Simon (Bolero's) Food Diary

I think Italian has always been my favourite food. :) There's something so delicious about the mix of flavours in the cuisine that is impossible to resist. Although to be fair, you are hard pressed to find any cuisine I don't like. :p

Work is really dragging at the moment, as it's gone so quiet in the run up to Christmas...mix of the usual Christmas lull, and the fact they're doing a big refurbishment at the leisure centre we're now a part of that does leave the impression we're already closed. Still, it does have the added bonus of a fancy new refurb to the gym which I'm completely intending to take advantage of in the new year. :)

I agree! Pasta and pizza.. mmm! I always associate the taste of melted cheese with italian too, and I adore melted cheese :p I'm not too keen on anything overly spicy and curries of any kind aren't my thing either :)

Sorry to hear that work is dragging, I should really start getting back to the gym again myself but I'm in that lazy winter frame of mind where I don't want to do anything but snuggle up under a duvet in front of the TV and eat rubbish, lol :p

Morning. Just off my scales, and it's a surprising 1.75lbs off this week...which finally eradicates the weight I gained in Aber last month, and puts me with 1.25lb of my 10% mark...or 1.75lb will put me back at the lowest weight I hit three Christmases ago when I first did WW back when it was on discover. Hoping I can get to the 10% mark by next week. Would be a fantastic milestone to reach at the last weigh before Christmas. :)

I just adore cheese! With the exception of blue cheese (which I find too salty), I'm yet to find a cheese dish that isn't delicious. If you ask me, cheese is the the most genius invention ever thought of! :)

Work is going better now, as I've got a day off next week I hadn't expected. We've got to close on Wednesday as the leisure centre are having their electricity supply changed as part of the refurb, and so they're closing for the day...and since you can't enter the library without entering the leisure centre, we've no choice but to close. Rather than go work elsewhere for the day, though, as the initial plan was, I asked if I can take the day off out of my annual leave...and since there's no cover implications, I've got it off. Perfect just before Xmas...gives me time to do some shopping I hadn't got around too. :)

Morning, & thanks. :) Very pleased on the loss, especially as I'd not expected it. :)

Feeling a bit meh this morning. I grabbed an early night last night due to a migrane, and it still seems to be lingering this morning. :( Have taken some pain stuff, so hopefully that will kick in soon as last thing I want is a migrane at work.

It's mainly the last minutes bits & pieces I've got left to do (things like tonic water, cheese biscuits, cheese, mince pies, etc.), but I'm also yet to get my mum's Christmas present...so it's a bit of an important thing to need to get. :p Not a clue what to get her though, so that's going to be interesting. lol.

Aw, I sympathise completely, had the same on Mon!

Not much left to do then.. :) Maybe some kind of homemade hamper for your Mum? Can be relatively inexpensive and has a homemade feel.. breakfast (egg cup + kinder egg, her favourite cereal, something to read, puzzle book, biscuits, juice, pastries, jam/marmalade, tea/coffee, mug etc) or an after dinner one with wine, chocolates, bubble bath, a book etc..

Otherwise jewellery is always a safe bet if you know her tastes :p Have a great day, hope the migraine subsides soon enough!

I seem to have gone AWOL again. Sorry about that. Busy time of year really, and between Christmas stuff, work and catching up on a load of stuff I've been a bit quite online. :p Still keeping at it, though, and am just enjoying a cajun chicken fettucine I picked up at ASDA, which is just yum. Well worth the 9pp it used!
Just trying to work out, though, when I'm going to have time to ice the Xmas cake. Had planned on it tomorrow, but I've got called in for overtime again...and the allure of an extra 8-hours pay was hard to resist! It may prove to be a busy week! :p Still be worth it on pay day, as I've worked the equivalent of an extra 3-weeks this month in overtime! That'll pay a good few bills! :p

My mum has, apparently, dropped some pretty big hints about what she wants for Christmas to my dad...so I'm dragging him shopping with me Wednesday. lol. Thanks for the suggestions. :) I think next year I'll get myself more organised (and lets face it, it would be hard for me to get less organised!!) and give a hamper a go. :)

