Spending too much!

We've got to have a treat x well I'm going to try more chicken got mine cheap too, ready cooked from asda £2.59 reduced makes it taste better when its a billy bargin x

I'm reopening this thread as I'm worse than ever! So for the week I've withdrawn £50 cash and that's it! Hopefully will mean less venison and more planning! Aldi/lidl tomorrow after work, took chicken from the freezer for tomorrow lunch curry! X

ive tried to cut down this month too and dont get paid till end of week. Eating more chicken and mince and trying not to waste food. Have had venison meatballs today though:)

I've never tallied how much I spend on food for my 17 year old son and I, however I know I am saving money following the Dukan diet. I use to eat out a lot, and now I am preparing all my food at home. So, that is a huge savings for us. I much prefer going out and letting someone else prepare the food for me, however I just am not willing to risk it. I mean, how do I know if they are slipping in oil or other fats or even sugar? I bought a diet soda out today and asked my son to taste it twice before I would even drink it just to make sure it is a diet soda. LOL

I must admit, like Hike (Laura), I've not tallied up what I'm spending, but it's got to be less than I used to.

I had takeaways at least once a week, and that was usually a bucket of fried chicken (gotta love that Colonel!) for myself, hubby and my daughter, costing about £15-£20 once you added on the drinks and gravy etc.

Also, I was a wine fiend, and must have downed a bottle most nights, costing around £5 a bottle (hope my GP isn't reading this!! LOL)

So there was about £50 before I started on 'proper' food!!! (And I'm sure my liver and my kidneys are thanking me).

Now I buy a ready cooked chicken from Tesco (around £5) and that lasts 2-3 days, also minced beef, and lunch is usually a tin of salmon (bulk bought when it was offer @ £2 per tin). I also buy the cheapest stewing steak and put that in the slow cooker, so I can have a casserole a couple of times a week.

As with anything, there are cheaper options. My diet isn't the most varied, but it works for me!

My tip for saving money is going to the supermarkets around the time they start reducing items. Most days after work I go to M&S and then my local Co-op. They are always reducing the fresh meat/fish, and you can just pop it in the freezer until you need it.

I'm terrible for looking for the bargains. I will do a sweep of allthe shops in one day if I can. I find that if I go shopping more than one day that I spend mroe.

Aldi has cheaper greek yogurt, UHT milk, mince, eggs, frozen chicken, frozen salmon, chicken portions are cheaper than Asda bags too...frozen that is. Coke is cheaper too.
Farm Foods has cheaper milk, and other family bits plus cheaper fish except salmon
Asda I buy quark, cottage cheese, meats,
Morrisons I sometimes buy the quark thou its cheaper, its a smaller tub. But they sell frozen mussells at a £1 each bag which is better value than fresh.
Aldi also do small chickens for £2.49 whereas a small cooked chicken in Asda is nearly £5.

I plan my whole weeks menu on a sunday, and I alternate my foods. Beef, Chicken, Fish, Mince, then round again. Lunches alternate with eggs, salmon, pate's etc.

I have an allowance of £300 a month and that feeds three of us for the whole month. i usually do a massive shop the first week which in total can be about £100 then the rest is split between the remaining three weeks. if its a 5 week month I do have slightly more money. This all includes buying pet food LOL.

But the way I see it, its not forever, because once I am in stabilisation i will be able to start eating similar to DD and DH, whereas at the moment I eat totally seperate foods, except on occasion when its chicken.

When I buy my meats, I split them into single portions and freeze them in grip bags. I then only have to get one bag out for which ever meat the night before so it defrosts. Its a case of getting into the habit of doing it.

A menu plan certainly helps to only buy what is needed, plus if you have foods inteh freezer when you do a plan you can work it round to using up the left overs.

It is def worth going shopping later in the day, and i also find like with Aldi, that first thing means i can get the cheap milk.

