SLOW COOKER RECIPES

thanks ladies for all these recipies... have a slow cooker tucked away in the cupboard which I am now going to get out and use tomorrow... can't wait to try all these recipies

Beef Brisket SIN FREE!!!

4 pounds fresh beef brisket
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons paprika
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

In my slow cooker now :D Does anyone think I should add some water as off out in a bit?

Directions:
Trim all excess fat from brisket. Combine seasonings unti well blended; rub into brisket. Place meat in crockpot with fat side up, cutting to fit if necessary. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 12 hours. Remove brisket from liquid and cut across the grain into thin slices. Serve with juices.

Tamarind Chilli Chicken

I have a question about the Tamarind Chilli Chicken. I have bought the tamarind from tesco, its says it is Tamarind fruit pulp. The packet says to dissolve it in boiling water, strain the pulp & seeds using a sieve then use the liquor in cooking.
So I need to do all this or just cut off the amount i need from the block and add it to the recipe??
The slow cooker needs to go on by midday, so a reply by then would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Ooh, not sure - mine just came in a jar ready to use! it sounds like you have a pre-processed version and would need to follow the instructions on the packet before you can use it.

Thanks circs, thats what i did. I must say did not look very appetising. Its cooking away now. My H could not find the paste in a large Tesco Extra store. Hope its still nice.

I made this and I thought it was lovely.

Chucked in some frozen spinach, quorn pieces, chopped up carrot, onion and sweet potato. A tin of blitz tomatoes, 2 tbsps curry powder and sliced some potatoe slices on the top and just left it on high to cook. It was a bit like sag aloo - and served it with boiled rice and tasted delicious and didnt need watching.

I just bought a slow cooker aswell. I made chicken cassarole in it. It was lovely. Nice to come home after a hards days work to the smell of cassarole ready to serve

I agree - I'm converted. Short of someone having the dinner ready for me when I get in from work, this is second best thing!

can anyone advise me please!!

I want to make spag bol in the slow cooker. Would i need to brown the mince off before i stick it in with all the other stuff?

Was planning on putting in onions, mushrooms peppers and garlic along with two tins of toms? Would this be ok?

Personally I don't usually bother browning off the meat before I put it in a slow cooker so I think you would be OK.

slow cooker chicken tikka masala recipe needed!!!!

Does anyone have a receipe for chicken tikka masala done in the slow cook?

Thank you.

xx

Last edited:
2tsp lazy ginger
2 tsp lazy garlic
1 tsp lazy chilli
1 tsp paprika
ground black pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garam masala
2 onions
slices/chunks chicken
chicken bovril
1 can chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp very low fat yoghurt(I like total 0%)

dry fry the onions until soft lightly browned.
Add all the spices and fry for 2 mins.
Add chicken bovril in 3/4 pint water
Add the chicken and cook for 2 - 3 mins
Add the tomatoes (whizzed until smooth)
Transfer to slow cooker.You could just throw it all in from the start but I find it tastes better this way.
Cook on high for 30 mins then turn down to low.
Depending on cooker usually ready after about 4-5 hrs.
If too thin remove lid and turn up heat until sauce thickens.When ready stir in yoghurt.You could leave it cook for while tom warm yoghurt but I usually find its ok. Taste it first to make sure.

Ive adapted this from other recipes on the site. If it tastes a bit bitter add a afew sweeteners to the sauce.

Here's one you can also try I adapted from my slow cooker recipe book

CHINESE CHICKEN & MUSHROOM
2 Large Onions
4 skinless Chicken joints
2 Tbsp Soy sauce
150 ml stock this can be made using bovil so no syns
Juice 1 Lemon (i use jiff)
1 tsp Sweetener
350g Mushrooms halved or quartered if large
Fry light
2 level tbsp cornflour (7 syns)
Salt and pepper
Brown chicken in fry light and transfer to slow cooker, fry onion in same pan until soft, stir in the cornflour and stir in the stock gradually, stirring all the time. Add Remaining ingredients and bring to boil.
Pour over the chicken it takes 3 ½ hours on high in my slow cooker and its delicious
Serves 4
2 syn’s per portion

def some great suggestions here!

I know there has been an upsurge in slow cooker conversations over the last few days so thought I would post this to prove to slow cooker newbies it's not all casseroles!

Vegetable Frittata
Serves 6
Syns= depends what you do with the cheese-syn it or hex it!

3 peppers, diff colours, deseeded, and cut into chunks
1 courgette, cut into chunks
1 aubergine, cut into chunks
1 red onion, sliced
12 cherry tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
12 small new potatoes, washed and quartered
frylight
seasoning
8 eggs
10 tbsp grated parmesan cheese= 15 syns

Put peppers, courgette, aubergine, onion, tomatoes, garlic and potatoes into the slow cooker.
Spray with frylight, mix well and spray again.
Put on the lid and cook on high for 2 hours.
Whisk the eggs and half the cheese.
Season and pour over the veg.
Replace lid and cook for 1 hour or until the eggs have just set.
Remove the crock from the base, and sprinkle over the rest of the cheese.
Run a knife round the edge to loosen and leave uncovered for 5 mins before serving

Homemade Baked Beans
Serves 4
Syns=1 per portion

5oz dried haricot or butter beans, soaked overnight
400g tin chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
2 tsp sweetner
10fl oz cold water
seasoning

Drain and dry the beans and throw them with everything else into the slow cooker.
DO NOT ADD SALT AT THIS POINT AS IT WILL MAKE THE BEANS TOUGH!
Cover and cook on LOW for 8-9 hours.
Season and serve!

Back