Simon (Bolero's) Food Diary

Thanks. :) I'm very pleased, and excited to see how quickly I can get back until the 19 stone mark. :)

Trying a new recipe tonight. It's a recipe I got from the BBC Good Food website for a Greek lamb with orzo stew thing. Haven't got any lamb though, so I'm making it with a pack of Quorn lamb style pieces I've had in the freezer for forever and a day, so hoping that goes well. :) Not quite sure how it's going to portion out, though, as the recipe I've got is meant to serve 6...but I've halfed everything from the original recipe, as I don't want the dish to be lasting me a week. lol. Expect it could feed 3 or 4, but I've provisionally taken it as serving 2...which I may re-assess later. Recipe is below, for anyone who might want to give it a go. Will work the points out again if I change the portion sizes, but it would come out to 11pp a portion if the dish serves 3. :)

Greek Style Quorn with Orzo
ProPoints® Value: 17
Servings: 2
Preparation Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 60 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients
200 g Quorn Lamb Pieces
1 medium Onion, sliced
1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon, Ground (level)
1 stick(s) Cinnamon, broken in half
Fry Light Sunflower Oil
1 can(s) Tomatoes, Whole or Chopped, Canned (large)
600 ml Chicken Stock, Fresh
200g Orzo Pasta
4 tablespoons Cheese, Parmesan
Instructions

1. Heat oven to gas mark 4. Add the Quorn, onions, oregano, cinnamon sticks, ground cinnamon & cooking spray to a wide casserole dish, and cook uncovered until browned.
2. Pour over the chopped tomatoes and stock, cover tightly, then return to the oven for 40 minutes.
3. Remove the cinnamon sticks, then stir in the orzo. Cover again, then cook for a further 20 mins, stiring halfway through. The orzo should be cooked and the sauce thickened.
4. Sprinkle with the granted Parmesan, and serve.

Orzo is a type of pasta in the shape of grains of rice. First time I've cooked with it, to be honest, but it was really nice. Very much enjoyed the dish. :) I'd say the recipe would definitely make three portions, as it was quite filling. Next time I'm going to get some lamb and do a meat version. :)

Nice. :) Haven't tried any of the hairy dieters recipes yet, but loved watched the repeat of the series last week. But then Si & Dave are always good. Love their programs! :)

Might have try the Greek Style Quorn with Orzo, sounds good. well done with the 5lb lost . Nice founding another man doing ww i can nick some ideas.

Evening all. Sorry I've been away for a bit, but I've reasons for that: first is that I've been trying intermittent fasting, with mixed success. I say mixed, as I'm finding it difficult to stick too...so I think I'm best coming back to WW, as I know it well and feel comfortable with it. Second is that I've been very emotionally fragile of late, for a number of reasons.

Don't know if I mentioned at the time, but at Christmas we found out that my aunt was diagnosed with lymphoma...sadly advanced lymphoma, and was told at that time that she wouldn't live to see Christmas without chemo. Even with it, it doesn't look good. Given my family's history (and indeed my own personal history) with the Big C, it's a very upsetting area to revisit for us all.

With that has been the added stress of the ongoing situation with my (and lets be honest about it) lousy friends, who all decided that 2013 was a perfect year to spring back into my life and re-open all the old wounds. With one it hasn't been going too bad, as I've not given her a chance to start messing with me again the way she did before. With the other, though, it's more complicated, as she's the mother of my god-daughter...and as such there'll always be a degree of closeness between us, and soft old me deeply wants things to go back to when we were good friends. I'm afraid, though, it seems that old habits die hard, as she only seems to want to know me when she wants something...and honestly giving me a sob-story to guilt me into giving her money is NOT at all what I need when I'm an emotional mess, and has left me feeling incredibly used.

I'm not even going to approach the topic of my love-life, as that's just a matter of me attracting one person...who would make misery and servitude feel like a blessed relief in comparison to a relationship with them!

All in all I have been needing (and indeed still greatly need) my friends a lot. I know I'm hard work a lot of the time, so really hope my friends understand that I'm not really myself at present.

But anyway, in less morose news...I was 2.75lbs down on the scales this morning, which puts me close to getting back into the 18s. Hopefully I can hit those in the next two weighs.

And as this is meant to be a food diary, I shall resume doing these. :p

Didn't get to have brekkie today and only had a small lunch as I had a phonecall to rush off to work shortly after getting up, so was a bit hectic. Dinner was the orzo thing I posted about previously, but made with lamb this time instead of Quorn. Very tasty!

Lunch
WW Beef Hotpot Ready Meal - 6pp
Tomato & Vegetable Cup a Soup - 3pp

Dinner
Greek Lamb & Orzo - 19pp
Warburton's Square Wrap - 4pp

Snacks Etc.
Warburton's Square Wraps filled with chicken roll (2 wraps, with 6 slices of chicken roll & ketchup) - 12pp
Muligatawny Cup a Soup - 3pp
Golden Wonder Crisps Cheese & Onion Flavour (2x 25g bags) - 7pp
Curly Wurly - 3pp

Dailies Used:
57 of 58
Weeklies Used:
0 of 49

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your aunt, and that things are pretty tough at the moment. Well done for losing weight when you feel like you do - it can be very difficult to stick to any kind of plan at times like those.

We were talking at home this afternoon about 'friends' who only get in touch when they want something - as one did exactly that to us today. He only ever rings when he wants some help with something, and although that is what friends are for, it gets a bit wearing when they are the only times they get in touch. I also had a so called 'friend' s*** on me in the biggest way last year, and I will never, ever forgive what they did. (I very rarely say 'never,' so this was a biggie). It takes a while to get over it - often you think you are doing really well, and then something seemingly insignificant will set you back, so I can perhaps appreciate a bit of how you feel. Sending you cyber-hugs and hoping you feel better soon.

