Spending too much!

Mine includes other household expenses including the cat LOL.

We used to eat decently, but not a lot of red meat, occasionally fish and a lot of chicken. Farm foods all the way LOL. Although aldi frozen chicken is slightly cheaper and you get slightly more in teh pack...but I am not convinced it tastes nicer. will go back to farm foods for it when finances change. a lot of food we had would be things like crispy chicken pieces, fish fingers, pies etc. They still have all that and just occasionally I might let them have some of my beef!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

I portion freeze to becca, its much easier that way. I've done that with the mince too. I buy aldi's bigger pack and split it into 4 portions. I did once, and prob will do again, use the portion to make pattties and meatballs in different flavours and then froze them. Was a big cooking day that day LOL.

With toiletries, cat and cleaning I probably spend about £30-£40 so the rest is food....for 3 of us.

Its difficult sometimes because I want us all to eat healthily and whilst my daughter would probably eat most of wht I am eating, hubby won't. My food bill has gone up in some areas and down in others. Bread, crisps, sweets, starch, sugars.....all less a month because I don't use, but meats and chicken, all more a month obviously. Oh and eggs. I used to buy maybe 15 a month, now I can go through 15-20 a week!!!

We used to eat a lot of red meat, you should see us when we barbeque! :D No buns, no salads just meat! Maybe some sliced tomatoes, cucumbers and onions! We always cook from scratch so my shopping has always been big, I went shopping for the big shop on Friday and spend £250, that includes the toiletries and cleaning stuff. Will probably spend another £100 in farmfoods and at the farm!
Eggs :D I buy about a crate of 30 a week which costs £6 at the farm!! I use up to 6 a day myself and Cornie is known to make 6 egg omlettes just for himself!! :D

I think the other problem is when you are particular about brands. I will buy shop own on some things but not on some. I am particular about my tomatoes and will only buy heinz or napolitana. Cornie will not eat non free range eggs and will only use sanex bath/shower gel. The brands add to the bill obviously.

I probably have some tricks to learn because my housekeeping allowance more than doubles yours. We can all do with some saving in this financial climate!

Hi dnsf what do you buy from farm foods? Is the mince you get from Aldi < 5%? I need to sort out my shopping - I go to asda for convenience and I love the quark from there and turkey mince and smart price cottage cheese. Tried morrisons quark but really didn't like it and I eat a tub of quark a day!! Usually with my strawbs! I usually get my chicken portions from makro in bulk and freeze the portions. I make my own nat yog with my Lakeland yoghurt maker which I use constantly! It's my best ever kitchen gadget and I think I must have every gadget going. Had a halogen oven for bout 3 years but only just started using it as electricity is going up so I have dug it out - its really quite good! Should have been using it before now to save money! But that's me all over love the gadgets and then they get shoved to back of the cupboard with the pizza wizard, pie magic, waffle maker, doughnut maker, cupcake maker ........ The list is endless :)

My weekly shop for 2 has just cost me £54, no toiletries or house hold items

Zoesastar said:
My weekly shop for 2 has just cost me £54, no toiletries or house hold items

That sounds familiar!! Happens to me all the time. One time I went for the last week before pay when everything is running low and surprised myself by spending £138!!!!!

I dont tend to buy toiletries and household goods in tesco anyway, wilkinsons, savers, poundland etc are cheaper and a good excuse to go into town

Anywhere got cheap 5% mince or what do people recommend?! X

I buy steak mince and cook in advance then scoop of the fat. But ive done the same with farmfoods big bags and scooped the fat of that.

I only see the 5% in asda and tesco and they are not cheap!.

xeilidhx said:
Anywhere got cheap 5% mince or what do people recommend?! X

Buy the 10 or 12% and drain the fat, wash it if u want. Thats all i ever used, never gained eating mince! Tesco doing 750g of lean (12%) for £2.57!

How do I wash it? X

I've read about this online, first you brown the mince, then you pour/skim off the fat that's produced, then you do the same but this time after pouring on hot/boiling water and just rinsing it until the water runs clear x

How do you brown it?! That with water or dry pan? I'm useless!! I usually just bung it in water!

Also went to h and b for first time and oatbran wasnt in penny sale :( still 2 bags 2.90 so I'm all stocked up! X

You put the mince into a pan without anything on a low/medium heat but you have to stir it occasionally to make sure it's browned through, you'll see when it's cooked as it looks like the colour of cooked meat balls (browned), this usually creates a pool of juice/fat, you put a pan lid over the pan and tilt the pan to strain off the fat into an old can or tub (saves putting fat down the sink - bad idea)

then you're left with a tub of watery fat (get rid) and a pan of leanly cooked mince...now if you want it even more fat free - zoe's idea...

rinse what's in the pan with kettle full of boiled water and strain with the lid again until the water runs clear and you're left with the pan of mince meat and no fat or water x

Do u put stock in?? Or when do you do that? Do you cook it further after??

Have £9.50 left for the week now! X

I brown the mince off, then pour the whole lot into a collinder and rince with hot water and wipe the pan free of any excess fat... Not sure what the inside if my U-bend must look like now!!

Hi dnsf what do you buy from farm foods? Is the mince you get from Aldi < 5%? I need to sort out my shopping - I go to asda for convenience and I love the quark from there and turkey mince and smart price cottage cheese. Tried morrisons quark but really didn't like it and I eat a tub of quark a day!! Usually with my strawbs! I usually get my chicken portions from makro in bulk and freeze the portions. I make my own nat yog with my Lakeland yoghurt maker which I use constantly! It's my best ever kitchen gadget and I think I must have every gadget going. Had a halogen oven for bout 3 years but only just started using it as electricity is going up so I have dug it out - its really quite good! Should have been using it before now to save money! But that's me all over love the gadgets and then they get shoved to back of the cupboard with the pizza wizard, pie magic, waffle maker, doughnut maker, cupcake maker ........ The list is endless :)

Hi scooter this is what I buy and from where,

Farm foods shop its - Crabstix 29p pack, Chicken Fillets £4.99 or 2 for £8, rhubarb 3 packs for £2 (though not seen it for two weeks), milk, toilet rolls, (bacon, marge, icecream for family)
Asda - Quark, SP Cottage cheese (its actually lower than their other brand), turkey mince, beef (on offer), SP frozen prawns 200g bag for £1.50,
Aldi - Mince (no its not 5% but it is less fat that asda own, finance costs mean I had to compromise, and so far its been ok, been using it for few months), UHT milk for making own yogurt, semi milk when on offer, veg when on offer, frozen chicken fillets £3.99 a bag. Low Fat Greek yogurt (very nice),
I only buy my frozen bags of mussells from Morrisons now, £1 for loads. Quark is softer but is also smaller tub so not worth the savings.

Yes we all have a kitchen graveyard, I have just started reusing my bread maker to make my dukan bread. Slow cooker makes the yogurt, Halogen for lots of roast meats, bought a cheapish fry pan from Asda and that is used only on my food, and so far is excellent. One of my best buys is a set of three silicon spatulas, they are fabulous, considering getting another set as i seem to constantly be washing these others LOL. try using the waffle maker on sweet omelettes.

Ebay the rest LOL.

ps we're not allowed strawberries on Dukan till stabilis I don't think.

Also went to h and b for first time and oatbran wasnt in penny sale :( still 2 bags 2.90 so I'm all stocked up! X

It never is, not fair. Though it is usually in the buy one, get second half price sale. i bought my last lot online cos i had a voucher to use as well.

Dnsf....your a legend.....i need you in my life. Wish i could very half as organised. Superscrimper im putting you in the audition next series xxx

Back