I am impressed with your budget DNF! I failed with my budget for the month as spent half of it the first weekend (and it was more than yours!) Get paid tomorrow so going to try again. We dont have the take aways we used to but i still dont seem to have any extra money left! We do tend to go shopping a few times a week and I think thats one of the issues

Well I'm just under £50 so far this week and have spent £4 on non food items so not counting that! Realised I've got 100 to pay my mum, 22 for a spree book, 30 to the orchestra and 10 to football that I hadn't even considered so this month's disposable income is zapped before I even get near the 2 planned nights out. Or that dreaded c-word! Due a good football pay next month though, and a better work pay too with overtime! X

Im making a list and sticking to it . What i spend a week is a disgrace and its just lazy spending. Thanks for bumping this thread....i needed a kick in the purse xxx

sididd said:
Im making a list and sticking to it . What i spend a week is a disgrace and its just lazy spending. Thanks for bumping this thread....i needed a kick in the purse xxx

Last pennies went on a coke out with friends. Gotta hope the parents pay on Saturday! Realised I have more to pay out this month too :( gutted!! Need a miracle before Christmas! X

Hmm could do with a miracle ourselves, maybe if we all wish hard enough.

My Housekeeping allowanvec has pretty much stayed the same, although i don't pay for my fuel out of it any more and I used to. I find I still run out of money though, then I end up having to use the savings money for a few bits. It usually because I might use the money to buy DH/DD a takeaway, or it buys bits like coffees at the dance class. Sponsor money and birthday gifts all come out of my housekeeping too which can reduce my allowance, but then if I have to use the house money it all balances out.

For years I have made lists for shopping, I'm sad enough to actually have a book and I just right the next weeks in it, I tend to start the month buying loads of meats and fish stuff, and then as the weeks go by I have a notepad on the cupboard so I only buy what has run out. It really is worth doing a menu plan first, usually a few nights before going shopping. Also, clear out the fridge for older foods. Sometimes having leftovers is a good alternative meal.

I think I need a list dnsf!! X

The notebook list is such a good idea. will start that. I'm always forgetting stuff in the supermarket.

I'm a so and so for having my list in hand, getting half way round the supermarket and seeing an item I knew I needed but had forgotten to write down...so I write it on there and then, then cross it off. Daft eh? But....when I am doing my monthly full list I look back at other months and it gives me a reminder of what i need.

Ive never been a meal planner and I've wasted so much as a consequence!! Still not planning daily but know what different things I'm making over the course of the week. Have pennies left of the budget so tomorrow will be lean!! £50 on food is a lot for one person!!

Ive never been a meal planner and I've wasted so much as a consequence!! Still not planning daily but know what different things I'm making over the course of the week. Have pennies left of the budget so tomorrow will be lean!! £50 on food is a lot for one person!!

I depends hun, when you think of the individual meats etc., it all adds up. Milk, yogurts etc are not cheap. Try buying some of the cheaper stuff, if you don't already. personally I think it rarely tastes any different from the more expensive stuff. I think sometimes if you work day to day with food you might change your mind and end up with something else...something you might have to buy. Also how often do you go shopping in the week. I do Farm Foods and Aldi on a Weds, and Asda on a Thurs. I hardly ever go shopping on any other day because I know I will spend more LOL.

Goodness, this spending money we are talking about is just on food right? Not including cleaning stuff and toiletries? Otherwise my allowance will be vulgar and I still run out!! I am like DNSF in writing a weekly meal plan and then do my weekly shopping accordingly. I must admit though that I dont find it as expensive because we used to eat a lot of meat anyway before I did Dukan, maybe about £80-£100 per month on meat only!! I buy my frozen chicken and fish from farm foods but then go to the farm for beef, mince and eggs. I find the supermarket beef tasteless and expensive for nothing. I usually portion my meat before freezing so I do not end up defrosting unnecessarily!

Just food becca! I'm trying to plan more now, and am own brand all the way! Now I know where my money's been going- food! If I can rein it in ill have more available for everything else!! X

Just food becca! I'm trying to plan more now, and am own brand all the way! Now I know where my money's been going- food! If I can rein it in ill have more available for everything else!! X

Phew, if you spend up to £200 on just you then I shall not feel too badly for how much I spend on 3 of us! :D

Back