Thanks. :) Very much appreciate it. Hope all is well with yourself. :) Feeling a bit better this morning, although worried about the snow very much. I'm meant to be working in Llantrisant today...a good half hour drive from home. But there's been 6-inches of snow here overnight and is currently "snowing like hell", so I think I'm just going to my local library for safety...and partly as I full expect we'll be closed by mid-morning anyway. No way in hell am I getting stuck in the car again. Last time it snowed badly during the winter of 2010 I was down at Llantrisant with the car, and it took me 5-hours to get home...and I'd only passed my test the week before that. Not going through that again!

This "friend" hurt me in a much deeper way than anyone ever has in my life, and given that I've had some pretty rotten friends in the past that's saying something. Don't get me wrong, I'll do absolutely anything for my friends...but the key word there, I think, is "friends". If you make someone feel like you're using them and leave them feeling belittled and worthless in your eyes, then that is not friendship. If she'd treated me right these past few years I'd have bent over backwards and found a way to help, even though it would have meant me getting into financial difficulties. Ah well.

Sorry you're having a bad time! It's good to vent things.
You've done really well to get a loss going through all that well done :0)

Try not to be so soft. You need to find who your real friends are.

Are you still looking for a move with your job? Maybe a move would do you good, meet some new people.

Hope I'm not speaking out of line :0/

Keep your chin up :0)

H Hon, I have wondered where you were. I'm sorry that the people you have around you are such worthless lowlifes ( am I allowed to say that on here?) You may have started the year on a low note but we will all do our best in any little way we can to ensure the only way is up for you now. Fingers crossed that this is indeed how things go for you.:bighug:

Thanks all. :) Very much appreciate everything. :) Back home from work now (they chucked us out before 10 lol), and relaxing with some oxtail soup. Nom!

Keeping an eye out for work, but there's not much going around here at present sadly. The sad truth of life in the Rhondda, I'm afraid, where we're dependent on the public sector for work. Sure somat will come up soon, though, and I'm sure that would help a lot & solve quite a lot of the stress I feel. :) The time will come, I'm certain of it, and at present I think even a secondment would help me in the short term...a nice post as a branch librarian, even for a short period, would be perfect for my CV!

For today, snow angels maybe? Even though they do tend to come out as devils. Can't quite work out why. :eek: lol.

Oh, and anyone seen Les Mis by any chance? Saw it Monday, and I'm currently boring everyone with my thoughts on it. ;)

Today's food diary:

Dinner today was going to be beef stew, but I decided to play with it a bit and chucked in a tin of tomatoes and some spices to make a chili instead. Suppose it's chilli con carne, minus the beans and with chunks of meat instead of mince. Tastes the same anyway. lol. Having that with a baked potato tonight.

Breakfast
Oat So Simple Porridge - 4pp
Skimmed Milk (200ml - for tea & porridge) - 2pp

Lunch

Dinner

Home-made chilli con carne stew
* stewing steak (125g) - 2pp
* Carrot - 0pp
* Oxo Cube (x2) - 1pp
* Tinned tomatoes - 0pp
* Onions - 0pp
* Chilli - 0pp
* Cumin - 0pp
Baked Potato (316g raw) - 6pp

Snacks Etc.
Oxtail Cup a Soup - 2pp

Dailies Used:
Weeklies Used:

Evening all. I shall update my eating part of the diary tomorrow, if I remember. Feeling myself a bit more today. Got work out the way for the week, and am hoping that this snow can bog off before I'm next due in on Wednesday.

Almost ruined my diet today by having a major desire for curry, but with a little encouragement I made me own instead and saved myself from the pitfalls of the takeaway. Quite nice really, as I bunged a load of veg & a sausage in a reggae reggae Caribbean curry sauce. Quite tasty.

Also watched Les Mis again. Love that musical, even though no matter how many times I watch it I still think Marius is a nob. lol. Poor Eponine. :( Not at all ashamed to admit that I did cry when I saw the film. Very well done is that film!

Morning all. I really need to stop forgetting to update here, I think. Too much on my mind really. Didn't have a particularly good day yesterday...mainly the stuff I mentioned earlier really, which I imagine is going to take a little while for me to get over completely. Hoping today will be better.
Bit apprehensive about the snow still too, as it snowed again last night...and I don't know what I should do. Main roads were clear yesterday, and I'd been planning on getting the car out to go to my usual place of work today. But now, I just don't know. Don't even know if we'll be in work for a full day. Think I'll just go local at first, assess the main roads, and then decide if I have too. All in all, though, I'll be glad when it rains on Friday!!!
With everything, though, I've been battling the urge to just go to the chippy after work...have something warm and comforting, although I know this would be a disaster dietwise. Maybe if I hadn't already eaten my weeklies, but for now this mental battle will continue. Roll on Thursday...new set of weeklies, hopefully feel less stressed, and hopefully I can unwind this evening.

That's me fresh off the scales, with a 2 pounds loss this week. I hadn't expected to show a loss this week, especially a substantial one, as I'd pushed my points to the limit...comfort eating entirely, as I've not really been at my best emotionally as I've mentioned. Few things on my mind that I intend to seek a little advice about later on, but anyway... This loss puts me within three quarters of a pound of the 19-stone mark again...which I'll be very pleased to pass over again.

Back