in Evans any more - just to have more choice if nothing else. I do think they've vastly improved over the last few years though. I'm lucky in that one of my closest Evans is the flagship store at Marble Arch - which is really nice. I went to the opening and they were handing out champagne and chocolate - heh heh - I thought there would be a stampede but it was just me knocking it back!!

They do seem to do loads of really generic and nasty tops, but they also have some quite nice stuff in there too - and I still find their shoe department useful as they are so much wider than elsewhere and I don't have very ladylike feet. :D

Yesterday I went into a designer shop (Browns) as they were having a sale. I could only fit into one item (a pair of jeans - size 12 - YAY!) but everything else in the shop was too small - even all the other size 12 stuff (of which there was very little - it was mostly size 8s). :rolleyes:

Anyway, the trouble with reaching these kinds of sizes is it opens up a whole new world of retail and I, for one, have been severely reprimanded* by my other half!! :D

* ie cautiously approached... ;) :D

I've had to rely on Evans for so long that I feel 'at home' in there .... but I have to say that I'm a bit ticked off with the way they've shifted their focus to being soley a 'high fashion' store with those god-awful crinkly shirts (sorry - but if I owned one I'd just HAVE to iron it flat!) and low-rise jeans (mmmm lovely in a size 28!)

There IS a place for this stuff - great for younger gals who are too big to shop in Dotty P's but I also think they needed to retain a few classic lines for us more reserved dressers. I'm not talking crimplene floral dresses but some plain bootleg stretch jeans (used to be my faves - went with everything) and some classic stylish tops ... not T-shirts festooned with glitter or 'Beach Babe' and other such mock-inducing sentiments splashed across them.

I'm grateful they were there when I was a size 32 and had nowhere else to go but it'll be nice to have the choice to shop elsewhere :)

thats my goal not too go in that shop again, im 4 foot 11 & size 22/24 so everything looks awful on me, they seem to think everyone is 6ft.

thats my goal not too go in that shop again, im 4 foot 11 & size 22/24 so everything looks awful on me, they seem to think everyone is 6ft.

I'm 5' 1" and I know what you mean ... when I was a size 30/32, I couldn't buy anything with long sleeves as they practically dragged on the floor! I'm sure they think that the bigger you get, the taller you get (and the longer your arms grow!!)

not T-shirts festooned with glitter or 'Beach Babe' and other such mock-inducing sentiments splashed across them.

:D :D I HATE those tops. I don't like glitter on clothes in general anyway - but the last thing I want is something written across my chest like that!!

I know exactly what you mean about being at home in there too. I still pop in from time to time when passing - I always felt like I belonged there. It's great being able to shop in all these other places but they feel quite alien... :eek:

The Evans in Churchill Square have watched my kids growing up - the staff recognise me, we chat, they even let me know when stuff is going in the sales so not to buy it then and there!! :eek: I love their shoes - my feet are wide and flat - and because the store is quite new the aisles are wide enough for me, pushchair and kids to walk around without knocking over stock.

Most of the staff are about a size14/16 although there have been bigger people there. And whenever I buy stuff they always comment on my weight loss and how well I'm doing.

I used to hate the whole idea of Evans - it was one place I promised myself I wouldn't shop given the choice - but you know what? It's always gonna be part of my high street experience because I like the people!

Before starting Lipotrim I couldnt fit in any of there clothes .....so after losing 4 stone I was shocked to get in there 26/28`s ......I was just happy to be able to get the clothes on....lol.

Evans was there when I needed it & I'm thankful for that, but I promise myself that I will never shop there again, because I'm gonna be slim, yahoo

Evans gave me my first chance at dressing fashionable.....I now flit between there and Dorethy Perkins as I can finally fit in their clothing...only problem I have with Evans is that some of the tops I have got there. The material can be too flimsy and after a few washes end up lookin to old to wear!!
But all in all I am thankful to them.

Don't get me wrong - I'm thankful to them too - at times it was the only place I could buy a pair of jeans! Oh and the tights ... but on the whole it is all a bit "young" for me now (at the ripe old age of 41!") - I too abhor the glittery type tops with stuff written on them! I am just looking forward to having more CHOICE, really ....
Another shop I like - for work clothes - is Ann Harvey - fab, good quality well- fitting suits - but I am 5'11 so I daresay not many people would agree with me as if you are under 5'8 the skirts must be damn near trailing on the floor. Oh and dont get me started on ELVI - some lovely coats and jackets and tops - but more often than not they spoil their shirts etc by putting a big flowery embroidered monstrosity on them ... not my cup of tea!

I was in Debenhams yesterday and saw that John Rocha goes up to a size 22 - I never knew that.

Cath

but I have to say that I'm a bit ticked off with the way they've shifted their focus to being soley a 'high fashion' store with those god-awful crinkly shirts (sorry - but if I owned one I'd just HAVE to iron it flat!)

I did have to laugh at this one!! I bought one of those crinkly shirts in the sale this winter, jut because I didnt have to iron it!! LOL!! Now, of course it is too big so I dont have to wear it any more!!

I also agree with all the other quotes about glittery writing and things emblazoned across your boobs....YUK:sign0137:

The other thing I really hate, and dont understand is the insistance on sleeveless or very short sleeved tops. I am a big woman (well, lots smaller than b4, but still big!!) and my arms are not fit for public viewing!! Little cap sleeve tops in the summer are fine for skinny minnys, but not for fat cats like me!!:boohoo::boohoo:

Still, in the past they have been a lifeline, so I guess they do fill a gap in the market for us larger ladies!:character00238:

The other thing I really hate, and dont understand is the insistance on sleeveless or very short sleeved tops. I am a big woman (well, lots smaller than b4, but still big!!) and my arms are not fit for public viewing!! Little cap sleeve tops in the summer are fine for skinny minnys, but not for fat cats like me!!:boohoo::boohoo:

Which reminds me of my pet peeve! Why do size 9/10/11 shoes invariably have heels and size 3 and 4 are flatties. Surely if youve got big huge feet you probably dont want to add another 5 inches to your height and if you only have ickle size 3 or 4 feet then a couple extra inches would probably be welcome!! Drives me nuts that.

Back