Good luck shopping for mum. I find it hard to be adventurous with gifts and normally stick with something safe for my mum. This year she has some nice pjs and the Miranda dvd box set :0)

Thanks. :) I went unadventurous in the end with gifts for mum, and got her pjs and chocolates. Know she'll be happy with them, so job done. lol. :)

Had a bit of a mixed news day today. Got the Christmas card from one of my cousins, and got the sad news that my Great Aunt Elsie hasn't long been diagnosed with lymphoma. Hoping that she'll be alright, and keeping her in mind naturally.
Good news in the card too, in that my cousin's daughter is getting married in August...so making plans to go to that now. :) Seeing as it's the side of the family I'm doing my one-name study in, thinking it might be nice to make a gift out of that. A family tree cross-stitch maybe as a keep-sake? Shall have a think.

Last day of dieting for the year now, and very much excited for the morning. I'm cautiously optimistic and hopeful that I'll reach my 10% mark. My stomach is feeling quite flat, and I feel that I've lost weight. Fingers crossed that the scales agree with me.

Well weigh in went much better than I'd even hoped. Dropped 2.75lb this week, which comfortably breaks down two goals I had. Reached my 10% mark, and got myself below the lowest weight I'd reached when I was doing Discover three years ago! I'm very happy to be finishing my dieting year at this weight, and am looking forward to the new year now. I'm determined to get to goal by this time next year! That works out to just over a pound a week, so fingers crossed. :)

Thanks. :)

Just got back from my work's Xmas meal, which was lovely. Really enjoyed it...had mussels for starter, chicken wrapped in prosciutto and stuffed with mozarella & asparagus for main, and chocolate tart for desert. Was fantastic, and can highly recommend La Trattoria in Talbot Green for anyone who might ever be in south Wales at any time. :p :)

Also been counting up the gifts I've received from friends & so forth at work, and have realised I have amongst other things no less than 11 boxes of chocolate. Not quite sure what I'm going to do with that many chocolates! lol.

Well, we've so far managed to start on four of the different boxes of chocolates. The joy of having different tastes in the house. :p

Just made the stuffing for Tuesday. Having goose again this year, which is in my opinion a far superior meat to turkey...but that's me. :p Made a twist on sage & onion, with pears in it (got the idea from a Christmas episode of Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall River Cottage programs). Hoping that goes well with the goose, but think it should. :)
I'm tending to try a different stuffing each time I cook goose. Only done goose twice before, but the previously recipes were a traditional French recipe (stuffing made from black pudding, with port and a shed load of garlic. That was lovely, but seemed to last forever as it was super filling) and last year a traditional British one (I got a Victorian chesnut stuffing recipe, which worked perfectly...but I really wasn't going to the effort of peeling chestnuts this year, as it took me and my mum about 4 hours peeling them between us last year. lol).
All in all it's going well, and Mr. Goosey will be cooked tonight now as I always pre-cook the goose...and I'm in work tomorrow.

Hmm, I don't think I've ever tried goose (or can recollect the taste!) We're having beef and duck :) My Nan's bought about 8 different kinds of stuffing this year lol, but sage, ionion and pear sounds yum :)

Peeling chesnuts doesn't sound like the most thrilling task ever, I get bored part way through a bag of potatoes, lol :p

Hope tomorrow's day at work doesn't drag on although I imagine it might as it'll probably be really quiet in the library. Take care nevertheless, I hope all goes well with the cooking of the goose :p

Merry Christmas all. :) Hope everyone has a lovely day. Don't eat too much cake...delicious cake. lol.

Haven't opened any pressies yet, but already had a lovely reply to a family history puzzle I spent all day yesterday solving for someone. That and the finale for 'Merlin' yesterday has left me feeling all lovely. lol. Now bring on the dinner and Doctor Who later. lol.

Happy New Year, all. :)

I'm really not looking forward to Thursday, when I weigh in and find out the damage I've done over Xmas. Whatever the gain is, though, I'm ready to get back onto the whole diet track. I've had my fill of eating and drinking, and am determined that I'll never go back to that lifestyle full time. Want to get my energy back!

Last edited:
Back